Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: crash tender (Fireboat) refurb and brushless conversion start to finish project!  (Read 52991 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer

wheelhouse glazing done, took simply ages, its 2mm lexan, didnt want thin plastricard, I think this boat will get wet at the front, so wanted something more substantial. Some of the fittings are on, its pretty much the bigger stuff I need to make, such as searchlight, monitors, davit etc.

The mast needs to fold down, like the real thing, for storage in that big box, even the hinges for the cabin roof hatches where a problem, I wanted plain strap hinges, couldnt find any anywhere, so had to make some up from plasticard, on the boat painted they look fine, hatches will not be opening so they dont need to be functional.

red181

• Full Mayhemer

Im really struggling trying to find anything suitable for the rescue nets that are on the rear cabin roof, the squares in the net need to be approx 1 inch, cant find anything anywhere, anybody got any ideas? :-))

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer

Hi
       RE: the net need to be approx 1 inch  fishermans keep net or landing net possibly get 2nd hand on the flea bay . most people do with fruit bag or table tennis net.

Frank.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba

I have some black knotted netting left over when the pest control were trying to stop birds getting in to some of our buildings.
It's about 3/4 inch mesh but it should do.
Couple of pics hopefully.
If you pm your details I will send you the required amount Just let me know how much 2ft by 2 ft or whatever.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

red181

• Full Mayhemer

that looks superb Ned! Cant tell you how many places I have looked, and the amount of things I have tried, wandering around haberdashery stores isnt really my thing! Table tennis net, good call Frank, didnt think of that one, great when minds come together! If anyone else has any ideas about this boat build please please chip in, especially the bits I have not got to, It would be nice to have a conversation about it,

will PM you Ned, bye the way, thanks for looking in, I was getting very lonely! <:(

Paul

red181

• Full Mayhemer

now that fittings are going on, I bought some time ago a set of white metal fittings, but didnt used them as I thought they wrer a bit heavy, some of the fittings where quite nice, some not so nice

I started the mast tonight, which will be made from Brass, its a bit of a job, making all the bits, then soldering together without the previous solder job getting hot again and unsoldering itself :embarrassed:
The mast pole will be hollow, so I can run the mast light wires through it, although on the real boat the wires where on the outside, I think it will look neater, and it has to fold down for storage purposes

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba

Hi Paul,
I popped some netting in the post for you this afternoon.
I think you should have enough,but if not, I have loads more.
Let me know if it is ok for the job.

Ned

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Paul

The mesh that comes around beef and pork joints looks quite good for scramble nets. It should stand up well to getting soaked too.
Plus you get a nice meal  O0

Dave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba

Need a big joint to supply two 18"x 18"  nets.
Plus if they smelt of blood the poor old airmen being picked up would be scrambling darned fast as the sharks smelled the meat {-) {-)

Ned

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

{-) - maybe just ask the butcher for some clean net straight off the roll - it must come in huge lengths.

Dave

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer

Sprouts (The Brussels variety) used to come from the wholesalers in black knotted 3/4" square mesh sacks. These had a waterproof waxey type coating. When the heavier seam was undone it gave a mesh panel of about 24" x 30". More freebies when the Veg markets emptied them.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

red181

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Ian, long time no speak! the places I have been for this net, now all these great ideas! Anything for a free meal Dave! speaking of which, will see you soon, I think the Manor Farm does a nice dinner! :}

Anyway, the  net from Ned arrived today, its superb :-)) :-)), many thanks Ned, I dont even need to colour it, or wash it! even better than expected, I will reimburse you next week.

I'm off to the Midland Model Enfgineering show tomorrow, need to get some brass for the searchlight, milling cutter, as I have broke some more trying to make the mast leg mounts, so the mast will fold down

some springs (the loco boys have these!) to make the salvage hoses (second plan pic)

and no doubt some other bits and pieces!

red181

• Full Mayhemer

mast is now made, from brass, its has to fold down like the real boat so it fits in the storage and transportation box (remember the box at the beginning!)

I have used 10ba very small bolts, that need to be cut back now, but a problem will be that I need to remove the rear bolts to fold the mast, and then put the mast back up for use, I think my clumsy fingers will drop them when sailing at the lake, so maybe just use the rear bolts for show, and some sort of pins when the boat is getting used? The front bolts can stay in, as the mast will fold down with these in place, also, after all the work on the mast I dont want it falling off,. so any ideas welcome!! (a conversation would be nice :-) )

The bases for the mast legs were made together, and tapped for the bolts, even though they have nuts, I thought it might prevent them falling off!

red181

• Full Mayhemer

just now needs painting and wiring for the mast head light

red181

• Full Mayhemer

Major delay now, whilst starting to make the searchlight, the lathe jammed, and stripped the gears, I would like to think it wasnt my fault, I was turning very lightly!! :embarrassed:

I always seem to end up working in chaos!! :}

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

I always seem to end up working in chaos!

Chaos - a state of Dynamic Instability. Now that sounds much more creative O0

Dave

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer

did you manage to find springs to make up the hoses on the aft deck ? jon

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Paul

Reply 47 first picture - where did you find a picture of the controls? Have you any more? I have been looking for a while now.

Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Dave,

Peter has it, or if you give me an email address (ring me , PH has my number and email address) I can email it, better that way as you can then zoom in for all the fine detail ;)

Jon, I went to the recent midlands model engineering show, and picked a pair up a pair of springs from a model train parts supplier, my plan is use a wire coathanger inside the spring to retain the shape, and heatshrink over the spring thus giving the right effect for the hoses (not my idea I hasten to add! :D 

Paul

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"

Looking good. runs good  :-)) .

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

red181

• Full Mayhemer

finally a searchlight! This took a stupid amount of time to do, the lens is cut from some sort of plastic rod I was given ages ago, the nuts are small 10ba, and the bulb will be a 5mm LED  and a nice big m5 nut underneath to stop it falling off, dont want to make another one! %%

red181

• Full Mayhemer

better get on with it now there is another 48" Fireboat build, just like buses, nothing for years then two come along,  :} :}  it will be intereting to see how they both progress with different set ups etc :-))

So, some small bits and pieces are now done, and the biggest scratch built fittings so far are almost finished, the fire monitors, not like the commercially available ones that all these boats have, I wanted the original first version, these are not available to buy, so had to make them.

red181

• Full Mayhemer

I dont intend to lose them in the lake, so a M5 nut will hold them on to the boat!, some finishing is still required, just cant decide on the colour, I doubt the RAF painted them bright red like all the models of this boat (my 36" version also!) I was thinking they are grey, I have asked on the Fireboat website, but no answers yet, any opinions gladly welcome, have a look at the picture... 

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer

Maybe we should have our own "FireBoat" meet next year... :-))

The monitors certainly look the part, and make sure they are well and truly bolted down, big shame to lose them after the work thats gone into them.

Mike

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Maybe we should have our own "FireBoat" meet next year.

Now that might just force me to get my RTTL working at long last.
It came fitted with a blue Chinese esc so maybe it will become a Fireboat on the day  %%

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.