Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi folks...  (Read 1401 times)

bunkerboy

• Shipmate
Hi folks...
« on: August 19, 2012, 01:57:54 pm »

Someone suggested I should introduce myself through a posting here.  I have already put one post up about a steam launch I bought on e-bay..

I am actually a train modeller..!  I got into boat building when started making a Dumas Chris-Craft Barrelback a few years ago, thinking it would be a nice thing to have if we ended up with grandsons, but then we suddenly had granddaughters, so I had to hastily re-tool for dolls houses, and the boat went up on the shelf.  Then I got struck down with prostate cancer, but I am one of the lucky ones, and it was found very early, and surgery did the job 100%.  But the operation left me feeling pretty low, and whilst convalescing, I decided I needed to take charge of my life, and take that boat down and get it finished...  At the same time, my wife told me to stop being such a sexist, since little girls liked speedboats just as much as little boys did.  Anyway, I have just finished it and I will put a post up about it.

I live in Hong Kong - we moved here 33 years ago, for a 2-year contract, but we liked it here so much we just stayed, since it really is a marvellous place to live.  Now retired, I live on one of Hong Kong's offshore islands with my wife of 40 years, plus 2 large and very friendly dogs, and a Tourette's-afflicted parrot;  and I keep myself fit through a punishing regime of extreme-gardening and aerobic dog-walking The grandchildren are in UK, and we get back to see them a few times every year, or they come out to visit us, so it works out fine.

As I said, I will post something about the Dumas barrelback.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Hi folks...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:51:26 pm »

Welcome to the Mayhem!!
Is there still a thriving model boat comunity there as I sent a few large Warships out there a while back.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tonysmoke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:37:06 pm »

Hi there bunker boy and welcome aboard, I to have prostate cancer and know how it all leaves you week and with follow up and on going treatment IE hormone in plants hot flushes
and tiredness it is a godsend to have a great hobby, i to have built dolls houses for the girls and narrow boats for the boys,  greetings from sunny jersey channel islands,
t le b

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:17:19 pm »

welcome aboard  :-))

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:08:43 pm »

Welcome Bunkerboy.There is a saying about how a man must have a shed. A man must also have a project to turn to in times of stress, boredom, enforced idleness or just whenever. Age UK is running Men in sheds projects in some areas. Good luck
 Grumpy Dave

bunkerboy

• Shipmate
Thanks, folks...
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 03:07:19 pm »

Thanks for the welcome and the support, chaps!   I have posted the story about launching my 19' Chris Craft barrelback on http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39076.0
 - and the story about my steamboat is at http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38817.0
 -yes there is a group of warship modellers in Hong Kong - they apparently meet in Chai Wan park on a Sunday 9 miles away where I live, so I have visited them.  I have however made contact via email, and will pop down to see them when I get time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.