Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood types  (Read 3069 times)

marcus

• Shipmate
Wood types
« on: August 29, 2012, 02:29:25 pm »

I am starting out on building a scratch built 1:48 scale model of HMY Fubbs - a 1724 built Royal Yacht, following a 675 (!) page"practicum" written by a modeller in the USA (Rev William Romero) with plans, which I happened across. All good stuff in terms of assistance other than the reference to wood stock which are seemingly unavailable in the UK

Aside from the interesting mix of imperial/metric measurements in the wood list, can anyone advise on UK sourced timber equivalents to : Par Marfin (Keel/keelson, stem/rudder) Redgum (frames) Mansonia (false keel/cap rails,parquetry,whales) Lemon (planking,carvings, stanchions et al )

My initial view was Redgum/Maple or bass or obechi: Mansonia /walnut: Lemon/lime and unsure about Par Marfin - walnut as well?

Any ideas gratefully received (ps I have been in touch with SLEC as a starter but they had no ideas on this score).

Many thanks

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Wood types
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 02:30:45 pm »

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:36:10 pm »

Pao Marfim (Par marfin) is an Australian wood also called Ivorywood (described as white and close grained, quite heavy)  I would have thought that Pear or Lime/Linden would be a suitable substitute.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

marcus

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 07:12:57 pm »

Many thanks for input.
Twigfolly replied as follows:
Pau Marfin is akin to Boxwood and a possible alternative would be Maple, Redgum you could use Spruce , Mansonia is very much like Black Walnut and Lemonwood seems to be similar to Pearwood.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.