Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torpedo tubes  (Read 4632 times)

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Torpedo tubes
« on: April 09, 2006, 12:06:07 am »

Having requested this board, I suppose the least I can do is put a topic up for discussion.

As you may see from the build board, I am about to start on HM Torpedo Boat No. 80. This has a set of twin torpedo tubes which pivots about the aft conning tower. The drawings I have are a bit vague on how this works. There is some sort of track on the deck, but on later versions this was removed.

So, does anyone have any details on this? Any photos? Drawings?? Anything???

Rick

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Torpedo tubes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 12:20:52 am »

Meant to add this, an interesting photo which unfortunately doesn't show the base of  the tower. It's actually a later boat  - No. 34 from 1909 -there must be a system in the numbering but it beats me!

Rick

Engineman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Full Steam Ahead!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 03:39:52 am »

The prob is - torpedo tubes of this sort (twin mounting about the conning tower) were only typical for the Royal Navy. The mentioned boat (No.34) is not from 1909 - she's much older (earlier) one. I'll go through my 'archives' maybe I can find something appropriate on this matter.

Cheers,
Engineman

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 09:39:02 am »

Hi Engineman, nice to hear from you again. What do you think to the new forum?

The numbering system for TBs seems completely screwed! As I understand it, first and second class boats were each numbered from 1 to XXX, starting in 1876. So there were two boats for most numbers - first and second class. Then in 1907, they started to number new boats. However, some of the originals were still in service, so were they renumbered or were there then up to three boats with the same number?

The TB34 that my photo shows is supposed to be one of the later series of boats, but I have no way of confirming this.

Rick

Engineman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Full Steam Ahead!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 12:21:06 pm »

Hi Rick, it is interesting to know that you've started a new 'project'. The new forum is pretty good - many thanks to Martin? :).
You're absolutely right about the numbering system for TB's (especially about the "double numbers'). The second (the later no.34) was CRICKET type TB (1906-1909) with 2x1x12pdr guns and 3x1X18" torpedo tubes - please look at my photo.
Your photo shows 3 pdr Hotchkiss gun (with horizontal oil compressor) and? 14" torpedo tubes. There can be no doubt what kind of TB is on your photo? :).

Cheers,
Engineman

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 03:47:17 pm »

Yes, you are right. Definitely not a "Cricket" boat. But still can't see what is going on under the matelots' feet!

Rick

Engineman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Full Steam Ahead!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 04:06:38 pm »

I have checked my archives and found a scanned copy of a very interesting book issued in late 18xx-early 19xx  about all the torpedo tubes/guns which were in use  by nearly all the world Navies... The bad thing is - this copy is incomplete as the content list (which is present) mentioning exactly what are you looking for - twin torpedo tube mountings of the 1st class TBs of the Royal Navy - and these pages are blank... Anyways I will ask my colleagues for help with this issue.

Engineman

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 11:59:22 pm »

Thanks - got your PM.

Rick

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 01:46:09 pm »

If you are building at 1/96 , I have lots of parts for Velox 1904 which include two single torp. tubes. I would guess that the tubes were the same and possibly the turntable . If you think any of this would be of help , contact me on : johnrhaynes.shipmodels@virgin.net

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 01:12:34 am »

Sorry not to have replied sooner John, but have had PC problems. Actually building in 1:48, but any info on the tubes you have would be much appreciated.

Regards

Rick

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 11:21:23 am »

Rick , just seen your reply. If you need a " smaller " version of the fitting that you could scale-up  contact me on johnrhaynes.shipmodels@virgin.net  Also have you got David Lyon's book The First Destroyers in which there is an isometric drawing of 1895 Havock which shows a twin torp. layout. It is quite clear from the drawing how this mount worked. Wait to hear from you , John

Engineman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Full Steam Ahead!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 10:45:22 pm »

Also have you got David Lyon's book The First Destroyers in which there is an isometric drawing of 1895 Havock which shows a twin torp. layout. It is quite clear from the drawing how this mount worked.
Unfortunately mentioned above torpedo tubes mount (457 mm dia) is pretty different from the TB80 torpedo tubes (356 mm dia) and can not be used even as a reference data  :-[.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 10:01:53 pm »

Thanks for your input, guys. Sorry not to have aknowleged them earlier, but we have been away on holiday - no boats for 12 days!

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.