Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What size model will this run ??  (Read 2030 times)

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
What size model will this run ??
« on: April 29, 2007, 04:37:19 pm »

Just dismantled a childrens electric scooter made by Famosa. I've recovered the drive motor and battery.
The Motor is marked up as RS-550SF-6035 and I've looked this up on a site selling Mabuchi dc motors and it's listed as having:
Rated Voltage 12, Voltage range 6-18, Current 6.49(A), Speed 14200 (RPM), Torque 450 (g-cm), Power 57.76 (W). It has a shft diameter of 3.17mm. and has a drive cog attached (I've also kept the somewhat large set of plastic gears in their casing also)
The battery is branded with the Famosa logo and is marked up 6-12 (6Volt 12Ah).

My question to you mayhemers is: What size model could I use this motor / battery in and what speed controller should I use. I'm interested in building a springer tug as a first scratch build. Would this motor be too powerfull or should I just scale up the plan and use a larger prop ????
(You're right, I havent a clue what I'm doingbut I have the above an supply of building materials)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: What size model will this run ??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 07:44:42 pm »

The 550 motor is usually used for fast models, they can be used for tugs but need at least 3:1 reduction gearing.
Yes, way overpowered for a springer tug.
The battery is very heavy so is not really compatable with a fast model due to weight.
30 od inch MTB's use a 550 and gets on the plane.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

catengineman

Re: What size model will this run ??
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 07:52:13 pm »

A nice BIG old tug single screw then do a lot of pulling or pushing great fun

Richard,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.