Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Torpedo Boat ( not made up at all! ) restoration.  (Read 2370 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Steam Torpedo Boat ( not made up at all! ) restoration.
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:36:01 pm »

I have finally got my hands on one of the maddest boats ever built for the Display Team.
Back in 2007 my mate Graham started the build on an unusual model designed for a risky display routine. We will not be going into the risky bit at the moment :} The model was intended for our Manned Battleship routine, representing a steam torpedo boat of the era, it was to attack the big battleships and get frightened off by the use of sustained firepower. It needed to be very waterproof and built tough, hopefully unsinkable in  ( nearly ) normal use.
Built on a second hand 60" long WWII destroyer hull obtained from a member, it turns out it has already sunk in a previous life, so i'm hoping it has got that out of its system. The model was first fitted with a Vision 600 motor driving through an Olympus reduction belt drive. This produced a fast run but also lots of smoke from the electronics. Then it was upgraded to brushless with an 1100kv motor running on 7.2v. With this set up, it went like stink. There were some stability issues, probably related to the power output and the large size of the rudder. Following a few spirited runs the model was put aside as other projects came up.
Long story short, a few weeks ago I swapped it for an Aerokits Patrol Torpedo Boat ( Elco 80 ), and now it is mine :-)

These are pictures of its last run in May 2010, I dont think these pictures show it at full speed, I distinctly remember a bigger rooster tail!!
Anyway, I obtained it with no motor or radio gear etc and have been working on it over the last month and a half, and thought I would share some pictures of the work so far...

Somewhere under that exaggerated ram bow lurks a WWII destroyer bow. The plating detail has been applied with two layers of tape, which I then apply filler up to. rub this down and then remove the tape.

This stern shot shows the unpainted filler on the midships structure as vertical stripes. Also, aft is a Nordenfelt Machine Gun and aft conning position. The new stand is intended for transport and launch and recovery at the pond side.

This photo shows the crew to good effect ( cheers Helen :-)) ) and the new armoured conning position. All balsa wood construction, I forgot how easy this stuff was to work with. The rivets are applied with a syringe and blunt needle and are a mix of water based primer and PVA glue, drying time of about an hour. You can pick them off like scabs, however, I would rather you didn't <*<
More to follow...
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Steam Torpedo Boat ( not made up at all! ) restoration.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:18:25 pm »

Looking good mate. although it does look likes its crewed by 3 tommy cooper look at likes

keep up the madness

Glen

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 12:25:15 pm »

Nordenfelt 1" Machine gun from bits...

Consisting of a scratch built gun using square and round section K&S tube. The base is made up from a mix of a tapered end off a duff airbrush, copper tube and a spare wheel from a Tamiya Tiger tank. The whole lot is secured with an M4 bolt from below.

And a brass porthole at the base :-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 12:26:41 pm »

Oh yes, and a brass transmitter stick from a Hen Long radio control unit, it pays to recycle :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 12:38:43 pm »

Some good ingenuity & engineering there unbuiltnautilus  :-))............................................Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 08:10:16 pm »

These Torpedo boats are just mad.  Theres a German design with twin tubes over the bow and decorated with ornate gilt work, all very Jules Verne.  Smashing model!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Marmoi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 10:05:30 pm »

Excellent looking model, the Victorian era has some very novel craft.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 05:30:52 pm »

Cheers guys, I hope to do the model justice. I am avoiding the Vernian guiltwork if I can, however, steam pipes etc, fair game. Most of the brasswork has been painted over, a shame but I felt it looked too much like a builders model, however, a bit of hot pipework weathering could be incorporated into the build. Captain Nemo can only look on and wish he had one of these to play with :}
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.