Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R/C VII U-Boat wanted plus info  (Read 7371 times)

MAYBACH

• Shipmate
R/C VII U-Boat wanted plus info
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:47:30 am »

Hi all
I am new on here but not new to model making. I bought a Robbe U47 when they first came out but sold it due to other commitments. Anyway, I am looking for a type VII boat and wondered what people thought of the several models out there?
There is an untouched Robbe U47 near me for good money and I am tempted but I think they need so much work to make them look detailed and scale, plus changing them to static divers is yet more cost and work, but static diving is a must in my opinion.

I wondered what people thought of the alternatives from OTW and other manufacturers??

Does anyone have anything for sale or know of anything perhaps built, part built or in kit form? I would love to find a complete model that I could use as time is tight for building due to my other commitments, but I am open to suggestions.

Looking forward to hearing what folks have to say.
Cheers
Rob

Kazzer

• Shipmate
Re: R/C VII U-Boat wanted plus info
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:46:02 pm »

Take a look at Revell's 1:72nd VII. Although the model is small, it is very detailed and a fairly straightforward build. It's also a good candidate for 1:72 torpedoes. You should be able to pick up a model for $100 -150

http://www.caswellplating.com/rc-modeling/fittings-kits/the-revell-german-vii-submarine-fittings-kit.html

Here's the fittings kit

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:07:43 pm »

you could do worse than look at this link of mine its not wwII its not a U47 but it is a static diver gos well is ready to go with your choice of radio.

have a look at the vids

Regards Mark
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

MAYBACH

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:57:00 pm »

Hi all.
Thanks for the replies guys.
 I already have a 1/72 Revel and was looking for something far bigger, it is a great model especially with some etched add on bits but I feel it is a bit small and looks "bouncy" in all but the calmest water.
Also it must be WW2 and Type VII or type IX at a push, sorry but that is my particular perversion  :}

Come on folks, you must have or know somebody with that "unfinished project" sat on a shelf they are never going to do  :}

Still very keen to hear about personal opinions on Robbe/OTW/Models by design etc...........

Cheers
Rob

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:06:36 pm »

Hi, I have a OTW SClass and I have to say the kit is fantastic quality and is highly detailed and I have been told their type 7 is more detailed again. It does require more scratch building but that's half the fun. They are a bit more expensive but when you see it you will understand why a lot of work has gone into them. I will get a 7 once I have finished my S class and type XXI.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:05:22 pm »

The OTW and Engel Type VII are the best Type VII models out there. Not cheap options by any means, the Engel boat will rush you about £1900, and the OTW with one of their modules will set you back about £1600-1700. You can purchase the OTW hull minus a module which halves the cost, and grow your own dive system, which isn't an option with the Engel sub. The Engel boat is a bit too perfect looking for my liking- bit like a scaled up Revell kit, every rivet is perfectly placed etc. The OTW boat looks like it's seen a bit of action- little bit of dishing on the hull plates etc.

The MBD hull is very cost effectove. It's the old Darnell hull, and builds into a nice model, but not as accurate as the OTW or Engel models, and will require a lot more work constructing fittings etc. than the Engel or OTW boats.

The Robbe boat builds into a nice enough model. It's ABS plastic as opposed to GRP, so not as tough, and the detail is lacking (no rivets or plate lines etc.), but can be applied by the builder. A lot of people use the Accurate Armour tower in place of the kit original, which improves the look of this boat no end. Etched decks were available at one point, but I don't think you can get them any longer.

So there we go- pays your money and takes your choice.

Getemuphigh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:48:04 pm »

How about my OTW HMS Vanguard, static diving complete with all radio gear and sails great, but think not the class your after...

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:29 pm »

That looks like Paul Holmans old boat.

Getemuphigh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:49:04 pm »

That looks like Paul Holmans old boat.

Yes it was Turbalant's who built it and he put the build log on here but think since the server went down a few months back the build might have gone, but luckily I printed it all out it for reference.
Think Turbalant sas his use name?

MAYBACH

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:48 pm »

Thanks for the explanations on different makes. I have been doing my research and they do seem to be quite varied. I think the Robbe one seems good but then when you add on all the extras to make it a static diver plus lots of details then you may as well go for an OTW or MBD kit.

Sorry, thanks for the offer but the ready to go Vanguard isn't my thing, I'm strictly a Kreigsmarine guy  :}

I was hoping that there might be a half done or even ready to go Type VII out there looking for a new home??????????

Cheers
Rob

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 08:08:33 pm »

Rob,

Dont forget about Sheerline.

Chris, does a really nice type 2 complete kit incl static dive, http://sheerlinemodelsubmarines.com/type2.htm

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 08:10:48 pm »

I have seen the odd OTW Type VII come up for sale, but it's rare. I think there may be a 32nd parallel hull kicking about somewhere, if that would be of interest?

MAYBACH

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 11:42:10 pm »

I had forgotten about the Sheerline kits, they seem to be good value and people seem happy with them. I know it isn't a VII but it's close  :}

What is the info on that old 32nd Parallel kit that might be up for grabs???? might be interested in it???

Cheers
Rob

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21:48 am »

Paul Cook has the 32nd Parallel Type VII, he mentioned a while back he may be interested in selling it on. You can PM him via this site, or send him an email- http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=10029

MAYBACH

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 01:44:04 pm »

Cheers for that, I have just emailed him about it.  :-))

Has there been any more news on the Graupner VII due out soon? Seems to have been some confusion as to whether it actually dives or not???? If it was a dynamic diver then it doesn't seem bad for that kind of money considering all the work is done for you? Must admit though that I would like something a little bigger for more realism and stability in the water.

Cheers
Rob

MAYBACH

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »

Just been pointed in the direction of this:  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140833809432&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123  Looks like a very neatly made sub but what does anyone think of the diving system???? Any thoughts???? Anyone know the Boat???

Cheers
Rob

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 05:33:10 pm »

Going by the photos and description, it looks like the owner has adpated the Darnell systen quite a bit. It looks well constructed going by the photos, but the camera can tell porkies! Any secondhand purchase is a bit of a gamble.

The old USE pump and air bags have been substitued for a compressor (possibly the type used to inflate tyres) and a fixed hard tank in the middle. The tank will most likely have flood holes in the bottom, and to submerge the compressor draws air our of the ballast tank and stores it under pressure in the reservoir tank mounted in the bow. A cut-off circuit stops the pump before the water level reaches the inlet pipe to the compressor (otherwise it would begin to suck in water). To surface, a solenoid or servo operated valve is opened and the air stored in the reservoir is released back into the ballast tank, blowing out the water through the flood vents.

Advantage of this system is that the energy is used to submerge, and hardly any to surface. Also compressed air is a very efficient way of moving large volumes of ballast, which a Type VII u-boat most certainly has.

A disadvantage is that the system retains an air bubble in the tank, as this is vented at the bottom, when the boat dives deeper, it will compress slightly, and the boat loses trim. This really only becomes an issue if you dive quite deep. Depths within two or three feet don't cause much concern. But if you like going to the deep end of swimming pools, you may find this causes a problem. This could be avoided if the boat was fitted with a Kingston valve (a valve at the bottom of the tank). However that adds further complication, and as a consequence most model submariners have moved away from such systems to the use of water pumps or piston tanks which either don't have an air bubble in the tank or are blanked off from water pressure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.