Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stand off scale yacht 'Force 8'  (Read 18661 times)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Stand off scale yacht 'Force 8'
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 07:59:49 pm »

Looking forward to seeing how it goes .... :-))
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 10:15:43 am »

Things are progressing, I have hand drawn most of the frames, but I am looking at doing them on CAD and then having the frames cut on a water jet - Will have to see how it goes cost wise. I have some 3mm birch ply that I was going to use to make templates from the hand drawn frames and I may just do this anyway.

Also slowly working through a list of fittings etc needed. One thing I am struggling to find is streamlined aluminium tube about 1" across the long length.

Wayne

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 07:41:56 pm »

Wayne
You asked "Can anyone suggest where I might be able to buy a yacht wheel like the attached please, with the steering post if possible - needs to be around 60-65mm diameter"
Sorry I am getting to the party a bit late - but for future reference check out the Kyosho Fairwind lll is has a helm station much like the one you show in the photo you posted and it is 60MMs.

Fairwinds have been produced by Kyosho for many years. They come in and go out of production - the most recent version being their Faiwind lll the best version so far. I posted a photo of the helm for you to see. Kyosho just pulled the Fairwind lll of production but there are parts available on line here in the states should you or anyone have an interest.

Boomer

Not able to post the picture I mentioned but you can check out this boat at the Kyosho website http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=103329

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 08:08:40 pm »

Hi Boomer

Thanks very much I will have a look out for a wheel off the fairwind, much appreciated - might you have any links to someone selling the wheel please

Wayne

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 10:08:11 pm »

Hi Boomer

Thanks very much I will have a look out for a wheel off the fairwind, much appreciated - might you have any links to someone selling the wheel please

Wayne

Wayne
Go to Kyosho America at this link. You can order from them directly http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Rigging-Parts-Set-B-FAIRWIND_p_2643.html
Part number for this item is FW17C it sells for $19.00 USD plus postage.
I was able to compress the picture of the aft end of the Fairwind that shows the helm station I am talking about.
That page has a good picture of the parts that you can enlarge. It comes with a few extra trim parts you may or may not be able to use.
Boomer

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 06:32:53 am »

Excellent thanks Boomer, and there are a few extra parts I can use in that lot

Are you Boomer1 across on RC Groups? I have the same name on there as here

Cheers

Wayne

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 07:09:47 pm »

That would be me.  :-))

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 10:11:22 pm »

Hi Boomer

Wayne

goBulawayo

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=5793

I have just taken two wheels off my Kyosho Seadolphin - see the photos in the GiantCod/Shark forum
I'll dig them out and if they're any good to you, you can have them FOC - I intend to hack off the
mountings for the wheels too, and you can have those as well - they should modify OK for what
you want. Let me know what diameter wheels you are after and I'll measure the seadolphin ones.

Richard

Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 10:19:58 pm »

Thanks Richard, looking for around 60mm diameter please

Regards

Wayne

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 10:26:15 pm »

Nah - these are only baby ones (40mm) - I'll stick 'em in some
compost and see if they'll grow a bit!

Richard
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 10:30:47 pm »

Thanks Richard, just had a look at the plan again and they are 51mm so yours are still a bit shy on size, thanks for checking

Wayne

Islander51

• Shipmate
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 12:00:11 pm »

Kyosho Seawind wheels are 48 mm, so only about  1/8" away from the  2" wheels that the plan calls for.

I'm old enough that going back to inches makes it easier to visualise sometimes.    %)

Edward.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 05:47:55 pm »

Hi Guys

Started laying out the board that I am going to build the yacht on, I see the frames are quite close together, about 35mm centres, and I was wondering whether I could get away with removing some of the frames, increasing the centres to about 70mm or maybe even 95mm? Any suggestions welcome - I certainly think I have too many.

Thanks

Wayne

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 04:07:58 pm »

I have decided to go with half the frames that I had originally planned on using. Now to get some 4mm ply and get on with the frames

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:03 pm »

@BulaWayo:
I am not a builder, but it sure did look like a lot of frames for the size of the vessel compared to other build pics I have seen....
Seems a good call to me...
Unless you have something wrong with translating the scale somehow???

Amateur at work...

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 09:55:49 pm »

Thanks MrPenguin

No issue translating the scale I have taken them straight off the drawing which is for a full size yacht, so probably needs all the additional frames which at full size are about 53cm apart. Having looked at other builds, I think I will be OK with the wider spacing.

Wayne

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2012, 10:13:33 pm »

Thanks MrPenguin

No issue translating the scale I have taken them straight off the drawing which is for a full size yacht, so probably needs all the additional frames which at full size are about 53cm apart. Having looked at other builds, I think I will be OK with the wider spacing.

Wayne

Aha!!! That would make sense....
If you are working from the full size plans you may well find othere similar issues that need some "translation"

Amateur at work...

