Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GAMES WE PLAYED AS KIDS  (Read 4500 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
GAMES WE PLAYED AS KIDS
« on: August 27, 2012, 03:22:08 pm »

I am going on 62 now,  and when I was a kid growing up, and lucky to make teenage years, where Polio, Tuberculosis  and dyptheria were rife, and there was no such things as anti bacterial hand washes, ecoli was a myth and you went into hospital to be cured of bugs, not to get them, I played a game with my mates.

It concerned a game of marbles played over an open drain water plate, ( the ones with open slats, so that the marbles wouldn't fall through), and the drain had to be perfectly selected so that the gutter that the drain lid sat in sloped towards the drain obviously to allow the rainwater to disperse down the hole.

The object was to play the marbles along the lines of the slats by flicking the marbles up onto the roadway so that they came back down onto the next line, and if you hit the opponants marble you "took it" from them.

I think the basic rules were to win all marbles off the opposing player.....i.e. yer mate.

But that's as far as I remember the rules.........are these too simple or did anyone else of my age or older play the same game, before councils widened the grid slats and you couldn't play the game anymore....the marbles would fall through.

the reason for asking is that whilst i'm thinking of my next project I am thinking ofmaking a game in timber so me and the kids can play the game, without subjecting ourselves to unknown deseases and perils from playing over an open storm drain , lol

a little diagram of what I had in mind..........but I could do with some better rules and game plans, lol

cheers.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
Re: GAMES WE PLAYED AS KIDS
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 03:50:57 pm »

I`m going on 54(sept 8th)and when i was youngwe all use to love playing "knock down ginger",i dont know where ginger come into it, as all it was is knocking on someone`s door and run away(naughty boy !)baloo

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 04:22:11 pm »

Whilst ruminating upon  prospective rules for Niels marble game, here is a variation on Knock Down Ginger. This involved awaiting the onset of darkness,we would then creep up someones garden path and tie a length of very fine fishing line to the door knocker. We would then retire behind the garden wall and use the fishing line to operate the door knocker. The victim of the prank would open the door, and failing to see the fishing line, would shut the door, as soon as the door was shut, another knock with the fishing line and so on, until the ruse was discovered and a chase ensued, the pranksters usually making good their escape. Being caught by an enraged householder usually ended up with a clip round the ear. :} :} :}
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:14:54 pm »

we did something similar where I used to live as a kid the front door of the houses /semis were close together with a small front garden fence in between.We used to tie string to both front door knobs over the fence and throw dirt at the windows and wait till they tried to open the doors. {-)but we never played the prank on the elderly. we had respect for them, besides me dad would have killed me {-) {-)

john

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 05:54:55 am »

lol those were the days, a clip round the ear from locol policeman and then another from dad for getting caught  :embarrassed:
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:38:32 am »

lol those were the days, a clip round the ear from locol policeman and then another from dad for getting caught  :embarrassed:
;) ;) ;) ;)

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:12:33 pm »

usedto get paper mushroom bags fill them with doggie doodoo light them and leave them on a doorstep , knock or ring the bell and leg it , or the time we shackled a chain from an iron railing that was around the car park of the police station to the back bumper of a squad car before he went to the local village football training , we were all team members inc the PC , winter was a favourite , we used to have a hospital in the village where I stayed and we would make snow men and give them odd poses and use ketchup to simulate blood at the back door and ring the staff bell , but favourite was when the same village first had street lamps fitted ,think there were twenty five or so we realised if you shook them it would knock them out (not permenantly) and try race round the whole lot putting them out before the first one relit itself but one thing is for sure as kids we were never in my mother was lucky to see me before nine o clock at night fr my dinner but most things were just harmless fun somethings damn frightering when I think abbout it now ie climbing 70ft trees and falling throu the branches , think they were some kind of pine tree

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:42:15 pm »

Ah yes, the dog poo trick, used to do that but refrained from posting, lest it should meet with disapproval :-)) :-)) :-)).....

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:38:57 pm »

my favourite game with the girls on our estate was "you show me yours and I will show you mine" no touching tho! (that came later)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 10:30:53 pm »

if you hit the opponants marble you "took it" from them.

Were you the boy who lost his marbles Neil? It would explain a three boat build {-)

We had a game call split the kipper. It involved a knife and an ever widening stance but I can't  remember the rules?

Bitish Bulldog was another popular game - a bit rugger like - and ever so rough O0 - No Quarter given

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 10:39:38 pm »

lost my marbles years ago matey.....a pre requisite of joining thisa site, I do believe %% %% %% %% %% %% %%

as for Split the Kipper........was the first to fall flat on his face with the knife in the back, that lost...............we played rough in Fleetwood........ {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 10:50:55 pm »

Ah yes, British Bulldog, I can still feel the bruises! Jap's and Commando's, now there was a game, many was the time the local park was full of kids tear-arsing :-) :-) :-) about shouting rat-a-tat tat and other simulated battle noises, The 'Jap' contingent shouted Banzai when charging and Aieeeeee when shot, whilst Charge and aghhhh being the order of the day for the commandos. machine guns, hand grenades etc were fashioned from anything that bore a slight resemblance to a weapon. A variation was to substitute Germans for Jap's, with shouts of ACH and Himmel. Kids do not seem interested in such games any more, they really don't know what they are missing......  

