Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RTR or ARTR yacht for beginner?  (Read 4475 times)

robs

• Shipmate
RTR or ARTR yacht for beginner?
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:28:47 am »

Hi, can anyone suggest an RTR or ARTR yacht that is suitable for a complete sailing beginner? I am a member of Southend Model Power Boat Club and I have a powered model boat but I would like to have a go at sailing a yacht. It would need to be easy to control, easy to transport and I have a budget of about £100. I have seem a few on Ebay but I am not sure if they would be suitable for a complete sailing beginner.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers, Rob

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Boat for beginner
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:34 pm »

Hi Robs,

Welcome to the Mayhem!

Which one on ebay have you been looking at?

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:15:49 pm »

One of the best RTR yachts is the Graupner Micro Magic but it may be outside your budget at about £150 from Ebay, although sometimes they pop up second-hand and it may be worth advertising on the dedicated Micro Magic forum here.... http://magicmicro.org/news.php... .....
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »

.... and I have a budget of about £100

Have a look at www.hobbyking.com - the Surmount (800mm) will probably fit your budget and size requirements

I have recently bought a Surmount, I am using this exact setup, works fine..... maidened her yesterday, goes well.... love it....

Other items you need:
a) two channel radio
b) batteries for the boat and the transmitter plus a charger if you do not have something suitable
c) about 1kg of no 8 lead shot for the keel bulb

Links: (prices shown are those on the international store, may be different on the UK store)

Boat: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8310__RC_Sailboat_Surmount_.html US$69.99

Radio (TX & RX) example:  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8338__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_4Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_.html (US$22.99)

Batteries - Turnigy NiMh LSD AA x 8 for transmitter http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25023__Turnigy_AA_LSD_2400mAh_Low_Self_Discharge_ready_to_use_.html (US1.59 each)

Battery pack 6 volt for boat (5 x AA NiMh LSD) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25030__Turnigy_LSD_6_0V_2300mAh_Ni_MH_Flat_Receiver_Pack.html (US$6.58)

A suitable charger:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7028__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_accessories.html (US$22.99)

This charger requires a 12 volt supply -
alternative is available that plugs into mains, don't have the details immediately to hand sorry....

Youtube video of Surmount here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyPeEKNaHGc
Hope this helps...

Fixed links - Admin  :-)

Amateur at work...

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 02:04:32 pm »

theres the kyosho fortune 612 II its 612mm long and is a complete ready to sail out the box , only thing you need to get is 12 batteries for rx and tx
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/detail.html?product_no_1=40041

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 02:05:42 pm »

I recommend 800mm as the max and 500mm as a minimum.

Thundertiger Victoria may pop up within budget occasionally.  But you need to buy a radio and sail servo.

Surmount, quality issues.

Micromagic, may come with radio etc installed already.

Kyosho quality is good.

Check the for sale ads and ebay for secondhand boats.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

robs

• Shipmate
Re: RTR or ARTR yacht for beginner?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 02:49:49 pm »

Thanks for the quick replies guys. There was a Thunder Tiger Victoria on Ebay today but it did not sell so I think I will watch out and see if it is relisted as it's location is only a few miles from where I live. It had two channel radio with it and the initial entry price was £80. Thanks again, cheers, Rob

Nige52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 06:46:58 pm »

Contact the guy and ask if he's going to re-list it OR how much he wants for it cash. He might just do a deal over the phone for you seeing as how it didn't sell on ebay  ok2 :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 05:06:59 am »

80 quid for a Victoria with radio set is good.
All you need to check is that it does have a 'sail servo' fitted. If not price one up.

I had one as my first boat and still enjoy it.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 07:48:12 am »

I agree with TT.
If you can get the Victoria you will have a boat that will sail.
It will not disappoint like some of the other chinese efforts.
The Vic was my first yacht and I still enjoy sailing it alongside my
Marblehead and IOM.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

robs

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:50:32 am »

Thanks guys, I have spoken to the seller and if all goes to plan I will pick it up on Saturday. Cheers, Rob

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:01 am »

A couple of the chaps at our club have the Victoria and they seem to sail quite well, as Ned says unlike some at the less expensive end of the yacht spectrum . At least it will provide a start in the yachting world and will give you lots of fun time practising sailing and finding out whether you want to go further with it all....  :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

robs

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 09:57:23 pm »

I have bought the boat, now all that I have to do is learn how to sail it! Our next club meeting is in a couple of weeks at Southchurch Park so I will be picking the brains of any of our sailing members who can help me. Thanks for all of your comments and help, they have been very appreciated. Cheers, Rob

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 10:27:04 pm »

Hi Robs, Looks like the sailing bug caught another southend member :-)) There will be yachts there this Sunday, we are there every Sunday, why not bring it down & let us have a look if you are free. But be warned, you may find you own a marblehead by Christmas if you are not careful !! {-)
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

robs

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 06:45:56 pm »

Don't think that I will make it on Sunday, my wife is disabled and I do not get a lot of time for hobbies. I have not been fishing for two years! Hopefully I will make it for the Viennese Evening and will bring the boat then. it looks like it has been modified in the sail control department so I will need some advice there. I will bring my other boat, a Robbe Sea Diamond disguised as a Police boat with siren and flashing lights. So thanks to everyone for their comments and help and hopefully I will have another boat in the McColl Fleet. Cheers, Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.