Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor Voltage  (Read 1928 times)

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
Motor Voltage
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:05:22 pm »

I have a Robbe Paula 3 to which I have fitted the necessary electronics and motor, powered by a 7.2Volt Battery.  That side of it is fine, but I have just fitted the Robbe winch kit, which came with no instructions, to operate the crane.  Switched through an Action P44 it works fine but I only have it running from a seperate 4.8v pack.  Can I use the 7.2v to power the winch and the motor, therby using just the one battery?  I didn't want to damage the winch by putting to much voltage through it!
Thanks.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motor Voltage
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 02:16:09 pm »

Is there a part number on the winch motor?  That might lead to a way to find out its voltage range.  If its a 6 volt motor, assuming that winch operation will be intermittent, at 7.2 volts you should be within its design margins.  It would likely be a lot more lively over running on 4.8v, if this turns out to be a problem, a series resistor could calm things down.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:26:17 pm »

I have a Robbe Paula 3 to which I have fitted the necessary electronics and motor, powered by a 7.2Volt Battery.  That side of it is fine, but I have just fitted the Robbe winch kit, which came with no instructions, to operate the crane.  Switched through an Action P44 it works fine but I only have it running from a seperate 4.8v pack.  Can I use the 7.2v to power the winch and the motor, therby using just the one battery?  I didn't want to damage the winch by putting to much voltage through it!
Thanks.

How much current is the winch pulling??? There is some 5 volt Regs around. They have 3 pins on them. Power in, 0 volts , 5 volt reg out. They do need a couple of capiactors around the Reg but it is easy to set up. I think Action do a Bec unit which will give you 5 volts but you do need to check how much current you need.

Try this It will give you 1 amp .http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P19.pdf
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

ACTion

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:35:15 pm »

Thanks for the plug, Bill, but who was it that said "If it ain't broke then don't fix it"? A wise man, indeed.

If it's OK running on 4.8v then why not leave that separate pack in there? It can't be very large and there's plenty of room in a Paula 3 for a 4-cell AA pack. Run the winch off the main motor and you're reducing your sailing time by drawing more current from the main motor supply. The more often you play with that winch then the less time you're going to have on the water, and if the crane motor stalls for any reason then you can watch your main motor power drain away like a running tap - oh, and your radio, too (if you have one of those BEC speed controllers which I so love...........).

Besides, think of all those brightly glowing LEDs in your workshop when you charge it up - just like Christmas, eh? (There! First mention this year.)

Dave M

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »

Hi and thanks for all the prompt replies.  I perhaps should have mentioned it's for my Dad (aged 83)  so was trying to simplify things, but hey, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" works for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.