Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian G5  (Read 4740 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Russian G5
« on: August 11, 2012, 07:47:54 am »

Been hankering after building the Russian G5 for some time, ever since I saw it on Models by Design table at Alesford last year. Found some info on the web, plus some Mayhem'ers stepped up and gave me some info, thank you all.
The hull looks more like a float of of a seaplane than anything and the "wheelhouse" is a conning tower of of a sub, weird looking thing, spitting image of the WW1 55ft CMBs built by Thornycroft. Bit of espionage there me thinks.

Had the hull for a bit and have been marking her up with some datum lines, there is not one right angle, flat surface or straight line anywhere. Joy.  She was built out of aluminium plate, riveted to frames. More joy. there are a lot of rivets. Going to do this by gluing thin strips of plastic to the hull and the gluing on the cut shapes of the plates. Hopefully that will give me the oil canning effect.Then I will do the rivets. Have a plan for that.
Ordered the shafts from ModelBoatBits, arrived within a week, good service. Seeing as I have measured of plans that are not  to scale I think I may well have got it right, 16" shaft, 6" tubes and 2 "P" brackets per shaft. Hoping to get these in this weekend.

Power is going to be 2 brushless, have ordered them, went against all I have ever said about not buying from shops when I found advice not very forthcoming and very expensive. Bought of the internet. Reckon powering boats is a bit of a black art so fingers crossed and have gone with Nicks suggestion. Ta.
Have attached photo I found on the web.
Cracking on with building now, while I can. Will put some piccies up when the shafts are done.

Colin

grumpy old XXX

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Russian G5
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:02:14 am »

Hi Colin,

Looking forward to following this build   :-))

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 11:35:37 am »

Awesome, saw the hull on the MBD site while looking for something else :-))

Cheers
Nick

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »

Thats what I wanted the motors for Nick.
The 4 "P" brackets are in, shaft spins free, good start. Tubes next. Fingers crossed.
grumpy old XXX

Yevgeniy

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:04:12 pm »

The hull looks more like a float of of a seaplane than anything and the "wheelhouse" is a conning tower of of a sub, weird looking thing, spitting image of the WW1 55ft CMBs built by Thornycroft. Bit of espionage there me thinks.
This torpedo boat was designed by Tupolev - famous Russian aircraft engineer (some may know Russian aircrafts named Tu- with various numbers - they are all his crafts) - and he used floats of a seaplane and British 44ft CMB left in Baltics and captured by Russians as a basis for his design. So you are right in almost everything ;-)

Glad to see this build started. Success with your project!

Cheers,

Yevgeniy

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »

Well, thats good to iI guessed almost right!
If you have any more info or suggest any sites i might not have come acrss, need more photos, freaking about the rivets!!
will put more photos up when there is more to show.

Regards

Colin
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:12:34 am »

been able to do a bit on her, not as much as i would have liked. tried to put some photos in a while ago but got kicked out so gave up. the motors and shafts are now installed. the original plan was to fix thin strips of plastic to represent the frames, then cover in litho plate. did it on the stern but was not at all impressed with the end result. ripped it of and sulked. the next plan was just to cut the hull plates out of litho plate and stick down, but now i am concerned about the extra weight, i know its not a lot but i really want to keep it down as much as possible. the rivets are ordered from Historex and come as decals, expensive but hoping the result will be worth it. only ordered one sheet for now, see how it goes. The wheelhouse has been rebuilt, from the proper plans and will be covered in litho plate. getting there. in the mean time does any one know where i can get torpedoes about 30mm Dia?
grumpy old XXX

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:40:08 am »

Looking good - need bigger pics though  :-))

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 07:25:49 am »

I have tried several times to get piccies on and they keep getting kicked off. will read the bit about inserting piccies.
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 07:37:06 am »

I just did try inserting with add image, same as before, but selected a larger size, no difference. via additional options, no joy at all. I know there is something about inserting images on the forum somewhere, is the only way with a image resizer download?
grumpy old XXX

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 11:22:00 am »

No expert but I think they are being refused because they are oversize - max 160kb.

I use ' Light image resizer ' just google it. Perfectly functional in private version.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »

hows this? just a bad shot of the gubbins.
grumpy old XXX

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 10:06:26 pm »

:-))

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 11:59:57 pm »

Looking good. Interesting subject.

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 07:50:09 am »

Made a start on the wheelhouse, cladding it in Litho plate to represent the plates, see how it works. Using this as a test bed for the hull.
grumpy old XXX

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 12:27:34 pm »

What about using the self adhesive metal duct tape? One of the Sub subjects used it as the skin detail on a plug for a G/F mold.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.