Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: pompey harbour  (Read 18526 times)

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Re: pompey harbour
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2007, 12:25:36 pm »

From that angle, she looks good as a three mast ship of the line doesn't she  ;D ;D

MikeK

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »

I was down there Friday doing my pec vist, the bow you can see is of a French survey type that came in with two others for a weekend break

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2007, 08:47:43 pm »

In all seriousnes they are close to the end of their lifespans, but, what are the powers that be replacing them with I ask? NOTHING! Or if some 45s, NOT ENOUGH!
 It always saddens me this stuff, we tried everything to save Plymouth and Bronnington, they are still in Birkenhead in a very sorry state and it looks like Bronnington has had it now. The rhumor is, Plymouth is for the torch too!
 It makes me wonder and begs the question, why save Whimbrel and pay all that money to get her lifted back from Egypt, when they could have saved others, what we need is one big museum in the middle of the country with a dozen or so ships/ boats of grey funnel vintage plus other attractions there, say a bit of RAF and Army stuff. Now wouldn't that be a museum and a half? Come on Gordon Brown, sort it out, I say? :P
Good idea. Where would you put it? Wanting to put it in the middle of the country could make it difficult for the Navy! (only joking). But in all seriousness ...we Do have a lot of Military museums around the country. But we are also a small country. It's OK for the USA to have these things scattered all over the place, but look at the amount of real estate they can play with. I (personally) think that siting (eg) Warrior, Victory etc. and the the newish Chatham thing is a mistake. To gather everything on the South Coast is really quite inept....there are millions of British people North of the South Coast, and only foreigners south of it. Liverpool could have become a beacon of maritime and military heritage...but somebody blew it. Could have been great. But, alas.
Notes from a simple seaman

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2007, 09:39:57 am »

I was down at Gosport front on Saturday in time to see the South African 'stealth' type frigate sail out. Don't know any more about her, but there were quite a few blokes armed with fancy cameras taking pictures and the thought crossed my mind that one of them could be a fellow Mayhemmer and a photo might be on here shortly. As usual I was armed only (?) with SWSBO so no pics forthcoming from me.
Anyone else there ??

MikeK

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2007, 11:06:45 pm »

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2007, 09:01:58 am »

Very  realistic, until the ferry smashing part, unfortunately in this day and age it is not beyond the realms of reality  :-[

MikeK

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2007, 04:03:39 pm »

sorry DickyD and Collin if you are familiar with these scenes!!!!

Yup! Been there, done that! I found I could get rid of the greenish tint from the glass by going into Photoshop Elements and resetting the auto balance.

were those from the new spinaker tower thingie?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2007, 04:06:02 pm »

In all seriousnes they are close to the end of their lifespans, but, what are the powers that be replacing them with I ask? NOTHING! Or if some 45s, NOT ENOUGH!
 It always saddens me this stuff, we tried everything to save Plymouth and Bronnington, they are still in Birkenhead in a very sorry state and it looks like Bronnington has had it now. The rhumor is, Plymouth is for the torch too!
 It makes me wonder and begs the question, why save Whimbrel and pay all that money to get her lifted back from Egypt, when they could have saved others, what we need is one big museum in the middle of the country with a dozen or so ships/ boats of grey funnel vintage plus other attractions there, say a bit of RAF and Army stuff. Now wouldn't that be a museum and a half? Come on Gordon Brown, sort it out, I say? :P

if they cut up the Plymmy its an act of sacrilage for those who fought in the falklands war on both sides! that ship is as I see it, the only memorial to the war in the uk. SOMEONE SHOULD BE HUNG BY THE BALLS ON THE YARDARM OF VICTORY
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Daryl

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2007, 05:03:43 pm »

Can anyone enlighten me as to which ship this is, we took this during a tour of Portsmouth Harbour.

Thanks
Daryl

GLASGOW WARSHIP TEAM

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2007, 05:12:49 pm »

the ship is hms maidstone

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2007, 05:40:05 pm »

The Ship is "Rame Head" and is used by the SAS and SBS for training purposes.

LB

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2007, 06:35:56 pm »

And soon to be no more, one of the Sir class ships is being refitted in Falmouth, then being moved to Portland for that role.

Daryl

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2007, 07:09:09 pm »

thanks for letting me know

Daryl

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2007, 10:11:07 am »

Here are a couple of pairs!!!!!
Manchester and Edinburgh
Illustrious and Ark Royal

spoons

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2007, 11:02:08 am »

It seems like there are a lot of ships in at the moment, surely they cant all be in maintenace can they????????

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2007, 11:15:07 am »

Can't afford the fuel to send them to sea.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2007, 11:47:39 am »

Down at Gosport front last Saturday and the good lady remarked on the very big navy ship. Didn't catch on at first then realized and had to explain to her it was actually two aircraft carriers next door to each other !

MikeK

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2007, 03:02:34 pm »

Holmsey' photo above looks to have been taken from around the same spot and in her defence, if you know as much about ships as she does, it could be one long ship, I suppose  :D

MikeK

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2007, 06:09:58 pm »

Very mundane but the lighting's good

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2007, 06:30:36 pm »

Took this a couple of weeks ago - not in Pompey Harbour but you can just see the Spinnaker Tower in the distance.

farrow

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2007, 06:24:05 pm »

Here is another view for you guys, Invinceable last home coming before paying of. Also when there were such things as Sub flotillas based at Portsmouth.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2007, 08:05:47 pm »

Do you all really think it is just the price of fuel keeping the ships in harbour?  Ship maintenance and training all have to be done. The crews have to be paid, weaponry has to be maintained, aircraft have to fly even if it is only to keep the aircrews "up to date".
I believe that the "run-down" of the RN is really quite deliberate and will be used as an excuse for an integration into a Euro-Force.
We have already seen the "Mayhem" resulting from Devolution, but where will it end. This is all Political and nothing whatsoever to do with what I believe is the prime role of Government.....the defence of the realm and its inhabitants. I am NOT a member of the National Front, just a concerned citizen.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2007, 08:12:27 pm »

I'd agree with you on that Bryan. There seems to be no political commitment to the Navy. As an example, I have it on very good authority that to save money the training of naval officers on the subject of radar has been reduced from 30 sessions to 4. heaven help us if we are attacked!

banjo

The Royal Navy
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2007, 09:54:38 pm »

It was my impression the the role of the Royal Navy was to transport the thirst and sex organs of its "Club" from continent to continent.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2007, 10:06:24 pm »

Good joke Banjo, but the rundown of the Navy is becoming pretty alarming - especially with Russia flexing its muscles. You can't build a navy, or indeed any branch of the Forces overnight so allowing them to be run down the way they are is culpable action on the part of the Government in my view.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.