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2012, 11:30:07 am »

Hi GoB... I am just about to restore a 36R yacht, about your size at 36 inches and that has 11 frames including the transom.  So you are about right with the photo showing spacers.
regards Roy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 11:53:16 am »

Thanks Roy - It will save on material too!!

Cheers

Wayne

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2012, 12:07:44 pm »

Hi Gob.. what is the displacement of the model?  I ask as the keel is not very deep on the plans I looked at on the full size boat.  Have you calculated this?
I would think the keel is not deep enough for a model to sail well.
can exchange thoughts on line now
regards Roy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2012, 03:03:26 pm »

Hi Roy

No idea re the displacement, it was suggested by the designer that it would be about 4.5kg but I am not sure, how would I work this out? - I know that I would probably need some sort of add-on keel for sailing and keep the original keel as is for display - Again I have no idea how this keel extension would work. Perhaps I could leave a slot in the underside of the original keel into which a tongue on the add-on would slide and then have bolts to fix them together - I know this would leave holes in the original keel when on display but I think I can live with that.

Wayne

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2012, 03:39:19 pm »

Hi Wayne, you might just get away with that displacement.  When you cut out the frames have you made allowance for the planking?
How thick are the planks to be?  I think I read earlier that you were going to use ply.

The side view of the full size boat shows only a small depth of keel.  You could go to double that depth and it would not spoil the lines.

Another way to increase the displacement is to thicken up the keel.  Not a lot, maybe 1/4 of an inch each side and keep it all in an aerofoil cross section not a bluff round that tapers off.

The amount of keel in side view is going to allow rather a lot of sideways movement when sailing, i.e. she will not point up so well when tacking into wind.  If you can increase this all to the good.
You will need to get as much lead as low as possible to balance the wind on the sails.

There are a lot of variables.  Which are the ones already decided?  I.e. have you already cut out the frames?  Decided on the thickness of the planking?

regards Roy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2012, 04:50:33 pm »

Hi Roy

Drawings of the frames are full width so no allowance for hull thinkness, would adding 1.5mm to the width (well 3mm for both sides) do anything detrimental to the model shape? If so I am going to have to try re-draw them with 1.5mm less. I did start drawing the frames on AutoCAD and I am thinking it would probably be a good idea to complete them that way as it will be easy to offset them and I could even go for 3mm per side for two layers of planking.

I have not cut out the frames yet, I had thought of using 1.5mm balsa strips to plank the hull, but then again ply strips would probably be stronger? I then planned on adding a cloth layer with resin.

The keel is about 30mm wide at its widest point and roughly around 20 wide for a good portion of its thickness - I was thinking that I could form the two halves of the keel out of lead that is then bolted together and the whole lot cloth & resin coated? I will draw out a double depth keel on the drawing to see how it looks and as you say that might be the way to go, there is always going to be some give or take in making this a working model but as near to original as possible -

Wayne

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2012, 06:40:47 pm »

Hi Wayne, keep the frames the way you have them as adding the planking will give you a greater displacement and this is a good thing.

I don't like balsa for this job, you do not need the lightness so go for a harder wood.  You will see the frames through thin balsa as they simply use the frames as corners.
Ply at worst cut with grain running along hull length, but it works, any knot free straight grained wood.

I would use 3 mm planking to allow for some smoothing down afterwards.  Planks can be quite expensive. 

I have used 3 mm liteply ( cut 5mm and 8mm wide) lengthwise on one yacht smoothed it to nice fair curves and then 1 mm x 6mm wide diagonal planking.  If you cut with a circular or band saw allow for the cutting losses.
Very strong hull this way and with diagonal planking there is very little wastage.  But the planking is not cheap, work out the area and add 10 %, you don't have to have long planks so they could be cut from Bass wood or obechi.
You can widen the keel simply by double planking.
I think construction in this way will give you the displacement to carry the extra lead as low down as possible.
Have a think about how you will bolt the lead through to the hull to make it a good mechanical joint.

Are you stepping the mast on the keel or the deck?

I think it should all work for you.
regards Roy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2012, 07:44:19 pm »

Thanks Roy, will leave them as is -

The frames are going to be 4mm (or is it 3.6mm??) ply, just the covering was to be balsa. I will look into liteply though - I think the shape will be fairly easy to plank along the length of the hull (long planks though the boat is about 936mm long -

The way I have seen the lead keels bolted was holes right through the lead pieces with a wider hole about half way through (or at least enough to recess the nut and bolt) - washers fitted both sides then nut tightened up. I think the builder may have filled the recesses with resin or epoxy adhesive, then glassed over the lead and painted -

I am going to step the mast on the keel, one idea was the widen the keel at that point as well as make the keel higher, then a hole drilled in about 2/3 down the depth of the keel at that point, then once mast inserted drill a hole through the 'step' and mast and bolt it in. Actually I will have to make the hole a slot so the mast can lean back a bit.

Another idea was to widen as before and use a ring like a washer with a collar to fit the mast foot into

Regards

Wayne
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.