Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hartlepool  (Read 1407 times)

mikgo

• Full Mayhemer
Hartlepool
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:31:09 pm »

Hi All
I am visiting Hartlepool on the 1st and 2nd of September. I would like to know what to see & visit boat related also is there some where to do some ship spotting.
if we didnt have boats, we'ved  have webbed feet

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
Re: Hartlepool
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:11:33 pm »

There's the marina although just the usual yachts which are never used, reside there. If you want to drive to Redcar, you can stand on the end of the gare and watch the ships real close as they enter the tees - check pd ports site for shipping reports and movements.

What goes in and out of the tees isn't really close enough to spot as such from Hartlepool. Also check the shipping as the big crane barge usually is in and out of Victoria dock (over the headland) for loading and unloading every few days.

Otherwise not an awful lot there except the historic quay and hms trincomalee.

Dan

mikgo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 04:26:49 pm »

Cheers for that info Dan will follow your ideas. :-))
if we didnt have boats, we'ved  have webbed feet

ACTion

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 04:46:28 pm »

But they do have a cast bronze monkey at the entrance to the inner marina (just inside the revolving dock gates).
My stepdaughter moved there for work and we were quite prepared to hate the place. Granted that like, any town, it has its scruffy areas but the new marina is very impressive and curiously peaceful for a stroll.  The area to the north of the port, called The Headland, is almost like another little town, with cobbled streets, a pleasant promenade along the seafront and an impressive church. Seaton Carew is the nearest you'll get to a beach resort there and you can do a spot of ship-watching from the beach if you have a decent pair of binoculars. The infamous Ghost Ships are moored further round by Seal Sands which, coincidentally, has its own colony of seals.
Hartlepool is OK, certainly compared with some of the depressing places along the coast between there and Newcastle. Just don't drink the beer...................or mention monkeys in any pub!
DM

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:10:09 pm »

The Yep, Everything Dave said bar the ghost ships as they went long ago.

They were chopped up and disposed of ages ago. Theres currently an Ensco drilling rig and a production platform berthed outside Able where the ghost ships were. These aren't for scrap mind...

Dan

ACTion

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:17:15 pm »

Could have sworn I saw them just last year.........doesn't time fly?
DM

F4TCT

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:24:01 pm »

They were there for quite a while, however they were stripping the insides out first and removing the nasty bits like asbestos etc...

Took no time at all to chop them up. Scrap train used to come each day I think and take the lot away.

Theres not even much to look at in able bar a few old bits of platform and a few other odds and sods.

Dan

tritsch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:27 am »

As an ex Hartlepudlian 45 years since I lived there,  I thought my info must be out of date that people haven't mentioned a couple of restored ships but having checked (google Hartlepool marina) you can find  -  HMS Trincomalee, the oldest British ship afloat  see www.trincomalee.co.uk  and the paddle steamer PS Wingfield Castle 

enjoy your trip

Tony T
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.