Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upside Down Rudder Bailer water out or in ?  (Read 2347 times)

dazzle

• Full Mayhemer
Upside Down Rudder Bailer water out or in ?
« on: May 02, 2007, 01:34:37 pm »

Rudder from multi race boat the blade is upside down would anyone know why it is like this,
& how would it affect performance of boat, see pic.
Also weird water bailer set up on same boat, If the boat travels through water with front end up & stern down.
 would not this arrangement scoop water into the hull instead of removing it, see pic
Any Help ? Ta bob
Don't Hit the Rescue Dinghy

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Upside Down Rudder Bailer water out or in ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:05:47 pm »

Hi Bob,

the rudder looks to be either home made or home adjusted. Try it and see how the boat handles. Replacements are available if required.

The bailer looks interesting, I am guessing the tubes through the hull are either cut at an angle or are bent and mounted "facing backwards" relative to boat direction - the idea being that the lower pressure created within the tube by the water passing over the open tube ends will create suction to remove any water within the boat.

Looks like it is going to create a whole load of drag just where you do not want it. My advice would be to remove them and fill and smooth the holes. If a bailer is required then a more conventional one mounted through the transom should prove suitable.

If you have a sealed radio compartment at the rear of the boat you can pass a tube right through this compartment to the engine bay and still connect it to your auto bailer exiting the transom.

Hope this is helpful

Glenn

retro boats

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:18:35 pm »

hi dazzrl
 the -rudder is fine they work well
  its a racing models rudder  a lot of boats used them some of my boats still do
                steve

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 06:22:38 pm »

People have made all sorts of strange shaped rudders, torque cancelling, corrective, offse, upsidedown, revsed, etc etc....... as said, if it works, it works!

Martin  ;)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 07:35:52 pm »

A single bailer should do the job. 10mm sticking out below the hull seems a lot. The end of the tube needs to be cut at an angle. If the pick-up is right in the bottom of the bilge the bailer should empty water out of the hull ok.
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

dazzle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 10:09:35 pm »

Ta  for the Info guys, I will give the rudder a try. but will take Glenns advice & remove the bailers, they were not bent or angled back but straight down 90 degrees to hull, I don't trust them plus the dreaded word Drag.
Many Thanks for your help
bob
Don't Hit the Rescue Dinghy

patriktegelberg

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 11:27:23 pm »

Hello

I run such a bailer. Read article in the next number of the online magaine ModelGasBoats.
www.modelgasboats.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.