Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumas Akula Build  (Read 3445 times)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Dumas Akula Build
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:16:21 pm »

Three weeks ago at the Stevenage lifeboat day, I bought an unbuilt but started Dumas Akula kit off our very own Klunk. I've just today finished it, and it's ready for its maiden run on Thursday.

I ditched the naff radio box that comes with the kit and have fitted my own home brew tank, it's running at 9.6v on an ACTion 555 motor, m****** speed controller (Sorry) and a 60mm 6 blade prop. I don't think full throttle will be used out on the lake, as the water reached halfway up the wall. Those huge planes can dive the boat in the length of the bath at full throttle anyway.

We'll see how it goes on thursday...

Andy :-)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Maiden run of the Akula
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:25:15 pm »

Akula went out to the lake today, and she sailed very well. Took it a bit tentatively, but managed to get a couple of decent dives in, the control on it is brilliant and the Microgyros leveller is superb, with the boat at periscope depth I still had a damselfly attached to the tallest scope. She sits at a nice scale speed and even dives on the throttle trim, so all in all very happy.

Next job with be to shorten all the servo wires and ESC wire. I'm getting a nasty bit of interference off something which is playing havoc with the ESC. Oddly, it disappears when the boat goes under. Will try again sunday when none will be on 40mhz.

Managed to hold the transmitter in one hand an the camera in the other, so here we go :-))

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dumas Akula Build
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:48:04 pm »

very nice  :-))

deboniu

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:35:01 pm »

Very nice indeed, hope to have my OTW type VII going later this fall, hopefully before my pond freezes over. I am new to this and learn a lot from all these posts. Thank you for sharing! :-)
Umberto
Canada

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:58:40 am »

Great run and very good photos. That is a thrill to look at. Congratulations!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:22:51 am »

Nice job Andy!

.... do you fancy building another one?    8)

Martin

(PM or ring  me)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.