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 10:53:52 pm »

I kissed Victoria Bull, Mary Quinn, Carla Baptista, etc ........... but wanted to kiss Celia McCormack and Anne Marie Norton O0

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 11:03:54 pm »

Ah ha British Bulldog now wasnt that the game where we used to karatee chop our oponents in the neck as they ran past and if we missed tripped them up .....those were the days

And of course there was river jumping,get the longest and hopefully strongest piece of dead wood and try and pole vault the local river and if you were lucky you didnt get wet.lol

And how about wet grass toboganing with plastic sacks....my derrier still hurts

Dave

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 11:12:15 pm »

Rope swings! :-)) :-)) :-))

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 11:25:30 pm »

And how about soap box cart jumping that was a laurf and a half I cheated and used solid wheels as the pram wheels collapsed under my WEIGHT NOW NOW NO comments on that one HA HA

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 11:37:08 pm »

My kids think I'm pulling their plonkers when I tell them of the stunts that we kids got upto when their age............they don't believe me.....which saddens me a little because the youth of today just don't experiment in life................there is no wow factor becuse the pc brigade has become over protective with rules, regs and laws to curtail fun and laughter.

I remember my dad ( an ex copper) bailing me out from the local nick, when I and a couple of mates had been hunting for bonfire wood...........we'd been told to smash up an old boat that was an eye sore  had been beached where the Lifeboat station at Fleetwood is now by a local fisherman/boat owner called Harry Bird...............we took hammers and hatchets to it ...........only to be told by a local visiting plodd that it ( the boat) was needed for a coroner's court report because sadly ( but as kids we didn't know) 3 men had been lost when the home made boat had capsized off the port and we were now in big s**t...............we were let off with a kick up the assienda by the duty sergeant.............in today's PC society we'd now be doing time in a young offenders institute............the world has gone PC mad!!!!!

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 12:12:44 am »

You have not changed much Neil you are as bad or depending on how we view you as good as you have ever been, & I hope you live long & die happy. There is now a Brigade that would deny you anything except to eat, work & sleep & they are now working on how to screw that up. Some of what I did would be blue penned  as soon as I printed it, best left to history. Mick B.
Mick B.

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 07:48:44 am »

We  used  to make popguns out of tree branches firein an acorn an have wars with them an we used to go birdnestin to see how many eggs in each nest an write them down in a little book an the nests location's an go back an check them hopeing no one eles had stolen the eggs an  we also helped with the harvest stackin up the shufts i think they were called after the old binder had dropped them on the feild an when the baler came on the scene some yrs later we used the bales to make dens an again have wars by throwin the corn stubble as hand grenades an we used to shout boom youre all dead haha some really great times those were as has been said we were out all day an you dint worry about goin home till late in the evening  . An yes i think also that the children of today have missed out on  really good time's
chris

Lady Lifeboat

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 08:38:29 pm »

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 09:29:47 pm »

Good for you Lady, you hit a lot of nails right on the head today, I think we have lived through the best of times, never to be repeated I fear, Mick B.
Mick B.

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 12:03:38 am »

Well I was born a few years after 1945, but I remember camping overnight in vacant fields, bush lots, some of them in the city. We even hunted rabbits with bows and arrows, the only thing the police (you would never dare call them cops) said was to make sure we didn't shot each other. We built battery powered go karts using starter motors (gas ones were to hard and expensive) and the only thing we were told was not to run anyone over and stay on the side streets. You considered yourself grown up when you were old enough to ride your bike on the road, not like now when they all ride on the sidewalk and yell at you the pedestrian to get out of the way. You said Yes Sir or Mame when talking to an older person, and you automatically gave your seat to someone older on public transit. You didn't have cell phones you had party lines, and if you were lucky you had the hot girl in the neighborhood on your line, and you tried to listen in on her with out getting caught by ether her or your parents, (that how I had a black eye and a sore bottom for my 12th birthday).
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 05:29:35 am »

Gerald, you are my kind of guy, just a hares breath ahead of trouble, always figuring what we could do & get away with next. We once tied a cotton reel of thread to an old ladies door chain late at night, ( she locked her house with a big padlock & the chain)I guess she was scared out of her wits , she told all the neighbours that the Devil was outside her house all night. Needless to say we did not do it again in case she had a heart attack & it would be our fault. Mick B.
Mick B.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 10:11:00 am »

Favourite game for us lusty country lads was doctors and nurses....   %) 

Not that I joined in, you understand... ;D
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 10:20:55 am »

Favourite game for us lusty country lads was doctors and nurses....   %) 

Not that I joined in, you understand... ;D

And why not?  ;D

Actually maybe that smiley was not wise considering.... might get the rubber gloves out lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.