Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bow Thruster  (Read 4033 times)

RUSSELL

Bow Thruster
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:22:05 pm »

Your help needed!!

I will be building a Flying Spindrift, and would like to add bow thrusters and require assistance of what type you recommend. also how would I control the bow thruster as I have never used these before nor wired/controlled, what would i need and how??

I wouldbe grateful for your assistance on this matter.

Russell

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Bow Thruster
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:55:47 pm »

Russell

There are basically two commercial units; Graupner and Robbe. The Graupner unit is based on a Speed 400 motor and has a tube diameter only of around 14mm. Robbe make two units, both of which would be more suitable. I'd tell you more but you can Google "Robbe" as easily as I can, and Westbourne Models will give you the right advice anyway. If you want to DIY then delve deeper into this Forum but beware! Here be dragons!

As regards controlling them, again you have two options. One is to use two microswitches on top of a servo. There are numerous clever people on this Forum who can give you the wiring diagram - it may even be here already. This will give you Full Port or Full Starboard only. The other option is to use an electronic speed controller, operated from the LH stick of your 4 - 6 channel transmitter. This will allow you to control both the speed and direction of the flow, and won't cost much more than a servo plus two suitable microswitches.

Best to consult the kit manufacturers and see what they used - they've built at least one more Spindrift than you have, after all.

Suit yourself.

FLJ

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:43:02 pm »

Robbe and Graupner are the most popular ones but I've seen one by Metz ( I think ) that looked quite good.
But home made units are much better - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2486.0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 11:23:13 pm »

Just fitted a robbie one to my happy hunter works fine but dont expect them to move your tug around in spectacular fashion especially if there is windage on your superstructure Stavros

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:54:25 pm »

The one we have in the Sevren class Lifeboat is homemade videos here http://www.lifeboatmodels.co.uk/severnvideoclips.htm we did try the robbe one but it did not have the power needed. I think there is one  commercially available that has the power ask Phil Locke (17-21) http://www.philsrcmodels.co.uk/ as he has one in is Severn class Lifeboat and it was doing a good job at the Warwick show last year.

RUSSELL

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 08:20:24 pm »

Thanks, all for the info, great help.

Russell

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 08:57:25 pm »

Hi Russell,  I  would go for a home made bow thruster then you can make it to suit your tug,
    It needs to be low down in the Spin Drift.
    I also would use a speed  controlled B/thruster you have more control. hope this is some help to you,
    see photo of b/thruster in the typhoon.

Regards

John    POLL

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 11:02:41 pm »

this type of thruster works the best

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 11:29:03 pm »

Funny these photos should remind me that I've just watched CSI............... Please add a 12+ rating to shots like this, Mayhem. There may be youngsters reading this stuff.
FLJ  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.