Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage Model Power Boat Club - UK  (Read 12099 times)

froggyt996

• Full Mayhemer
Vintage Model Power Boat Club - UK
« on: September 01, 2012, 03:09:48 pm »

The main focus of the club is about older models of boats which are powered in any form such as some early models were Rubber, Steam and Clockwork and later on they where Glow, Diesel, Petrol and Electric.  Our goal is to get together with other like minded modellers and help the models of yesteryear to continue to be enjoyed and to keep these models alive.
We are a group of people who meet at some shows and events to get together with our models and have a bit of fun.  You do not have to attend meetings that other members do, although it would be good to see your boats on the water or on our club stand.  Members in the different regions of the UK could arrange to meet at meetings/shows in their own region.
We do not have any club water as most of us are in other model boat clubs.   Anyone can join this club, all we ask is that you have insurance of some sort which covers you at meetings/shows and we also would like you to send us photos of your model and a description of it for the club website.

The Models

The models should be scratch built from a plan or built from a kit or a model that has been ready built by a manufacturer of the
vintage type of model which is no later than 1980. If it’s a kit, scratch built or restored after the above date this will be ok but it
must be the type of model which would have been or still is powered.  We are also happy to have models that are from
reproduction kits of pre 1980 models.

Please visit our webiste at www.vintagemodelpowerboatclub.co.uk or email vintagepowermbc@virginmedia.com

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vintage Model Power Boat Club - UK
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 04:50:22 pm »

Just curious how would you feel about pre 1980 boats that had been reconfigured?

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 05:14:36 pm »

And do they have to have period motors in them and do you frown upon modernday Brushless motors which actually allow the boat to do what it was intended to do and not just potter around a lake totally underpowered

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 06:45:30 pm »

Actually I've seen this website under construction of late and thought what a great idea it could be if it all works out, so I wish you luck with your venture as I have a real nostalgic interest in these types of boats and I know that there is still a great deal of interest in these old models.

One word of advice though and I speak as someone who has been involved with the design of, and ownership of, websites for a long time, and that is it may be better to get a proper custom made website, rather than one of these templated systems that really won't do you much of a favour as a club. They are difficult to navigate, too generic to specifically address your requirements and in the long run it may be better to do the job properly, rather than have to re-do the whole site again further down the road.

Having said that, I do wish you well and I shall no doubt get involved  at some stage ....  :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:05:50 pm »

what a great idea it could be if it all works out, so I wish you luck with your venture as I have a real nostalgic interest in these types of boats and I know that there is still a great deal of interest in these old models.

I wish I'd said that too -  :-))

Dave

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 08:18:15 pm »

The models should be scratch built from a plan or built from a kit or a model that has been ready built by a manufacturer of the
vintage type of model which is no later than 1980. If it’s a kit, scratch built or restored after the above date this will be ok but it
must be the type of model which would have been or still is powered.  We are also happy to have models that are from
reproduction kits of pre 1980 models.

I suppose that would include the KK EeZeBilt boats! :D :D

But I looked, and couldn't find a link to the EeZeBilt website...    <:( <:(

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:09:40 pm »

No worries Dodgy,
its there bottom left on the LINKs page.
just checked it and it took me straight to your Eezebilt home page
cool
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

froggyt996

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 10:23:23 pm »

Hi Norseman - what do you mean when you say reconfigured?

Stavros - if you have a look at the video's you'll see that some of us run modern engines and also brushless motors.  Its the actual boats that we try to keep to the period.

Artismike - your comments are noted but we have no club funds so try to make the best of what is out there for us to use.

Dodgy Geezer - after seeing your post, I added the link as requested.  If you look in the links page, there is an email tab.  If anybody wishes to make suggestions as to what links they feel might be useful/informative, please feel free to email us with those suggestions.

Vnkiwi - thanks for your observations.

Regards,

Gray

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:56:44 pm »

Hi Gray

I have an old boat though it certainly isn't a power boat. My first purchase was a 1950's Hales Spraymaster but after a while I really came to dislike the layout; two cockpits and two hatches. I decided to have no forward hatch and cover the rear hatch/cockpit with a sunbed area. Not finished yet but coming along. Now it occurred to me that there will be other reconfigured boats about........ hence my question. It was just a boat to learn on and with a fair bit of local help it was a good introduction to modelling.

Dave

Her in doors

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 11:27:44 pm »

Hi Norseman

Yes thats absolutely fine.  I am a member and have a modified Aerokits Sea Hornet with a modified back hatch so that it can take 8.4v NMHI!  :-)

Regards, 

Her in doors

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 11:38:32 pm »

Dodgy Geezer - after seeing your post, I added the link as requested.  If you look in the links page, there is an email tab.  If anybody wishes to make suggestions as to what links they feel might be useful/informative, please feel free to email us with those suggestions.

:-)) :-))    O0 %% O0

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 07:35:48 am »

It will be great having all this information in one place. I feel that these types of boats are still one of the best introductions for newcomers to the hobby and whether scratch-building from plans of boats like the EeZeBuilt  range, or making one of the revised kits of the type that the Vintage Model Boat Company have brought out, the basic techniques learnt in making one of them will stand any starter in good stead. .. 

