Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Porthdinllaen Tamar Class  (Read 2165 times)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
New Porthdinllaen Tamar Class
« on: August 16, 2012, 06:40:07 pm »

Hi there all,

I don't know if anyone is interested but the new Tamar for Porthdinllaen 16-24 'John D Spicer' is arriving on Monday 20th August for its naming ceremony.
It might be a good day out for anyone in the area, it's near Morfa Nefyn on the North Wales coast not too far from Pwllheli. We had an enjoyable walk to the station the other day, saw lots of seals, had a look round their current Tyne Class Lifeboat 'Hetty Rampton'. We then walked round to the Tycoch Inn for a well earned drink. It's well worth the walk with the lovely scenery. Link to their website below.

Dave.  :-))

http://pylifeboat.org/

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Porthdinllaen Tamar Class
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:16:19 pm »

More pics of the new Tamar sporting the new RNLI lettering, taken from their facebook page,

Dave.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 04:24:11 pm »

Hi Dave,
Would loved to have been there but too far to travel :(
The station website mentions that a new slipway is going to be built in 2013, so will the Tamar be kept afloat until then?

Charlie

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 05:26:10 pm »

I was wondering myself but couldn't find anyone around to answer that one?? They were driving piles into the seabed when I was there a couple of years ago but haven't seen any more progress since. I know there was a local planning issue regarding the new boathouse when I last spoke to someone.
Perhaps they've managed to adapt the boathouse so it'll fit but I couldn't see any modifications, they weren't expecting a Tamar until 2013. I can't see how they'd moor it afloat unless it's around by the Tycoch Inn as it gets rough at times by the boathouse. I've seen their current Tyne 'Hetty Rampton' there a few times.
I'm sure it'll become clear once it's on station. I'll probably be down there again soon so I'll have a wander round.

Dave.  ok2

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »

hi
i was at porthdinllaen on wednesday and talking to the enginer repairing there inflateable. see pictures.

he said that they would be demolishing the present lifeboat station on 1 october 2012, meaning they will have to  use a make shift place in a empty building for there
water proofs ect.
the cost for the new building will be 8 million, he said the tamar is massive compaired  to the tyne and will not fit inside,it is like being on a double decker bus as regards the hieght . so is moored in the bay for the forceable future causeing them problems when they have a shout

davidjt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.