Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motors - one battery?  (Read 2426 times)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Motors - one battery?
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:39:55 pm »

Opinions please: What is the best practice for a twin engine 'scale' type boat,

Two batteries, one battery for each motor, or,

One battery (on a Y lead) for both motors?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motors - one battery?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:50:00 pm »

Two batteries, two esc's, one esc has red wire pulled out of rx plug. Simples :-))

ACTion

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 02:11:18 pm »

With one battery per motor you risk one discharging before the other and the model becoming difficult to steer. One battery for both motors can be limiting to duration. Fit two in parallel if you can get them in there - and a P103+P94, of course!

Andy
Not all ESCs have internal BEC, dear boy. We had a customer just last week who wondered why nothing in his Aziz installation worked (all done according to the instructions, he assured me). It transpired that he had read similar advice to yours somewhere and had removed the red wires from every plug he could find, including the rudder servo, just to be sure.

DM

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 03:26:17 pm »

One would suggest he can be best described with a word beginning with a P and ending with a K. {-)

ACTion

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:08:40 pm »

One would suggest he can be best described with a word beginning with a P and ending with a K. {-)

Plank? We never  speak ill of our customers, Andy (well, not in public anyway..............); we merely seek to question some of the crazy things they say and do.
Dave M

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 04:18:31 pm »

You may not, but I can  {-)

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:30:17 pm »

i would use a power source ( 1,2 or more batteries in parallel ) with a y lead , that way that way it irons out any discrepancies in the batteries

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 10:31:22 pm »

Not really, a great many people are totally mystified by electricity, just look at the perpetual question that crops up after advice is requested, and someone mentions "BEC".  The fact that he did what he did indicates that he received incomplete advice, or had not remembered enough of it.  I expect that after a little instruction from Dave, he will have the proper way lodged firmly in his mind now.
He probably made a better looking boat than I normally manage, anyway.

One battery for simplicity, provided it can handle the current.  Two for reliability.  If the two can be arranged to feed the system BEC via diodes, so much the better.  Assuming that the one is the same capacity as the two added together, the two arrangement gives better flexibility for siting and weight distribution.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 12:23:11 pm »

I dont think it makes a great deal of difference, If you have a problem then you have a problem regardless of the battery arrangement. Simplicity would go for a single battery as large as can be fitted feeding both ESC's , 2 smaller in parallel gives no advantage electrically but each battery being physically smaller may be an advantage in handling. A battery per ESC gives a small measure of redundancy in that if one side goes down the boat may be able to be manoeuvred back to base.

Biggest advantage with one single battery is its only one battery to remember to charge before heading to the lake :-))

Nick

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 07:09:36 pm »

.... you know Nick, that's my gut feeling too... but I thought I'd check on here first.   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 08:28:44 pm »

Opinions please: What is the best practice for a twin engine 'scale' type boat,

Two batteries, one battery for each motor, or,

One battery (on a Y lead) for both motors?

ACTion distribution board will provide voltage for at least two motors from one battery as Im sure Mr ACTion will confirm!  :-))

You get the added bonus of other outputs from the Dist board too.

ACTion

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 08:37:04 pm »

You is singin' my toon, dude    8)
DM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 1.708 seconds with 21 queries.