Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sprinta  (Read 8030 times)

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Sprinta
« on: September 21, 2013, 05:12:25 pm »

***Topic now split this is a daughter topic from [size=78%]http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43798.25.html[/size]***[/color]

Harry,

I have followed that build for some time. Have to say that is the finest I have ever seen. If I had that Yacht, I am afraid all I'd ever do is sit and stare at it. The detail is beyond ones imagination. The skills and patients required are really astonishing. I have communicated with the fellow that built this boat to share my appreciation of his creation. Had to let him know how I felt about his work.

To have those talents and knowledge would be a true blessing. I am a novice at best, and know to stay in the shadows of great builders like this fellow!

My fleet is pretty much at high tide right now and unless I find a way to swing getting a Sprinta I am on "hold" for now. If you are not familiar with the Sprinta you might take a few minutes to check out their web site: http://www.ramoser.de/home_d/sprinta_rc_d/sprinta_rc_d.html

or take a look at this link at rcgroups.com
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1479438&highlight=sprinta&page=5

Youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05945XVmzeI

Boomer

Saylee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Sprinta
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 04:43:36 am »

Boomer,

Very nice fleet you have! As for the Sprinta, the running rigging on that boat is GORGEOUS! At a glance I'd say it's probably pretty close to the full-size Sprinta's rigging. Hope you can find a way to "swing it ". I'd love to hear from you how she sails.

So many beautiful boats, so little time...

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »

Boomer,

Very nice fleet you have! As for the Sprinta, the running rigging on that boat is GORGEOUS! At a glance I'd say it's probably pretty close to the full-size Sprinta's rigging. Hope you can find a way to "swing it ". I'd love to hear from you how she sails.

So many beautiful boats, so little time...

If you watch the video you can see they sail beautifully. They are almost a perfect copy of the full sized Sprinta's. Amazing rigging and attention to detail.
They sell them in kit form or in various stages of completion to 100% ready to sail. The only way for me to swing it would be as kit. The cost of a finished boat shipped to the U.S. would be significant. I know a fellow that has one - lives over there - and he loves his.

Just a super boat from all indications. If I won the lottery, a Sprinta would be one of my first purchases.  :-))

Boomer

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 12:49:58 am »

From what I have seen, the Sprinta is one of the few RC boats with a genoa instead of a jib. Looks great on the water!

I used the Sprinta as a guide when I modified one of my boats from using a jib to using a genoa. It was a fair bit of work to do as you really need a second sailwinch due to the amount of sheet travel needed. I believe the Sprinta does it with only one winch but the mainsail is uncontrolled during a tack as the winch runs the genoa from one side to the other (the winch line travels nearly a metre in total I think).

As a matter of interest, I found the boat with a genoa quite hard work to sail - you need to winch the genoa across for every tack, unlike the self-tacking jibs we are used to in the Bermuda rigs usually on RC sailboats. Once you get it across you then need to trim it as well...

I tried the genoa to see what it did for performance, and I can say that there was definitely an increase in performance as the genoa sail area is increased quite a bit compared to a jib (I used a 150% genoa, the foot length was 1.5 times the original jib).

I have since converted the boat back to Bermuda rig as it is much more relaxing to sail  :-)) 

Amateur at work...

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 01:39:02 am »

The Sprinta is a beauty
 :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Saylee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 05:32:41 am »

I have since converted the boat back to Bermuda rig as it is much more relaxing to sail  :-))
Not sure what you mean by that, as a Bermuda rig is a Bermuda rig with either jib or genny.   ;)

I'd sure love to see your genny conversion. I've been dreaming of doing this on a build at some stage. My favorite head sail to use on my big boat is my 150. I love the way she sails and looks under full canvas. Yet I have no experience with running a genny on a model boat. I can definitely understand the difficulty of getting the genoa to the other side of the mast on a tack, as you don't have the luxury of a first mate sitting in the cockpit and taking in the sheet. (especially if the wind goes dead right in the middle of a tack) I guess that's the reason for a second winch. Could you be coaxed to share a few pics (if you have any) of your setup when you ran the genny? I'd love to get some food for thought.

