Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Once in a lifetime competition to name new class of RNLI Lifeboat  (Read 1840 times)

Lady Lifeboat

• Shipmate

Once in a lifetime competition to name new class of RNLI Lifeboat

For the first time in its history, the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) has launched a competition for children to name one of the first Shannon class lifeboats, the charity’s newest and most advanced all-weather lifeboats (ALBs).

As well as naming a Shannon class lifeboat, the winner and their family will be special guests at the lifeboat naming ceremony in 2013. The lifeboat will be put into service as a relief boat and will be used at any lifeboat station throughout the UK and the Republic of Ireland as needed.

Capable of 25 knots, the Shannon class is the RNLI’s most advanced lifeboat and is the first modern generation RNLI all-weather-lifeboat to run on water jets instead of propellers. This will increase manoeuvrability in the water and enable more efficient sea rescues. It is the smallest and lightest of the charity’s new generation all-weather lifeboats (ALB) and is designed to be launched and recovered from a beach or to lie afloat.

Chris Eves, Project Manager for the Shannon class lifeboat says:

‘The new Shannon class lifeboat is our most advanced lifeboat to date. Not only will it help RNLI volunteer crews to reach casualties faster, but it will also improve the safety of our volunteers while they are saving lives at sea.

‘This is the first time that we have ever offered the naming of a lifeboat as a prize. Traditionally RNLI lifeboats are named by a donor who has kindly given money to the charity, so this competition really is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think the most exciting part of this competition is that the lifeboat could be in service for up to 50 years – this prize is something that will be cherished for a lifetime.’

To enter the competition, children need to be members of Storm Force, the RNLI’s junior membership club, designed for children aged 7 to 11. For an annual membership fee of £7.50 or €10.50, children receive four issues of the club magazine containing rescue stories, news, activities, comic strips, water safety advice and educational articles. Children also receive a joining pack including an exclusive 'crew' bag, pencil tin, stickers, map, colouring poster, postcards and a bumper activity booklet.

The competition closing date is Friday 7 September 2012. For those wishing to join Storm Force and enter the competition, please join no later than Friday 24 August either online at www.rnli.org.uk/stormforce or by phone 0300 300 9907. The winner will be announced on 16 January 2013.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Once in a lifetime competition to name new class of RNLI Lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:52:04 pm »

What a wonderful idea.I will publisizethis when I hand out my storm force leaflets.Hope they get plenty of replies.
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Once in a lifetime competition to name new class of RNLI Lifeboat
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:49:52 pm »

think I'm a bit to old........but here's my name just the same......"RNLB Angel's Wings"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.