Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else interested in watches? ....  (Read 11021 times)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Anyone else interested in watches? ....
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 05:22:44 pm »

A good solid brand, made famous of course by Steve McQueen's film Le Mans where he wore the iconic automatic Tag Heuer Monaco, probably up there with the most collectable of the watches made famous by films, as was of course the Rolex Submariner with it's James Bond connection.  knowing Tags, it will give you a good few years service yet too ....   :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »

Hi Essex I never tried it but I think you are right, but it looks nice with the MG logo on the face. Mike I can see you know a lot about watches & I do like the engineering that goes into them & can see why you collect them, a lovely but expensive hobby I think but then most hobbies are expensive if done well. Mike I make my living with my tools & take great care of them, you will not find a blunt chisel or screwdriver in my toolbox. Some tools I have had since I was 15 years old. I have some Britool sockets that I brought here to Canada over 40 years ago when I came here from U/K & have never damaged or broke any, very good tools I can say without reservation. Enjoy your watches Mike, I can see they are not status symbols to you but an appreciation of great engineering & you are correct they have helped us to explore our planet too.Mick B.
Mick B.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 06:17:31 pm »

We have father in laws Seiko Kinetic ( 750301 is the No on the back ) Is this an automatic winding watch? if I shake it, it seems to make winding noises but it only goes for a few seconds,
Shall I bin it or is it worth Millions.

Len.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 06:26:34 pm »

I can see they are not status symbols to you but an appreciation of great engineering & you are correct they have helped us to explore our planet too.Mick B.

And not only this planet either, you mentioned your Omega Speedmaster and of course that watch was carried by all the Apollo crews when visiting the Moon and is perhaps the ultimate tool watch. Before it was approved by NASA it, along with a variety of other watches, was put through amazing tests to ascertain whether it was suitable for the rigours of Space and the Speedmaster was the only one to survive... you may find this worth a read ... http://www.omegawatches.com/press/press-kit-text/1122 

It was also the Speedmaster that helped Apollo 13 get back when they used one to time the engine burn, when electrical power was being saved after the catastrophe on board had done so much damage....

It's a great watch, certainly one of my favourites and I just love the photo below of it being worn on the moon below.....  It's worth taking yours out of the box and giving it the same care as your other tools, they are superb watches and it's a shame not to wear it.  :-)

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 06:36:21 pm »

We have father in laws Seiko Kinetic ( 750301 is the No on the back ) Is this an automatic winding watch? if I shake it, it seems to make winding noises but it only goes for a few seconds,
Shall I bin it or is it worth Millions.
Len.

Not worth millions Len but an interesting bit of hybrid technology where Seiko used the same technology that is used in an automatic watch to wind a spring, to create an electrical charge, which is then stored. Quartz technology but with the added benefit of very long battery life as it's constantly recharged. Nice watches, not worth a lot but worth getting serviced as the batteries do eventually wear out...

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 08:00:45 pm »

So when / how did pocket watches become wrist watches?

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »

So when / how did pocket watches become wrist watches?
Dave

It's commonly thought that it was the First World war that made wristwatches popular, as pocket watches were not a very practical item in the type of warfare they found themselves in and wristwatches were easier to use, the straps then having a leather pad that went over the watch itself when it wasn't being used, to protect it. .... They had actually been used by the the German Navy for some time though for gunnery timing, due to their ease of use.. Yet another case of war driving technology forward.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.