Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great war Films & Movies....  (Read 8905 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Great war Films & Movies....
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 03:32:51 pm »

...my all-time favourite film - "Oh What A Lovely War", which perfectly captures the grim humour and futility of WW1.

Rick

Yes...and for more futility:

Paths of Glory.

The original All Quiet on the Western Front.

Stunning.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

bigfella

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 10:25:54 pm »

Dad's Army

But how true was it, My Dad lived in Southend and says the day war broke out there was a soldier posted every 100yds along the seafront with his tin hat and a rifle (no Bullets) just bayonet to fend of Hitlers invasion.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 08:39:56 am »

Tora, Tora, Tora. Exellent film and quite accurate historically.

Mark.

I went to see that film in Japan (Still at sea then) - bad idea  >:( All the spoken English had subtitles and of course the Japanese had none  ;D ;D I came out impressed with the camera work but not a lot wiser to who said what !

Did anyone see that film about a sinking liner, I think Robert Ryan was in it, where his wife is trapped in the cabin. Not a awar film I know, but very good as they took a real ship and did a controlled sinking in the Inland Sea, then floated her and flogged her on for scrap.

MikeK

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2007, 08:52:57 am »

I think that was the film The Last Voyage - it was on 2 weeks ago!.... the film where they need the acetylene torch to cut her out of the cabin.

Did anyone see that film about a sinking liner, I think Robert Ryan was in it, where his wife is trapped in the cabin. Not a a war film I know, but very good as they took a real ship and did a controlled sinking in the Inland Sea, then floated her and flogged her on for scrap.

MikeK
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Cargo

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 10:10:35 am »

All quiet on the western front
Bridge to far
Platoon
Saving private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket

And there was a movie about WW I, some German and French soldiers celebrating Christmas time together... 

EDIT: between German and British Soldiers, the name of the movie is "Mery Christmas".

Cargo

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 12:11:47 pm »

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 04:14:55 pm »

I think that was the film The Last Voyage - it was on 2 weeks ago!.... the film where they need the acetylene torch to cut her out of the cabin.

Did anyone see that film about a sinking liner, I think Robert Ryan was in it, where his wife is trapped in the cabin. Not a a war film I know, but very good as they took a real ship and did a controlled sinking in the Inland Sea, then floated her and flogged her on for scrap.

MikeK
That's the one, sorry I missed it this time around. Just to be a bit more weird, the ship that you keep seeing in the movie, supposedly coming to the rescue, was the M.V. Eastern Muse of ICSN Co Ltd Hong Kong - which is the ship I was sailing in around the time I saw Tora Tora in Japan. Strange but boring ! :-\ :-\
MikeK

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 07:10:35 pm »

Hi all

one film I sat and watched on C4 on Tuesday that would be 1 May 2007 was San Demetrio London (1943) its an Inspiring tale of wartime heroism based on a true story ... Cast: Ralph Michael (2nd Officer Hawkins); Walter Fitzgerald (Chief Engineer Charles Pollard) its about the British Tanker during WW2 that was shelled and set on fire and the crew abandoned her.  Half the crew reboarded her to put out the fires and bring her home.   The crew members received £14000 between the 16 of them (hey a lot of money in the 1940s).

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 07:30:23 pm »

Paths Of Glory is a superb film, but perhaps it should be classed as an anti-war film.
Oh What A Lovely War! is also anti-war. Some of it is very imaginatively done. Such as the young man at the rifle range on the pier, the camera goes around him and he winds up in uniform somewhere else. I recommended this film to a workmate once when it was being shown on TV. "I watched that war film last night. It were barmy!" he said to me next day.
There's no pleasing some people.
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 09:55:49 am »

The two movies that come to mind are Breaker Morant, and The Odd Angry Shot........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

bigfella

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2007, 10:26:44 am »

Yes, yes, yes The Odd Angry Shot. But Roy I would not think that it would have been seen in the UK. What a classic film.
For those in the UK If you ever get the chance to see it, DO!!!

Regards David

Mayhem Moderation

• Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2007, 12:22:23 pm »

Battle of the River Plate - on today ( Bank Holiday Monday - May 7) 13:20 Channel 4!
But What Do I Know?!?!

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2007, 01:05:02 pm »

saw this for the first time straight through with no interruptions an oldie but a goodie dr strangelove very scary as i recognise some of the bush administration in the film!
badly raised and ill mannered.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 23 queries.