Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tosher !  (Read 6690 times)

Tim B.

• Full Mayhemer
Tosher !
« on: August 19, 2012, 02:08:03 pm »

ThamesTug, your Tosher is GREAT !

An inspiration to be sure.

I am in california USA, a picture of your model turned up on RC Groups site in my post on a Thames Workboat from Jim Pottinger plans.

At first I thought your model had a Plaudit hull but now I see the details.

I so wish I could find more pics of 50's Thames workboats to help me see where to go with the Pottinger model...

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
Re: Tosher !
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:54:49 pm »

Thanks.
have a look here

http://www.lighteragetugs.co.uk

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:43:20 pm »

Hi Tim - how about posting a link to your build/thread

Dave

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:03:57 am »

Hi Tim.
good luck with the build! Jim Pottinger always seems to find great tugs to make plans of. Toshers /launch tugs in the thames were maids of all work and there were not many that had easy lives as when you look around at pictures you will see knocks and dents in them all over the place! while bigger tugs did have dents they had more room for the "boy" or a deck hand to get in with a fender to prevent many. toshers on the other hand if they were going to hit the place you would want to be to get a fender in could mean you would be the fender! So the only course of action at times maybe hold tight shout "STAND HARD" and let her bounce. When you finish your model i guess you are going for the "fresh out of the yard" look?
workboats that would engage in regular towing work tended to have more rounded sterns as corners as depicted in your model would have the unnerving habit of "quartering" or "girting" should the towed vessel come in contact with the stern.
motor boats like the one you are building would be useful in mooring operations down in the lower reaches for ships going to the buoys or running crews out to ships.
The picture i attach is of a launch tug i worked on she was designed to carry up to 44 dockers out to work ships unloading overside to dumb craft/ lighters and to shunt the barges around that were moored alongside. ships captains and mates hated them and us! they saw us as paint chippers and dent makers!
the tug had an 80 HP glenifer engine. and could cope ok with loaded craft and strings of barges, long as you were not in a hurry.
Good luck and please keep us abreast with a photo log of your build.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:01:39 am »

What a great post lighterman!

.... I didn't understand much of it but what a great insight from the 'horse's mouth'!  ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:02:07 pm »

My favourite thread was Bryan Youngs photos of ships. I looked forward to every post. I think similar photographic threads for Toshers Tids etc would be very popular here.  Many peoples rare photographs are just going to end up being skipped - all that history lost.

The recent Tosher build was interesting and the thread recieved Lightermans photo and explanation of a mast mirror and a little incident too. Really the sort of thing I want to read about / look at. Take Chants for example - plenty of stand off shots around but anything on deck I have found hard to locate; I think I found only one personal account of working them. I bet members have boxes of the stuff.

Dave

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:18:31 pm »

What a great post lighterman!

.... I didn't understand much of it but what a great insight from the 'horse's mouth'!  ok2

thanks Martin i am going to the dentist in the morning and then running at kempton park at the weekend  :}

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 11:40:39 pm »

May I suggest you do a web search for things like Thames launch works. Mervin Street boats both these may bring up some help as they built several work boats of this type. also E C Jones  of Brentford and E Harris that took the yard over.

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:11:07 am »

I don't want to hijack this post, but i have just finished another lighterage tug for a mate at work. i never had access to a GA plan but used memory photos and educated guess measurements. in fact all i had was a hull lines plan VERY SMALL from Mr Thomas' book british steam tugs to start with of a motor tug called the robertsbridge. hope this is acceptable to be posted here?
just as an illustration what you can do with limited resources. and where it not for the help of other modellers and enthusiasts it would have been a non starter.

catengineman

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:04:41 pm »

Nice picture there of a lighter tug on a cam shed
Oh memories of working the Thames and Medway Rivers

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 10:19:40 pm »

really nice model  :-))

Tim B.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 05:21:31 am »

Hi Tim - how about posting a link to your build/thread

Dave

Here be the link !

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1713904

I invite Any and All comments !

Tim in California

Tim B.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 05:23:50 am »

lighterman that is a Great looking model !
Here in the US we are a bit stuck in thinking of Tugs in a limited frame, I am trying to expand that by showing more models like YOURS !

Tim

I don't want to hijack this post, but i have just finished another lighterage tug for a mate at work. i never had access to a GA plan but used memory photos and educated guess measurements. in fact all i had was a hull lines plan VERY SMALL from Mr Thomas' book british steam tugs to start with of a motor tug called the robertsbridge. hope this is acceptable to be posted here?
just as an illustration what you can do with limited resources. and where it not for the help of other modellers and enthusiasts it would have been a non starter.

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 08:46:38 am »

The Dutch have a more interesting outlook on tug modelling and i found a very good model makers site on the net (where did we go before this internet?) they have some great plans for sale and i ordered one of a tug i worked on that ended up being owned by a london tug company.
check it out. (if you open it in something like google chrome it will translate for you.)
http://www.modelbouwers.nl/pdf/schepen-9.pdf
also you could do no worse than look on the model tug forum. Folk there are always very helpful. http://modeltugforum.com/

Tim B.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 04:46:46 am »

Lighterman, the Ducth Tugs are Alot of fun, I like the older ones best ! ( Sleepboot ! )

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.