More importantly they are also huge amounts of fun !  If we want to encourage new youngsters to join in, it's precisely these sorts of boats that make the whole hobby more accessible to them.  So rather than just an anachronism, I feel that these boats are still hugely relevant today and deserve all the promotion they can get.  :-)

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 09:46:22 am »

It will be great having all this information in one place...

...  So rather than just an anachronism, I feel that these boats are still hugely relevant today and deserve all the promotion they can get.  :-)

I still have an aim of collecting as many old boat plans as I can and putting them up on the web in the same way that the fly-boys do with theirs. Contributions gratefully accepted....

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 10:42:45 am »

Any one going to the boat show at Branston Park this Sunday?
Regards
olly4950

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:03:24 am »

I have a quite a few photos, I'll dig some out for you.

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

froggyt996

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 11:09:32 am »

Thanks martin that will be grate i will see you at warwick and yes i will be at Branston Olly

Gray

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 07:10:23 pm »

well I signed up, and got a response with a copy and paste of the first post by froggy, and same on the website, no "hello" or anything!

I just wanted to know what happens other than photos, is there a discussion forum, any other info, etc etc or is it just photos? Its a nice idea, but what happens after you sign up? have I missed something?

thanks

froggyt996

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 01:49:19 pm »

hi red

At this minute in time the site is growing we are trying to build a site with info but it will take time at this time if people join all we ask is you send  a selection of photos of your models and we will a them to the site THERE IS NO FEE .
We will in the near future be setting up a webpage for shows that we will be going to.
 So if you’re going to a show near to you, let us know and we’ll add it to the website. 
Hopefully then others that want to go to the same show will now about it, you can all contact each other and arrange to meet etc by the forum.  All we ask is that you have your own insurance so that if you run your models you are appropriately insured. only today VMPBC have just started to setup a forum. For club members that anyone can join and swap info.

Graham

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 10:54:12 pm »

thanks Graham :-)) will send photos

Her in doors

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 03:14:38 pm »

Hi all

Just thought I'd mention that most of the founder members of this club will be at the Fireboat Funday/Vintage Model Boat Day at Branston Water Park, Burton on Trent tomorrow.  Its just off the A38.

If you're going we'll see you there!

Regards,

Her in doors     :-))

froggyt996

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 07:57:33 am »

Hi all

let me try and make the joining part a bit clearer for all as there been a lot of questions about it.

Can I put your mind at rest all of you, we are not asking you for your details. All we are asking for when you join is for your name and photo's of your boats. We ask that you have your own insurance for when you go to show/meetings but we are not asking to see your insurance details but that you confirm that you have insurance as the club does not provide insurance. There is no joining fee. We are setting up a members page where we will put a photo of you with one of your boats. We are also trying to set up a forum so you can post whatever you like and keep in contact with other members about shows etc that you are attending. Our aim is to keep vintage boats alive and give members somewhere to exchange information etc all in one place. If you do not already have insurance you can get insurance by joining the BMPRS for £10.00, the MPBA for a similar sum, the BMFA for £16.00 for non-flying insurance and various other places. If you are going to the Funday at Burton, you can have a word with me there.

The email box that pops up is for you to complete which will then email us to the clubs email address.

Regards,

Gray

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 10:50:03 am »

Hi all

let me try and make the joining part a bit clearer for all as there been a lot of questions about it.

Can I put your mind at rest all of you, we are not asking you for your details. All we are asking for when you join is for your name and photo's of your boats. We ask that you have your own insurance for when you go to show/meetings but we are not asking to see your insurance details but that you confirm that you have insurance as the club does not provide insurance. There is no joining fee. We are setting up a members page where we will put a photo of you with one of your boats. We are also trying to set up a forum so you can post whatever you like and keep in contact with other members about shows etc that you are attending. Our aim is to keep vintage boats alive and give members somewhere to exchange information etc all in one place.

I am very much in agreement with your aims of keeping vintage boats alive and exchanging information on allied matters - I have run two web sites for several years in support of these aims, and am glad to see you linking to them.

However, I neither have nor want insurance, since the boat plans I produce are essentially toys. For that reason I appear to be unable to join your club...

Her in doors

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 04:23:09 pm »

Hi all

Just to let you know we have set up a forum on the website so please register if you're interested in this club and keeping these old model boats alive!

Regards,

Her in doors

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 12:20:19 am »

Great idea, have joined and posted a couple of pictures.   Having recently retired, I am digging out all of my boats from yesteryear with the intention of getting some of them back on the water.

Most likely first contender is the Gannet powered Screwdiver. I also have an Aerokits 46" Crash Tender which needs a quick refurb (if ther is such a thing after 25 years of storage) and a re-engine.  Thinking about the spare Gannet I have, don't think it should be too powerful

Her in doors

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 02:25:01 pm »

Hi Spearfish

Nice to see your photo's.  Just to let you all know that King Lear Model Boat Club will be hosting the Fireboat Funday/ Vintage Model Boat Day on Sunday 8th September 2013.  For more information see www.kinglearmodelboatclub.co.uk or contact kinglearmbc@ntlworld.com.

Regards,

Her in doors.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.