Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stand off scale yacht 'Force 8'  (Read 18653 times)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
Stand off scale yacht 'Force 8'
« on: August 27, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »

So here goes my first foray into model yachts, other than the damaged yacht I bought some years ago shown in this thread - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39116.0 -

The yacht I am planning to build a model of is called 'Force 8' which was designed by Angelo Lavranos in the 1970s, the yacht was built in Rhodesia (where I am from) and was used in the 1979 Cape to Rio yacht race, I believe it placed 14th. The yacht was crewed by eight members of the Rhodesian security forces, hence FORCE 8 - The yacht still exists in New Zealand.

I have recently been in touch with Angelo Lavranos, who has kindly agreed to supply me with plans of the boat. i will not be able to post them on forum, but you can see the basics that were published in "South African Yachting" plus some photos of the yacht here - http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=235124

This will be a long time in the making but I will post progress as I go along - It will probably be a few weeks before I get the plans anyway.

Wayne

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stand off scale yacht 'Force 8'
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »

looks pleasing to the eye , what size are you thinking of biuldnig too ?

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:07:18 pm »

Hi Triumphjon, the plans are drawn at 1/15 and this is the scale I will build the yacht - Makes a model about 930mm long, which I reckon is a manageable size both for the construction and handling / display

Wayne

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:14:51 pm »

Hi Wayne

It's really nice that Angelo Lavranos  has provided you with plans of the boat.
I'm sure you'll do a great job - and meanwhile  I'll do a great build watch  O0 {-)

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:03:28 am »

I'm really looking forward to watching this Wayne, as Dave says you're lucky to have been allowed to use the plans and at the size you're building it, it will be a practical size to sail.... Keep us of informed as to progress   :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:55:08 am »

I've put this on your other thread, but you may as well have it here too... A good source of info regarding rigging model yachts.... http://www.theamya.org/my/138-SampleWebEdition0801.pdf   :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 02:42:19 pm »

Thanks Guys, I am looking forward to this build - I recall making a small yacht as a kid, solid shaped balsa hull with a mast and main sail, remember floating it in the local pool, I don't recall how well it worked though. This time will be different if I can get my head around all the workings needed!

Artistmike - Thanks for the link, now to get my head around it all!

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 08:44:30 am »

Plans have arrived and as soon as I can get into town next week I will have them printed and then its time to get building - Oh I had better order in some wood, I think I will go with ply for the formers, not sure re the hull covering yet, probably thin balsa - The plan was to use the wooden hull but it may be better to make a fglass female mould then a fglass hull, any suggestions? If the fglass mould/hull does not work, at least I will still have the wooden hull to work with.

Cheers

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 09:59:51 am »

Would 0.8 balsa be sufficient for the hull covering? I assume I should glue it in diagonally?

Thanks

wayne

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 12:16:39 pm »

Would 0.8 balsa be sufficient for the hull covering? I assume I should glue it in diagonally?

Thanks

wayne

You need to consider that you will hit things, or they will hit you.
Also if you use something thicker you have surplus material to sand to lose the planking effect. You can then put a layer of 'J' cloth inside the hull and impregnate with resin. Or you can use glass cloth and resin on the outside for extra strength, or do both.
If you diagonally plank, you can use two layers of planking at opposite angles and sandwich cloth between the layers.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 12:27:43 pm »

Thanks Tigertiger, I was thinking along the lines of using the wooden hull as a former for fibreglass mould then make a fibreglass hull - However I think this may be too much for my skills so I reckon I will try the double layer of planking with "J" cloth - By "J" cloth do you mean the stuff used for washing dishes?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 01:10:24 pm »

Yup, dishes.

Have a look in the Masterclass section. A couple of the builds have the double skinned diagonal planking techniques set out on there.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 01:02:05 pm »

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to buy a yacht wheel like the attached please, with the steering post if possible - needs to be around 60-65mm diameter

Thanks

Wayne

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 03:03:20 pm »

To be honest, I've not seen one like that so this may be the time to think about scratch-building one yourself.... when you get involved with making a one design scale model, even a stand-off one, it's inevitable that you're going to have to make much of the items yourself, how's your silver soldering technique ?

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 03:12:17 pm »

Mmm I don't have any technique, my brother has said he will try though that would be in brass.  What white metal can one solder to make one that looks like chrome / stainless steel?

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 03:54:29 pm »

Hi Wayne.
               The yacht steering wheel you are looking for is the kind used on the Robbe and Graupner yachts. You may get one on line or E-Bay.

Frank    :P

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 04:00:08 pm »

Thanks Frank, I have seen the robbe wheel but it has what looks like wooden cross struts - I will have a look for the graupner one

Wayne

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 04:45:42 pm »

some modification might be a lot easier for you than scratch building

Dave

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 04:59:24 pm »

Hi Wayne.
               They come in both wood and plastic here a pic

Frank. :P

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 05:08:05 pm »

Thanks Frank I will keep an eye out for them

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 08:36:15 pm »

Anyone got any idea where I can get oval aluminium tube please, shape like pic below, long length about 24mm

Thanks

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »

Hi All, another question here - The plank on frame builds I have seen so far have the edges of the hull flush with the deck - The yacht I am going to build has the sides coming up above the deck, ranging from a few inches to about a foot or so (dimensions as on the full size yacht) - How would I go about doing this? I thought of carrying the planking past the deck line and then trimming it but how do I get the line cut to the right profile? The other option I thought about was to fit a strip (pre-shaped to the top of hull line) to the side of the hull about 10mm down the hull and then plank up to that strip. Any thoughts or ideas welcome

Thanks

Wayne

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 06:44:25 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean Wayne but it may be what is referred to as a Toe Rail, possibly custom designed, but these are usually not part of the planking but are fixed to the deck. If you try Googling toe rail in Google images you'll see what I mean .... Toe rails usually have holes at deck level, known as freeing ports that allow any water that comes on deck to be drained overboard.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »

Hi Artistmike, I am pretty sure it is what you call a toe rail, this yacht has a steel hull so the plates were probably just brought up above the height of the deck to form the rail, which is lower near the middle than it is at the bow

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »

Right I have my prints of the plans sorted out. Now to prepare the hull lines into individual bulkheads and get some 4mm ply and we can start - She is a bigg'un

Wayne
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.