Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Tugboat PRESTON build  (Read 29025 times)

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tugboat PRESTON build
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 11:32:43 pm »

gday phill,
 im not that far from you , near port fairy ,Vic Australia .my tug is 800mm+270mm beam , but under propped ,at 55 mm 4 bladed ,you need a large prop on this tug , 65-80mm, i would suggest t/belt g/box+a jaycar 700 , ratio 3:1,its hard out here to get decent motors ,i can supply more info .
my plan came from RC Boat Modeller 1998 , Denise C , there is a plan , magazine size .
i find it interesting to find out this tug was a kit ,then turned up in a magazine as a plan feature , copy right ??there is a similar tug by dumas , i think ?
i can send snail; mail photos/info , but email at this end , no good ,lat photo took 2 days to down load !! OOPs.
 model is good , but it needs bigger prop or twin props +nozzle doesn't help steering in reverse .
im going to try a decaperm in mine , or brushless w g/box ,as i have a nozzle , major surgery to change prop size , its a good rough weather model , but under powered -current motor is a low rev, hi torque type , a little too low revs !!
regards bill s

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 12:22:10 am »

Hi Bill, I still have a couple of old copies of an American Mag that were advertising the Denise C, very similar, I was ready to go ahead and mold this hull but now that I've seen my friends 4 stroke trimmer motor I'm thinking of going a bit bigger and fitting one of those, no flat batteries, just a nice burble from the motor. Just have to convince the wife that I NEED to spend $299 on a brand new whipper snipper just to pull it to bits.
Phill

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 02:13:07 am »

gday phill,
bit of over kill, isn't it , the brush-cutter !! plenty of stick , but how do you back out of trouble ?? you would really be able to water ski behind it !!
mate did a 1200mm perkasa w same power plant ,3 screws ,35+mph on water !!
another mate is building a train g/box that reverses ,to hook up to brushcutter ,he has go -fasts ,so spare motors , to power tug 1100mm+
another way is to fit separate shaft ,to electric motor ,to reverse model , or fit above shaft w one way bearing ,just for reverse .
 personally ,i would go w 75mm ;prop+3:1 g/box, a good heavy weather model +heaps of duration,and are there noise issues at your lake ??
seems to be popping up every-where else .
good luck , keep us posted
regards bills 

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 03:38:39 am »

Common sense (the wife) will prevail on this one I think, reverse gear wouldn't be a huge problem.....we have the technology and noise is no problem at all here, and if it becomes a problem my inlaws have a 33 acre private dam (one of five on the property).
There are a couple of videos on you tube of a guy with a 4 stroke tug towing himself around on a kayak.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 04:42:25 am »

the good thing about this hobby is , we can choose how big , or small we make our models .
i prefer something about 1000mm loa, that 1 bloke can pick up and carry to the water ,as i started sailing mainly by my-self ,and at this size ,it can still handle heavy weather .
to build something as big as what i think you want to ,you will have to be able to get it in the water ,so , i gather you can launch from a beach or boat ramp ??half your luck
were there`s a will ,there`s a away
most of my current models are done to 1/32 , not to big , not too small .
good luck , its a good design ,a nice dry model     bill s

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 04:48:11 am »

Have you by any chance seen my Abeille Liberte build here on Mayhem? now theres  a boat that's gonna need its own trailer. 8)
Phill

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 04:52:55 am »

Heres a pic of the local public spot (taken at our Australia day demonstration)

Isaac Asimov

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 05:38:39 am »

gday phill,
 no i havent seen your other model , i gather you like them big ?? only tassie club water i saw was in the bay area of your capital , and it was by photo only , i havent being lucky enough to visit
you club water looks great+you have a big model launch ramp, oops , boat ramp ??
big model of mine is a 6.5 ft top hat hull , blue leopard ketch yacht , but i mainly do stand off scale electric , moving onto some steam , not a lot of good big model water in w/bool , most ponds have weed issues , or decorate trees ,so i tend to do 750-1000mm models .
 we have a small social club , approx. 5 members currently , but we started w 2 , so i cant say we arnt going well , but no hobby shop now , so its hard to attract members
around some-were there is a ME club w a 12-14 ft paddle steamer , i think down your way ?? that do rides for kids and kids at heart
regards bill s

