Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Maggie M - Model Slipway - An RJR build  (Read 41004 times)

karlshoj

• Shipmate
Re: Maggie M - Model Slipway - An RJR build
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2012, 09:25:17 am »

I have folowed your build with great interest, and like your sense of details and weathering. I just want to draw your attention to the rigging of the trawl doors which does not look correct. If you look at some of the photos in the link below you will see that the doors in real life is rigged with a three point bridle on either side - the bridle on the outside of the doors angle goes to the trawl wire, and the bridle of the inside of the angle goes to the trawl itself.

http://www.dmbl.dk/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=71&rowstart=20

Sorry to interfere - only thinks that such a nice build deserves to be rigged the correct way.

Kind regards Niels Hansen

Niels

RJR

• Full Mayhemer
  • Currently building Maggie. M
    • RJRDaydreamer
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2012, 10:32:34 am »

Thank you for following along and taking the time to share some information Niels, my knowledge of trawlers is limited to what I have gleaned while building this ( hence not a lot ). Spent ages trying to work out how to rig the trawl boards. I even went to a harbour ony to find most were stored on board unrigged, not hanging. Every picture I can find of the real Maggie is to unclear or it working as a Guard vessel. In the end I made it up. Thanks for the link I will try and get my head around the pics and rework mine to suit.
My Maggie M thread on mayhem www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38892.0
Blogging about life on www.rjrdaydreamer.blogspot.com
Member of Etherow Model Boat Club www.etherowmodelboats.blogspot.co.uk/

karlshoj

• Shipmate
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2012, 11:45:34 am »

Hope that my cardboard door will give you an idea of the rigging.
Same thing both sides of the door, but mirrorred, meaning that you have a vertical chain in either end of the door.
The line going out of the picture is the trawl wire going to the trawl winch, and the 3 legged bridle is chain.
On the back side the wire could be a piece of rope of taifun wire long enough to reach the net drum to be connected to the end of the trawl lines when trawl has been rolled out.

Sorry about my grammer, but English is not my mother tongue.

Niels
Niels

RJR

• Full Mayhemer
    • RJRDaydreamer
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2012, 01:59:23 pm »

That's really helpfull thank you ! And as a second language your English is excellent.

Perhaps you can help with another question , as the last picture of the aft of the model shows, the boat has two net drums, but the only winch that is visible Is the one on the wheelhouse roof. ( remember I said I knew nothing of the real thing ) either that is not the net winch and they are somewhere out of sight or the boat is designed for single net trawling with a spare net on a drum?
My Maggie M thread on mayhem www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38892.0

karlshoj

• Shipmate
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2012, 02:37:58 pm »

I am a former trawler captain myself - stopped 25 years ago, but still have an idea how it works.
I would think that the wire winches are located under the aft upper deck as they are not to be seen. The small winch on the wheelhouse roof is for sure the winch for the "trawl eye" cable. I am not sure about the english name, in Denmark we called it a "net sonde". It is a echo sounder transducer attached to the opening of the trawl, then a long cable to the winch on the roof connected to a monitor on the bridge, allowing the skipper to see if any fishes goes into the trawl. This winch automatically keeps the correct tension on the cable when in use. This cable could easily be as long as 300 to 400 fathoms.
The vessel could be rigged for single or dubble trawling. Single trawling means one spare net drum. Dubble means no spare. Both systems needs two trawl doors, and if dubble trawling you would have a chain weght, say 300 kg between the two trawls, and the a third wire winch for the middle trawl wire.

Happy to help
Niels
Niels

karlshoj

• Shipmate
Niels

RJR

• Full Mayhemer
    • RJRDaydreamer
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2012, 10:44:08 pm »

This is all very informative, thanks again. watching your video link I see now that the trawl door chains need to be rigged in such a way that the doors create the correct affect to part the trawl keeping the mouth of it open, the three chain bridle keeps the door angle correct in the water.

Would I be correct in assuming that the feed from the trawl wire under the aft deck could reasonable be seen to come out from either gantry and through the block as I currently have them, then connected to the doors. the bridle from the opposite side of the doors would then be fed round the aft of the boat and along the aft deck to the trawl on its drum. As per this marked up picture but with the door rigging corrected.

Red lines - under deck winch to trawl doors
Blue Lines - trawl doors to trawl

I will have to modify the trawl doors as they currently have 4 lugs on one side (concave) and only two on the other side (convex)

On a different note while getting my head around the above I have had some relaxing working on the lifeboat cannisters

John

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2012, 10:59:26 pm »

really coming on and looking excellent  :-))

karlshoj

• Shipmate
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2012, 09:01:24 am »

John,

It could be that the wires goes through the gantries to the deck. If so there would be a steel pipe say 150 - 200 mm diameter (dimensions in scale 1:1) build into the gantry to lead the wire.
I am not sure if I should read your blue lines as double lines or single ones, anyway it should be only a single line from each trawl door.

Niels
Niels

Duckie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:32 am »

Is there anything across the opening in the rails on the Port side, to stop men being washed overboard!, like you not very conversant with fishing boats, but seeing the TV programs its very rough in the fishing area's, never mind paying the price for fish and chips after seeing them programs.
Good modelling, how about showing your Plasticard trains on the Any Other Hobbies section?.
Duckie
www.petesboats.blogspot.co.uk
One Man and his Dog.