Cheers!

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 07:53:43 am »

@Saylee:

Happy to share...

The boat was a cheap 500mm Beili Discovery from HobbyKing.... I did it "because it had not been done..."
Here are a series of 3 videos that show it from prototype to finished item.
Phase 1 - basic prototyping:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkHx1l9nurs&feature=player_detailpage

Phase 2 - first winch setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bC2d4oJAmh4

Phase 3 - sail test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V12uN09iWKM&feature=player_detailpage

The final winch setup used an arm winch for the mainsail and a small drum winch for the genoa. No video of this although it is what is used in the Phase 3
Also a photo of the final setup aft of the hatch. Not pretty, but it worked...
Amateur at work...

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 07:54:40 pm »

Here is a link to another installation this one on a Mirco Magic.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hM2Htmgtwo

and here is a link to an interesting onboard a Sprinta video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsnS1OelzUM

The set up on the MM appears to work really well. Nice work to get that set up on a boat of that size. The Sprinta is about the only boat that comes with this sail arrangement that I am aware of.

Boomer

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 11:14:48 pm »

Thanks Boomer, I had forgotten that MM one.

The setup on the MM with the (?) T9X radio makes it much easier to sail, just a flip of the stick to get the genoa across.

I personally like the look of the genoa setup when they are out on the water and the performance is great from my experience. Maybe one day I will try it on a larger boat. Getting enough winch travel and torque were the limiters for me.

Sprinta is sure a nice looking boat :-))  but way out of my sailing budget  :((

Amateur at work...

Saylee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 02:10:31 am »

Wow! Thanks for all the info! That's some pretty cool work there, MrP.

I have enough material here to give me lots of food for thought when my Monsoon arrives. It might be the perfect boat for a little experimentation. I'm learning a lot here. One thing already clicked when thinking about why it's necessary to use a tensioned loop for running the jib sheets. Seems that on boats of this size, there probably isn't enough room to have two winches below and ensure that  either sheet doesn't jump off the drum and start fouling things, should the sheets go slack at the wrong moment. I suppose one way would be to have pretty wide caps and bottoms on the drums. But that probably would require a little more space below. Having both sheets synched to keep things a little snug might help, but then you'd have to devise a second method when you want to ease both sheets simultaneously. Hmm, perhaps I could use the sailplane aileron/flap mixing from my radio. Wonder how they did it on the Sprinta.(Love that video btw - I WANT that boat) Lol, I'm probably overthinking all of this, but it makes for some fun thought experiments!

PS. The Micro Magic is really starting to grow on me. Too bad it reminds me too much of the Columbia 26 (not one of my favorite looks), but it's such a cool little boat.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:35:49 am »

PS. The Micro Magic is really starting to grow on me. Too bad it reminds me too much of the Columbia 26 (not one of my favorite looks), but it's such a cool little boat.
While looking at small  boats the Dragon Force 65 is worth a look - new out, cheap Chinese but with a pedigree from the UK RG65- see http://dragonforce65.com/ I recently bought one, it is a whole new ballgame, sails really well out of the box

Amateur at work...

Saylee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 03:36:11 am »

Nice boat! Looks like it may share some parts wit the MM. Is that correct? Appears to be a pretty nice price too, with radio and all.

Since we're on price, I agree with you on the Sprinta being just a bit out of reach on the financial side right now. However, it looks like a much more economic alternative to this one. http://www.stockmaritime.com/modellboote/vo70/boote.php?modellbau/438, which sits at appr $4k US. I'm a really huge fan of the VOR and would love to have the Puma boat.

Where's that lottery ticket from yesterday?...

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 04:14:22 am »

Nice boat! Looks like it may share some parts wit the MM. Is that correct? Appears to be a pretty nice price too, with radio and all.

