Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MiFi idiot question.  (Read 1452 times)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
MiFi idiot question.
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:20:46 pm »

Another question for the IT/comms experts. I have a Nexus tablet which I think is great - in about 15 year's time I shall probably have scratched the surface of its capabilities. It would be useful to be able to check e-mail, Mayhem posts etc when I'm away from home (eg on caravan sites) so i need what I think is called a MiFi - a WiFi hotspot from 3G? I don't want to get a fancy phone to create a hotspot as I'm very happy with my little PAYG phone. However, the MiFis I've seen advertised all seem to give you so much data per month. What I want is one I where can buy a lump of data or connection, use it over time, and then buy some more when it runs out. I don't want to buy a lump of data that I have to use within a month, as I'll probably only use a few bytes and the rest will be wasted. Any ideas, Chaps? (PS Please keep the answers simple!)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MiFi idiot question.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 11:26:26 pm »

Every single one of them uses a large lump of data that only lasts either a month or three, and the only main ones I've seen in this country are on the Three network (the Huwai units) so you won't ever get any signal anyway.... %)

They are becoming available on other networks (Orange and vodafone) but again, monthly tariffs.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 06:55:14 am »

Who is your home phone/broadband provider? If you are with BT then you have access to WiFi around the world for free via the Fon network. You can buy time on the Fon network  if you are not a BT customer.

Barrie

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:29 am »

I bought a Archos 8o G9 tablet a month or so back, it's a brilliant piece of kit. I use mine indoors via my BT Home Hub, I can also use it outdoors in most places via the BT WiFi Fon network for free as Barrie mentions, and I also bought the correct Archos 3G stick for it (on the 3 network) for use in locations where there's no connection to the BT network. I find that the 3 network gives me super connection wherever I go.

The 3G stick costs me £10 a month to top up, I don't have to top it up if I don't want or need to, and that £10 gives me 1gB of data to play with, which takes some using.

With what I have I find I can connect to the 'net more or less anywhere I go one way or another...if there's no BT WiFi connection available, then there always seems to be a 3 connection available. Or vice versa...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:36:00 am »

I wonder if the SIM on the MiFi device is interchangeable? If so, and assuming that you don't get the doodad on a prepaid plan, then use the data that it comes with and then change the SIM to PAYG.
Alister
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.