Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown yacht model  (Read 19836 times)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
Unknown yacht model
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:58 am »

Hi All, some years ago I bought what you see of this yacht at a boot sale, it looks really homemade, possibly to a known plan but maybe not. The hull is quite bumpy like its made of papier mache or such, coated with paint and a gloss coat. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts as to what design it may be and some suggestions on what rigging layout would have looked like. It appears it may have been operated by one of those big vanes on the back? It has no access to the inside so all operating equipment must have been on deck. I see it has some numbers down the deck near the stern which I assumed are for setting the sail to wind conditions? I would love to re-rig this even if only for display (or to float in our pond) and welcome any suggestions / guidance in this respect. I plan on sanding down the hull and re-coating it too with a new name (undecided as yet) - Is there some sort of calculation to work out how tall the mast would be?

Thanks

Wayne

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Unknown yacht model
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:08:02 am »

Nice looking hull ! You haven't given the dimensions though, length, height and width which would help in identification but it looks suspiciously like a 36R from the length of that keel.... I'd also get in touch with Russell Potts at the Vintage Model Yacht Group here.... http://www.vmyg.org.uk/ ... who is the expert in these matters and helps with old yacht identification... and keep posting as you go along.  :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:25 am »

Length 915mm, width 225mm, deck to u/s of keel 270mm

Thanks

Wayne

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:57:45 am »

Yes Wayne, that's a help and it looks like it is definitely a 36R Class yacht, for which the rules are that the hull must fit within a box  37 inches X 11 inches X 9 inches   I would still get in touch with Russell Potts as I have no doubt he may be able to put you in touch with some original plans or give you sufficient information to restore it.  :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:33:07 pm »

Thanks Artistmike

I have contacted Mr. Potts, will see what he can add

Regards

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:45:47 pm »

Well it seems this yacht is not really worth trying to restore, it is way under weight for its type and it appears the hull "planking" is strips of cardboard laid over wooden ribbing, probably why its so light. I think I will wait till I can build my stand off scale model of "force 8" a Lavranos design built in Rhodesia (where I was born).

Wayne

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:55:50 pm »

That's a shame Wayne, the thing about the 36R class is that it is what is known as a "Developmental Class",  which really means that within certain parameters, the builder is free to try anything at all ..... This rule has lead to some very interesting developments over time but also some somewhat strange results produced by home builders, presumably of which yours is one. That doesn't mean it's not worth restoration but probably more as an academic exercise....

The Force 8 project sounds interesting, let us know how it goes, there's a few sailors here who will be very interested .....  :-)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 06:17:54 pm »

It's not a Vic Smeed "Krispie", is it? I think that was a 36R built from cereal packet cardboard. Design wasa published in MB.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 06:34:44 pm »

It's not a Vic Smeed "Krispie", is it? I think that was a 36R built from cereal packet cardboard. Design wasa published in MB.

Hey who knows it could well be - Anyway for now it has been packed away again.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 06:37:32 pm »

That's a shame Wayne, the thing about the 36R class is that it is what is known as a "Developmental Class",  which really means that within certain parameters, the builder is free to try anything at all ..... This rule has lead to some very interesting developments over time but also some somewhat strange results produced by home builders, presumably of which yours is one. That doesn't mean it's not worth restoration but probably more as an academic exercise....
The Force 8 project sounds interesting, let us know how it goes, there's a few sailors here who will be very interested .....  :-)

Thanks Artistmike, for now it has been packed away again. I will start a thread on Force 8 once I get the plans - I cannot post them here but I will provide a link to some photos of the yacht as she is today.

Wayne

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50:18 pm »

id not dismiss the model as not worth the effort , ive several model yachts that although dont fall into a particular racing catogry are still being rebuilt for my own enjoyment . messers b&q are a good source of metre lengths of alloy tube suitable for masts / booms and jibs

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 07:15:16 pm »

Thanks triumphjon, I will certainly have a look at b&q - Whilst I was never going to rebuild the yacht to race seriously I suppose it would be an idea to rebuild for the experience/enjoyment. I will have a look. I have boom and jib boom already - How would one attach the mast to the deck as there is no hole through the deck - I assumed that a slot was cut in the bottom of the mast and it was pinned through the brass fitting just forward of the carry handle? How would one fix the stays to the mast?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 07:20:50 pm »

I assumed that a slot was cut in the bottom of the mast and it was pinned through the brass fitting just forward of the carry handle?