I don't think there are any parts that are common between the DragonForce65 and the Micro Magic - while there may be a bit of common ground in the background leading to the design , the manufacture sources are very different backgrounds from what little I know.

Amateur at work...

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 02:37:46 pm »

As a matter of interest, 2 Sprintas won the World Scale Champs a couple of years ago, husband and wife team, one won, the wife I believe and hubby was placed. It was the World Champs in the Czech Republic I think. They are agents for selling the boat so good Advertising!

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 06:03:06 pm »

Thought I'd post a few more pictures to keep the visuals going. At one point a friend of mine and I expressed and interest in becoming a dealer in the U.S. for these boats, but the factory was not interested at that time. I think they are busy enough that more volume was not important.
The company is quite diverse and seems wisely focused on quality more than quantity. Very refreshing approach!  :-))

The market for high dollar RC sailboats is some what limited here. I watch the ads on line and observe it takes quite a while of the high end racing boats to find new homes. I understand, especially with the state of the economy, most of us have to spend and invest with great care for fear of ending up living on the street.  <:(

I like RC flying but not nearly as much as sailing. Perhaps it's the fact that I have never had to take any of my boats home in a bag! Can't say that for all of my airplanes. :((

I think RC sailboats are a much better "investment" overall.  O0 Perhaps one day Santa will bring me a Sprinta for Christmas. One can only hope!

Boomer

Saylee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 04:32:47 am »

I like RC flying but not nearly as much as sailing. Perhaps it's the fact that I have never had to take any of my boats home in a bag! Can't say that for all of my airplanes. :((

I think RC sailboats are a much better "investment" overall.  O0
You're thinking what I'm thinking, and I even took the "justification" one step further.  {-)

Here's my evil plan: Like you, I also fly, (have been for decades) and have several thousand dollars worth of helicopters (and giant-scale planes) sitting and gathering dust at the moment. I stopped flying only a couple of years ago to restore my big boat, and found out that pretty much everything has changed since last stirring the sticks. (everything's all flybarless now, nobody flies nitro any longer, it's all Li-poly electric now, blah blah blah) When I looked into getting a new rig, the reality of forking over another two to three grand to start all over left me quite cold. I just didn't have the taste for it any longer, especially when a few years from now I'd probably be lining up to do it all again.

So, enter my new-found interest in RC sailing. Looking at boats like the Sprinta can leave you with a little sticker shock, but putting it into perspective against the price of a good heli or giant (we'll put that at about three grand for the sake of argument) and the one-thousand dollar Sprinta suddenly seems a lot more affordable! Why, that's actually a 66.66666666666666666666666666666666666E1263871239 percent discount! And now what wife doesn't understand that language?!?  %)

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 05:48:10 pm »

I really enjoy scale boats - I enjoy seeing boats and aircraft the are true to life replicas. That is one of the main attractions to the Sprinta for me. I have another boat in my collection that is another RC Yacht that is a close replica to the actual racing yacht is is modeled after.
Sadly it is no longer produced.

Those of us that are fortunate enough to own one consider them as treasures. This boat was produced back in the mid 90's by Tamiya of Japan, a "toy" manufacturer known for it's attention to scale and detail. The boat is the Yamaha Round the World which won the W60 class Whitbread Round the World Race back in '93 or '94. Like the Sprinta,  the Yamaha looks very much like it's full sized counter part. It is smaller than the Sprinta - coming in at a little less than 1 meter but sails exceptionally well and does particularly well in heavier conditions.

Tamiya in the same time period they made a smaller scale RC Yacht they called 40EX which is a replica of a Beneteau at 610mm (24") also a very life like working model. Don't want to digress from the thread topic, but I think posting information on a boat(s) that may be of interest to those interested in the Sprinta may not be to much of a rabbit trail. 

Posted a few pictures of my Yamaha RTW and of my 40EX for any readers not familiar with these two classics.

