Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with reference material on British U Class Submarine  (Read 2397 times)

Desi

• Full Mayhemer
Help with reference material on British U Class Submarine
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:44:10 am »

Hi,
After building 2 U-boats and the UC5 minelayer, as my next build I am very interested in building a British Submarine...  the HMS Upholder (1:40 scale) from WW2 era

I am looking for plans, a book, photo references for building the boat as accurately as possible.
Perhaps if someone has the plans, book etc I will buy it.

If anyone has this book please let me know if it would be worth me buying this book and what I might find useful- The History of the British U Class Submarine by Derek Walters

Looking forward to some replies and help

Thanks,

Lloyd

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
Re: Help with reference material on British U Class Submarine
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:03:47 am »

Hi Desi,

It is quite a good book with material mostly taken from archive sources (ships logs etc.) So it is really better at giving a picture of U class operations rather than how to build one, if you see what I mean. But probably worth getting as background.
John Lambert does plans for this submarine which will help you a lot:
http://www.feralchicken.co.uk/lambert-plans/
Plenty of photos of U class subs on the web and in books. If you want something really "pin sharp"  purchase photos from the Royal Naval Submarine museum or the Dock Museum, Barrow in Furness. (They have the Vickers collection.)
You don't say whether you are making  a static model or  are you going to sail her?  That makes a big difference in your approach to detail etc. Have a look through the AMS forum too - a lot of discussion on the U Class with many photos of models and full size. Good luck with the project!

David

Desi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help with reference material on British U Class Submarine
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:56:49 pm »

Davy1, thanks a lot for the pointers/info

I will be building an operational static dive boat like all the others I have built in the past.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.