EMBC

• Shipmate
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2012, 05:40:39 pm »

John
Your model is lovely, super and splendid

You`ve added the rust, but.........What about the muck and grime in every nook and cranny?
It`s a bit too clean at the moment

Bob

RJR

• Full Mayhemer
    • RJRDaydreamer
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2012, 09:12:02 am »

Niels, the double blue line was just me being over enthusiastic with the "electronic" pen. I had planned on them being single. another question if you don't mind. With the doors rigged as discussed they would then hang differently on the side of the boat, almost 90 degrees from as they are now. Do the doors hang purely by the chains or are they hung on a bracket as well to stop them clattering. If on a bracket the chain could be modelled loose and the doors kept as is.

Duckie, the gap in the rail is where a gate goes, but to be honest it looks like a standard rail that can be folded down onto the deck. when in the "up position" it just looks like a continuation of the rail either side.

Bob, towards the end it will get a bit of a "dirty wash" Unlike rust, I find dirt more general, while still adding new details if it is toned down at this stage the new bits would stand out !

karlshoj

• Shipmate
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2012, 10:51:03 am »

John,

When at the fishing grounds the doors are released and hanging in the bridles - in a 60 degree angle or so, ready to be run out.
When not in use during steaming to and from the fishing grounds the doors are lashed in the position you have placed them, so that is OK as you have done.
Often you would see a rope across the deck between the two doors for the lashing.
What made me react was just the missing bridles, which disturbed my eyes. Apart from that minor detail everything looks really good.

Niels
Niels

karlshoj

• Shipmate
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2012, 10:58:09 am »

Just to make it all clear. The bridle you will see when the doors are in the lashed position will be the one leading to the net drums, the one leading to the trawl winch will be just hanging on the inner side of the door between the door and the bulwarks.

Niels
Niels

RJR

• Full Mayhemer
    • RJRDaydreamer
Maggie M Trawl boards
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2012, 08:13:17 pm »

Attempt 2 ... after my lessons from Niels I have reworked the trawl board rigging with what I believe better reflects how they should be. The boards now also have lashings to hole them in place whilst under steam to appropriate fishing grounds.

Whilst in the sunlight I also took the chance for a couple of front end gratuitous shots, including the new chain on the top of the jib.

Hopefully I have got it right now.

karlshoj

• Shipmate
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2012, 11:54:55 pm »

Just as should be  :-)).

Niels
Niels

RJR

• Full Mayhemer
    • RJRDaydreamer
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2012, 09:09:59 am »

Just as should be  :-)).

Niels

THANKS   :}

Duckie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »

Looking very nice John, hope you are putting it into the building competition at the club this year?, I know you will be adding detail to the build for weeks to come though.
Those life-rafts look very neat with the straps holding them in place, It all looks good but the attention to detail with those life rafts caught my eye.
Duckie
One Man and his Dog.

Duckie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2012, 08:34:10 am »

Anything else done recently??
Duckie
One Man and his Dog.

RJR

• Full Mayhemer
    • RJRDaydreamer
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2012, 08:54:08 pm »

Sorry for the lack of updates ! On our way home from Holiday we collected this little fur ball..

So a lot of evenings have started with the intention of doing some modelling and have ended with playing with a puppy instead....

But this week has seen some progress. The glazing is now in, but thanks to the canopy glue Duckie lent to me you can hardly see its in !!

I have also painted and fitted this little Side Roller Assembly, which involved chopping out the two lower hand rails, I hadn't realised they shouldn't be there.

The ladders to the roof and associated roof hand rail are fitted and painted

The main hatch front deck rails are fitted and painted too.

In theory she is now ready to go on the lake, having been ballasted and wired for some time now. I will see how brave I am and what the weather is like this Saturday.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2012, 09:05:51 pm »

Shouldn't it smell of fish John?  O0 {-)

Dave

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2012, 09:19:20 pm »

The section of rail you have missing should be continuous

Davie Tait,
Scotland

RJR

• Full Mayhemer
    • RJRDaydreamer
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2012, 08:25:30 pm »

It does smell of fish ! 1/32 fish !

Dave, if you mean the missing section of side rail, that your little man is looking at, its where the fold down gate section goes, I haven't got round to making that bit yet  ;)
If you mean the third side of the centre deck hatch, behind the little guy, that's artistic licence, as one side of the rails is part of the removable battery access hatch and the other is on the fixed deck, connecting with a third side between the two is a bit tricky. I may end up using a chain so it can be unhooked.

With the possibility of taking the puppy and the boat to the lake this weekend, I thought I best double check the ballasting after the recent addition of white metal details and also make a final check i had no leaks ! In the end I just needed to transfer one small bit of lead ballast from stbd to port to trim things out a bit. Ran the motor for a few minutes and had no visible leaks up the prop shaft. She is not complete but ready for sea (lake) trials.

Here she is in the bath tonight.

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2012, 07:58:55 pm »

Just looked at this build; I hate people with talent  ;). Wonderfull craftsmanship, love what you have done with the pilot house, and the weathering  :-)). Keep it coming.

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Duckie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2012, 04:05:46 pm »

As you say John, you knew that the rails round the hatch would have to be a bit of a mock up when you put the extra hatch in the front didn't you, the chain across would be the answer if nothing else springs to mind!.
Mark which way the battery goes in as sometimes they are heavier one way than the other and could upset your balance.
Duckie
One Man and his Dog.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.