Boomer

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 03:07:40 am »

Can anyone comment on what the Sprinta is like to build?

I nearly bought the Tamiya RTW, but read on a couple of blogs that people had a lot of problems building them. Being a newbie at the time I opted for another model.
As a fan of Tamiya quality (from my days of static WW2 models) I looked for the Tamiya 40EX, but could not find them in my market at the time.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Saylee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 06:03:20 am »

Boomer, that's another thing we have in common. Always preferred scale. Only reason why I didn't pursue it much with helis was the additional high cost.

Those are two beautiful boats. If that's your RTW, I really like your detailing with the figure set and all. I remember that set. Been around Tamiya kits since the '70s and always loved them for their detail and quality, but never looked at the boat kits much until now. Too little, too late. Both of them are beautiful. I'm going to keep my eyes open and see what comes along.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 05:46:38 pm »

Can anyone comment on what the Sprinta is like to build?
I nearly bought the Tamiya RTW, but read on a couple of blogs that people had a lot of problems building them. Being a newbie at the time I opted for another model.
As a fan of Tamiya quality (from my days of static WW2 models) I looked for the Tamiya 40EX, but could not find them in my market at the time.

From what I've been told the build is no more difficult than other similar style kits. The rigging is a bit more complicated and requires some patients beyond that needed for more standard/traditional set ups.

Wondering why anyone would have reported difficulties putting the Yamaha kit together? Honestly, it was pretty straight forward. I actually have a 2ND "new in the box" Yamaha and a bunch of extra parts I accumulated a few years ago when Tamiya still had parts in stock. They still have a few items but not many or items of interest. If you are vigilant in monitoring the web (E-bay and RC sailing forums) you can get lucky and score one. Depending on the boats condition, they can bring pretty high dollars. I ended up getting my 40EX from a forum buddy had both a Yamaha RTW and the 40EX kits, lots interest - I was good on the Yamaha but had been shopping for the 40EX for a year or two. Nice little boat. Makes a create display boat. Sails well in light wind as you'd expect not so much in the heavier conditions.

I was very fortunate some years back to be able to trade another of my boats for it. I have 4 kits I am building right now and once those are complete, I may put the new Yamaha together - it's just a nice feeling to have it there when I am ready.

Getting back to the Sprinta, I have archived a bunch of photos and videos on these boats. I review them from time to time to keep me motivated to save my hobby money to put toward the purchase of one. I am pretty sure it would be the only one on this side of the pond.
Beyond my attraction to it's attention to detail, the biggest draw is how well they sail.

If you ever get to see a properly set up Yamaha sail, you'd see it to be an excellent sailing yacht. Smooth, easy to control in heavy weather and gusting conditions. This is what I see when I watch the Sprinta - smooth, behaves like a full size boat. So many RC yachts are not smooth. Realizing the skipper has a lot to do with that I feel I've had enough different boats to recognize an ill handling design verses a well designed boat. Over time I've had about 24 boats, but have "thinned the heard" by refining my fleet down to those boats I have found to be decent to good sailing boats, and that appeal to my tastes visually.

Happy to share that list and would enjoy any comments, as well knowing what others have in their collections.  Currently my"down sized" collection includes:  Micro Magic*, CR 610*, 40EX, Fortune 612, Nirvana ll, V 32, CR 914*, Fairwind lll, two Seawind's*, and two Yamaha RTW. I have a few power boats in the fleet and few RC aircraft and heli's - Sailing is my favorite aspect of RC - I don't see that changing.

The Crown Jewel in my collection would be a Sprinta for sure. I have toyed with building a real race boat at some point but right now am satisfied with what I have. Where I live there are no clubs to race with so, the guys I do sail with bring whatever they have and we all have a great time, regardless.

Boomer

* kits under construction. Picture shows the newest kits - Seawind on the bottom, CR 914 and the CR610 on top - the MM is still in the box.
All are being being prep'd for painting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.