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 11:26:01 am »

Its funny, we have a sort of unofficial club up this end of the state and then theres us, just a group of mates that get together whenever we can, trying to avoid club politics and all that garbage. The club down south are more organized and official but with that goes all the in fighting I'm afraid, I only really catch up with them at the wooden boat festival once every 2 years.
Oh and we definitely have better spots to sail up this end :-))
Phill

Isaac Asimov

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 12:26:14 pm »

gday phill,
 our club is set up the same way as geelong , no fees ,no meetings , its all done at the lake , just a social avo sailing .
we have being forced to pay insurance to exhibit , but im the only one who does , the others don't bother to exhibit , government issue , a pity ,as it has forced a lot away from exhibits. weed is also a issue , most man made lakes don't bother to stop it .
we just go down to have fun , play w our boats and help others get theirs going , works out well, as 1 bloke repairs caravans ,another is a ex teacher of fitting and turning ,and another a steam nut ,so between us all we can help .
we send the yachts to 1 end ,scale to the other ,and any go-fasts out in another direction ,all works well .
regards bill s

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 09:38:37 pm »

gday phill,
 when and were do you sail ??
we sail secound sunday of the month , 2-2.30 pm ,sometimes later on hot days ,at lake pertobe warrnambool Vic.
regards bill s

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 07:08:21 am »

There is a group that sail at Penguin on Saturdays between 1 and when the batteries go flat, I sail there when I get a chance but with a young family its a case of throw em in when you can, my inlaws dam is at Sassafrass and our other spot is Bells Parade at Latrobe which is where we run our Australia day display, a brilliant spot but tidal.
Phill

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 05:57:56 am »

It's been a while but I have finally started molding the Preston hull.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 05:58:51 am »

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 06:00:36 am »

Isaac Asimov

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 06:48:47 am »

Great Work Phil

Nice to see you back on this project  :-))

Jason

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 07:59:59 am »

Thanks Jason, I have been putting off sailing lately as most of my models are so big so I hope this one will be easyer to chuck in the car and go.

Phill
Isaac Asimov

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2014, 12:13:20 am »

You make it look so easy, you also make it look good too.
Great work  Phil.

Cheers  Ian
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 11:38:45 am »

Thanks Ian, here's a shot of the mold bolted together and a coat of gel coat sprayed in, shows her shape very nicely I think.

Isaac Asimov

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
New OZ Work Bench?
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2014, 11:22:30 pm »

Phil.......is this your contribution to the OZ invention of 2014?

A work bench made from a Ford Falcon utility tail gate?........... {-) ...Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2014, 12:14:20 am »

Nice one Derek  :-)) I inherited that ute 12 months ago and I really don't know how I ever lived without it, there's quite a slope at the back there and it puts the tailgate at the perfect working height, Its never cluttered when you need a bench in a hurry (cause its folded up) I can now take all my boats sailing, pull up at the waters edge and it makes a perfect seat, my dad sets up his drop saw on it for cutting firewood and at the end of the day you just hose it off and fold it back up..........although I did notice that the brace on the left is down to its last two strands of steel wire.

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 12:17:20 pm »

I have had to break a personal rule today, I have always sworn that I would not bother making my own propellers but sadly after blowing my budget for this build on Hobbyking last night (curse you Hobbyking) I am going to have to give it a go.
I took the design for a full size blade in CAD and then laser engraved the shape into 1.5mm brass, my laser doesn't cut metal but using a special compound I can leave a permanent black mark that can only be removed by grinding.

A really bad photo but here are the lasered in marks.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 12:19:37 pm »

A quick go with a thin cutting wheel in the grinder.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 12:22:33 pm »

A bit of a clean up and a tap with the hammer over a former.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 04:34:46 am »

So today I cut and indexing ring to fit on my lathe, used the tool post as a guide for the hacksaw and machines the boss.

Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 23 queries.