Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Position of the rudder..???  (Read 3604 times)

Krishna

• aqua plannerrrr....................
  • Full Mayhemer
Position of the rudder..???
« on: August 29, 2012, 03:54:20 pm »

All respected Veterans in sport boat building.. please i need some guidance from you once.. now i am working to make some high speed racing boats for my personal line of models.. and also willing to make one Hydroplane, or known as Hydro boats, is a machine, with two sponsons at front.. so, i found a interesting thing that most of the rudder is fixed away from center line, to starboard side, in most cases.. can anyone guide me why this set up is adopted..? is there any problem to fix the rudder at center line..? please..
in sheer ecstasy of being a powerful,mushy,masculine trans woman of substance...

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Position of the rudder..???
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »

I believe something to do with the high speed and the torque from the motor wanting to turn the actual craft around the line of the propeller shaft. The offcentre rudder is by way of some compensation to this, however, I am sure some Hydro expert will tell all!

Krishna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:12:22 pm »

thank you Sir.. hope will get good advice on this.. i already started working on it.. when finished she will be in to 28 inches long and proportinally wide.. still confused about the position..
in sheer ecstasy of being a powerful,mushy,masculine trans woman of substance...

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:17:18 pm »

Many of the fast hydro's have the prop behind the transom so a rudder might get in the way without a long outrigger, also, if you have a surface piercing prop, you need to offset the rudder.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Krishna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 04:21:56 pm »

Sir, is there any must to use surface piercing prop on hydro boat..? can we make one with normal prop..? please..

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 04:32:50 pm »

If it's your boat Krishna you make your own choice  O0 Was just answering why the offset. With a surface piercer, the attempt to only have half the prop in the water should mean less drag coupled with sponsons to have the least wetted surfaces. If you go back to some of the thirties designs, the rudder was about a third of the way back from the front of the hull.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Krishna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 04:42:08 pm »

thank you once again Sir.. this one is my first attempt to make a hydro.. so no idea of final result.. it is not from any plan.. its my own design and crafting with foam board.. do not know it work or not.. but i am too fascinated after seeing a video of Catamaran race boat along with hydro.. i got a old damaged motor from one of my friend, from an old scraped helicopter.. almost damaged.. but now i rewinded it, replaced bearings.. on the outrunner cup, can read as 3600 kV motor.. hope works..and my plan to add a hand made pro on it.. try to fix as you instructed..

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »

There is no problem having the rudder directly behind the prop it works awesome even on surface drive.One issue you may face is torque on the rudder servo due to the prop wash ,for sports use its works very well,ive ran hydros both ways,its down to personal choice really.To answer your question about using submerged drive props yes of course you can its how the old thunderboats ran.
Mart

Krishna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 10:06:32 am »

thank you Sir.. now i am taking some self research, about propulsion, as i am not willing to use a flexible drive shaft.. so, trying with natural angled prop shaft, with hand made props.. in either directions.. and just checked at morn, in lake, and i was astonished with it's mode of running.. the power is too excess.. cant open throttle even slightly.. so, i am rewinding again the used motor for lower specs.. and thanks again for the advice, that can use rudder straight under the prop wash, and you are true, at first i was using a 9 grm micro servo, with a two inch valanced rudder plate, instantly ripped off from its mounting.. and the gears of servo was grinded.. so, after that i turn to a indirect drive servo, heavy, from Futaba from my older collections.. now working nicely.. i placed the rudder just behind the transom, with reinforced steel wires.. still waiting for the re trial, with reworked motor.. waiting to dry the insulation varnish.. and will also try with minimum ESC timing.. hope works.. once again, a million thanks for the advice and the great photograph.. will be back with crafts..

Krishna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 12:35:29 pm »

All respected modelers.. a million thanks for the guidance.. i completed both crafts with hand made props and fixed the rudder as same axis of prop as usual.. just worked perfectly.. here are two.. one is HYDRA.. is hydro boat..

Krishna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »

here is the action video.. any guidance and instructions are welcome as i can make even better my new crafts..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo1e2vBtxqI

Krishna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:39:19 pm »

and here is my catamaran..
see action here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAi0aaqq7Yg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.