Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokits 46' crash tender  (Read 9769 times)

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aerokits 46' crash tender
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 01:17:22 pm »

Red
Did you cut the bulkheads before the build or after,  if after what did you cut them with?
I use a small hand saw, but unable to get them as tidy has yours.

Alan

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 05:38:25 pm »

Red, Another question.
What are the Rubbing stakes made out of? and what is the sizes of this and the chine rails?
Many thanks
Alan

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 11:52:22 pm »

The bulkheads where cut out early in the refurb, I wanted all the heavy work out of the way, they where done with a dremel, series of close cut small holes, then a cutting drill bit joined them up, and out fell the bulkheads! tidied up with a sanding disc on the dremel.

Paint, I would rather not recommend a brand, I have had endless problems and setbacks with the painting process, except the grey which was mixed for me, using the correct bs631 grey colour.

it has been done with aerosols, the job has been made easier by reconstructing new cabin tops, wheelhouse roof etc with plasticard. We also made a pair of plasticard sides and epoxied these over the wood sides, this means easier to paint, better finish as no wood to prepare, and all the windows are the same size, parallel, and same height. THe front wheelhouse was also rebuilt with plasticard, and the window frames made of the same.

My esc's are from hobbyking, turnigy 60amp reversing. not like yours though :((

Not sure what you mean by rubbing stakes, I think its the spray rails, I learnt with my 3 footer these are real critical, I used 3mm square plastic section, EMA model supplies, as they where the only people I could find that did 1m lengths, so no joins. On testing the boat handles very well and sails nice and flat, my smaller fireboat handles terrible in comparison with very excessive rolling on turns, bigger spray rails will sort it when I have some time!

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 12:54:12 pm »

Red,
On the side of my crash tender there was 2 pieces of wood running along the entire length of boat,  where thdeck meets the side. I think this is the Rubbing stakes,  mine was made from wood.
The other is where the side skin meets the bottom skin. Need to know these 2 sizes and what wood?
Thanks for the colour of paint,  will try to get a mixture in an aerosol?.
I have attached a photo of my Swordsman.
Are you going to the fireboat day next week?
Regards
Olly4950

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:28 pm »

If the 46" was ready I would go, but as its not, I doubt I will bother, its a two hour drive to the fireboat funday, so maybe next year.

I think I know what you mean,at the bottom, the stip that sticks out are the spray rails, absolutely critical on this boat if you intend to get up on the plane and go fast. Mine are 3mm x 3mm square plastic strip, and in hindsight would probably have gone a bit bigger, on testing they do work.

The aerokits hull isnt that accurate, look at the front of the real thing, its a funny shape really.

On the deck, if its the strip that sticks up, I dont know what that is called, it does have a couple of spaces to allow water to run off

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.