Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown yacht model  (Read 19738 times)

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Unknown yacht model
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 11:10:19 pm »

It's definately a Krispie, I remember seing it in Model Boats around 1976 I think. The cardboard stip construction is a dead giveaway.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 07:15:20 am »

As it's very likely to be a Krispie, you may like to know that Vic Smeeds plans for that are still available from MyHobbyStore  here ...... http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17214/krispie-mm1404  One of the members may well have a copy too so it maybe worth putting a wanted in the sales section?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 07:35:10 am »

Oh and one other thing, the normal practice for the forestay is for the leading edge of the jib, the luff, to have a pocket through which the forestay runs, the jib itself is then lightly tensioned by a topping lift. It's not really good practice to put the full strain of the stay on the sail itself. 
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 08:44:16 am »

You may well find this a good source of a lot of information regarding rigging model yachts. www.theamya.org/my/138-SampleWebEdition0801.pdf  It's quite a big file to download but there's some good stuff there which will apply to both of your projects ..........

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 02:43:47 pm »

As it's very likely to be a Krispie, you may like to know that Vic Smeeds plans for that are still available from MyHobbyStore  here ...... http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17214/krispie-mm1404  One of the members may well have a copy too so it maybe worth putting a wanted in the sales section?

Thanks I have been in touch with someone who may have a copy still, otherwise I will ask in the wanted section

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 04:40:55 pm »

Boy is this gonna take a lot of P38 to smooth off the hull, anyway bit at a time and I should get there -

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 07:33:53 pm »

Many thanks to martin-R who has sent me a copy of the crispie plans and this is definitely my boat - Now to find someone who sells 13mm aluminium tubing in a length around 1625mm and I can start rebuilding the rigging.

Wayne

Stavros

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 07:51:29 pm »

Boy is this gonna take a lot of P38 to smooth off the hull, anyway bit at a time and I should get there -

MMMM Maybee you SHOULD read the Painting thread on the Paint section and Use the fille rI reccomend FAR SUPERIOR than old Hat P38

Dave

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 08:01:34 pm »

Thanks Dave, will do

Wayne

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »

re 13mm alloy tubing , b& q sell it in 1 meter lengths , two lengths or the upper of a slightly smaller diameter to be a sliding fit inside the lower section held in place with a small pin or araldite ? jon

Stavros

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 09:28:52 pm »

Try Sail tec or Housemartins sails

Dave

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 09:38:50 pm »

Cool housemartins have an 11.1mm tube of 1800mm long which will be good enough I reckon

Thanks

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 12:25:53 pm »

Hi All, what are the following three books like? Do they duplicate in any way the info in "Introducing Radio Control Model Boats, Vic Smeed" and    
"Boat Modelling, Vic Smeed" which I have already.

Radio Control in Model Boats, John Cundell

Introduction to Marine Modelling, Chris Jackson

Basics of Model Boats, Glynn Guest

Thanks

Wayne

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 03:57:21 pm »

Hi All, what are the following three books like? Do they duplicate in any way the info in "Introducing Radio Control Model Boats, Vic Smeed" and    
"Boat Modelling, Vic Smeed" which I have already.

Radio Control in Model Boats, John Cundell

Introduction to Marine Modelling, Chris Jackson

Basics of Model Boats, Glynn Guest

There are books specifically for RC sailboats. The others may not cover sailboats adequately and will contain information about motors that you may not be interested in.
Check out Traplet.com for books on sailboats. You may then find some of these titles cheaper on Amazon.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 06:52:02 pm »

Hi wayne.
                 The book you want to get is model racing yacht construction by R Griffin despite what the title says it covers everthing from fittings names, where they go, and make your
                 own.  vane gears, radio set up, masts booms rigging sails it will answer all your question simply clearly and concisely with loads of diagrams, sketches and pix.
                  In a way it goes back to the day when you made everything yourself

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Construction-Publications-technical-publication/dp/0852426720

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Racing-Yacht-Construction-Model-a-R-Griffin-/200816503830?pt=Fiction&hash=item2ec198ac16

What you have got is a yacht with whats called a deck steped mast usually with this kind of arrangement  they use the fine braided wire for the shrouds and fixed the to the
                  chain plates with turnbuckles which allows you to put the tension on the shrouds. Note. the yacht is called krispie as the diagonal planking is from the rice krispie box there
                   was another model wich used gummed strip paper planking. I remember back in the 70`s making chain plates from 1/2in ali angle al messers B&Q and brass brazing rod
                   to make the hooks.  You may find that large snap link fishing swivels are ideal to make the kicking strap and to attach the jib boom to the deck. 

If your mast is going to  be a diy job intrested to see what solution you come up with to attach the mainsail to the mast. 

Frank.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 07:25:40 pm »

Hi Frank

I will get a copy of that book right away thanks -

I have acquired a set of the krispie plans so I hope to build the mast as per the plans, though they are a little vague (to me anyway) - I think I will use an ali mast though

Wayne 

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 12:14:11 pm »

If your mast is going to  be a diy job intrested to see what solution you come up with to attach the mainsail to the mast. 