I agree
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 07:29:53 pm »

Can anyone suggest any books that would help me with building a scale model yacht, covering things like how to build the hull (the plans I am getting provide hull profiles), how to fix stays to the mast / deck, what wire to use for the stays, how to attach the wire to the bottlescrews etc, in fact any guidance at all - Websites covering the above would be good too - I am slowly making my way through the yachts and sail section of this forum too.

Thanks, Wayne

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 07:32:55 pm »

How would one fix the stays to the mast?

You need to attach eyes to/or through the mast.

You probably need a mast head, to attach a back stay. A forestay can be omitted as the jib sail can take the strain.

You may also need spreaders attached to the mast, this will add strength and stability.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »

Books

http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=296
Specifically for racing boats, and very technical level of detail.

http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=297
This is about scale sail boats, but a lot of information is transferable to any sail boat. Less technical and more user friendly.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 07:59:34 pm »

Thanks tigertiger

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 06:32:47 am »

For a stand off scale RC yacht, is the rigging of wire or thread? How is it 'tied' to the various fittings such as the bottle screws?

Thanks

Wayne

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 07:19:59 am »

For a stand off scale RC yacht, is the rigging of wire or thread? How is it 'tied' to the various fittings such as the bottle screws?
Thanks
Wayne

The composition of standing rigging usually depends on the size of the boat. Items like shrouds do need to be tight in order to help support the mast against side forces when the wind is blowing and wire has the advantage that it doesn't stretch as some threads can under tension and especially when wet, which would of course be a problem. This obviously is more noticeable, the bigger the boat.

Usually the wire has ends that are crimped to simple hooks or eyelets that are easily attached to the turnbuckles and can thus be tensioned by them or even removed for transportation. if necessary. I find a good source of wire is the fishing tackle shop, Anglers use wires of various thicknesses and strengths and often these are plastic coated and aesthetically right for the job.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 10:48:13 am »

As your model is made of wood and card, I recommend Dacron thread for both running and standing rigging.

Dacron will not stretch, important. I use 25Kg for running rigging and 50+kg for standing rigging.
You can tie one end to an eyelet and the other end can be tensioned/adjusted by using bowsies. Bowsies can are a small strip of material with a line of 3 holes in them, usually plastic. You can make these yourself or buy them.

One source for Dacron, bowsies and more is sailsetc.com, I have used them a lot.
Other sources include Housemartin sails. Sorry I don't have contact details, but I am sure others will chip in with information.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 07:45:43 pm »

Thanks tigertiger, where do you source the dacron, I looked at ebay but their flourescent colours are not what I would use, I also did not find much 25kg or 50kg+ dacron.

As for bowsies, I was looking at using bottlescrews (turnbuckles) but I see in the remains of the rigging I have that there are a few homemade bowsies including one from a small bottle top!

Wayne

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 10:08:09 pm »

I get my Dacron line from sailsetc.com
D25, D40 and D60 on this page http://sailsetc.com/fitrig.htm
I think eyelts and bowsies are on this page too.

Dacron sailcloth on this page, as are eylets and the eyelet tool
http://sailsetc.com/sailmakingmaterials.htm#

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »

Thanks tigertiger, that's a more affordable price too - I can see I will be ordering a lot of stuff both for this build and my 'Force 8' build - still not sure how to secure the dacron to stays etc, do you just tie a knot in it? Perhaps someone could post a few photos of such things please.

Wayne

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 10:32:16 pm »

Knot to the mast head, but you need some anchor point to tie to.

You can run the other end through a snap link, and adjust with a bowsie. The snap link is then attached to the metal strip with holes along the side of the deck on your model.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.