Hi Frank - I have the original boom that came with this model, which has a pin fitted for the gooseneck, I will make up the gooseneck support as per the krispie instructions and re-use the original boom which is made from ali tubing with the ends flattened and drilled for the sheets etc

wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 06:11:31 pm »

Hi all, spent the afternoon making a stand for the krispie and finally pulled off all the rigging and bits. Have sanded off the deck a bit though it needs some more work. I had a bit of P38 left over so applied that to the hull, need to buy some more or some of the stuff suggested under the painting thread, though its quite heavy on my budget.

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 07:20:28 pm »

Hi Guys, time for your guidance again please.

This Krispie was obviously vane operated before, I would now like to make it RC - I would prefer not to cut into the deck, so is it feasible to put all the equipment on the deck? At best I could cut a smallish bit out of the deck between mast and rudder and built some sort of superstructure, I could then put the Rx and batteries in there, not sure I could manage putting the rudder servo in there though, so is there a waterproof one available as well as a water proof drum servo for the sail rigging? I could then run a continous line along the deck with two attachments for the jib and main sail - Any thoughts and suggestions welcome please -

Also how do I change the title of this thread to "36R Krispie"?

Cheers, Wayne

Stavros

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 11:07:49 pm »

Sorry I dont think this will work simply as the height of the sail winch servo is far to big,cut the deck I'm afraid and mount all the running rigging underneath as everyone else does.

Dave

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 12:38:29 am »

Hi Guys, time for your guidance again please.

This Krispie was obviously vane operated before, I would now like to make it RC - I would prefer not to cut into the deck, so is it feasible to put all the equipment on the deck? At best I could cut a smallish bit out of the deck between mast and rudder and built some sort of superstructure, I could then put the Rx and batteries in there, not sure I could manage putting the rudder servo in there though, so is there a waterproof one available as well as a water proof drum servo for the sail rigging? I could then run a continous line along the deck with two attachments for the jib and main sail - Any thoughts and suggestions welcome please -

Also how do I change the title of this thread to "36R Krispie"?

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne, cannot help with the thread name, sorry...
Considering that this is a 900 - 1000mm boat you really need to put the RC gear below deck. It would look AWFUL all on deck as the structure you would need to build would be quite bulky and would likely interfere with the main boom as well.
If you have a choice, make the hatch reasonably central.

You have three winch choices as I see it:
a) an arm winch is simple if you have room below deck for the arm to swing
b) a drum winch below deck (something like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20854__SW4805_4PA_Sailwinch_Servo_6_13kg_45g_0_70.html - comes in 4 turn and 6 turn variants)
c) a continuous loop winch either below completely deck or with winch below deck and the loop on deck (image below shows the aft end of such a setup - winch servo (EXI B1226 or similar) actually mounts through the deck - this is on a Hurricane 1000 - simple, works great) Highlight in the image is from another discussion on easy ways to make sheets adjustable....

First thing you need to work out is now much sheet travel you need (this is determined by distance from boom pivot to sheet attachment point) - for a 1 metre boat this is typically 250 - 280 mm

Rudder - mount it in a tray accessible through your new hatch
Radio gear and battery also in same central area

Hope this helps
Amateur at work...

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 07:42:19 am »

I agree totally with mrpenguin, if you're going to change this over to RC then it's best to follow well established installation methods as they (a) work and (b) will keep the boat dry inside.  As I presume you can't remove the deck, the method mrpenguin has shown has to be the best to employ as the sheeting loop can easily be installed on deck and you'll have the minimum interference to the boat's  superstructure. The steering servo could be installed under a hatch aft, covered in a simple sticky patch, which is the normal, cheap and simple way of keeping the water out of a racing boat like this.

By the time you're finished you should have a nice boat to sail there. .... :-)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 08:35:02 am »

A thought

As a Krispie the structure of the hull will be very light.

This may include any frames. Compared with wood planking, the cardboard will have limited tensile strength and very limited compressive strength.
It is possible that the torque in a sail winch will tear itself out of the hull, or maybe even tear the boat apart.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 09:12:26 am »

As a Krispie the structure of the hull will be very light. This may include any frames. Compared with wood planking, the cardboard will have limited tensile strength and very limited compressive strength.

I agree, one thing about opening the deck up is that it will be possible to see just how the thing has been constructed and maybe add some strengthening members. People who built this did the structural members in a variety of ways, some wood some lighter materials ..... without looking inside it's difficult to be sure...

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 12:56:44 pm »

Thanks Mrpenguin - I will look into the various winches -

Thanks Artistnmike and tigertiger - I will start looking at cutting into the deck to check the construction, it will almost certainly need some beefing up inside - I may go with an arm winch all depends on how much access I can get to create the fixing points -

As the rudder tube runs all the way through the hull, I was wondering it it would work if I put the servo under the deck but ran the links to an arm fixed to the rudder tiller above the deck, say through sheet tubes, I have seen some in brass that come up through the deck about 10-15mm and curve around 90 degrees- This would mean the servo links would be some sort of thread and as I planned on having two connections between the servo and tiller, one would always be pulling on the tiller.

Wayne
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.