Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: aircraft carriers  (Read 2229 times)

mickyrubble

• Full Mayhemer
aircraft carriers
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:47 pm »

Hi,
 i was asked today why do aircraft carriers which have a superstructure 'usually' have it on the starboard ,is there some some practical reason or is it some other reason.
Mickyrubble

emlra

• Full Mayhemer
Re: aircraft carriers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:27:37 pm »

Pilots are difficult to train......the Naafi queue always starts on the left, when landing they land to the left of the island,
\the aisland is offset to the right/Starboard side of the ship for a number of reasons.
1/ less turbulence over the deck with an offset Island,
2/ If it was in the middle some WAFU might try to move it with his expensive airyplane (Not so bad, but airyplanes these days are more expensive than Pilots)
3/ If it was on the right/Port side it would confuse the Pilots and it already takes a long time to teach them L Left from R Right, and we can't afford to confuse them!  The L and R on the flying gloves matches the L and R on the boots (Apparently underwear comes from C&A and the label says Front and Back.)

{-)

Rex
Yer Tiz!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:14:00 pm »

It's because we drive on the left, and we thought of them first.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 01:04:03 pm »

Pilots are difficult to train......the Naafi queue always starts on the left, when landing they land to the left of the island,
\the aisland is offset to the right/Starboard side of the ship for a number of reasons.
1/ less turbulence over the deck with an offset Island,
2/ If it was in the middle some WAFU might try to move it with his expensive airyplane (Not so bad, but airyplanes these days are more expensive than Pilots)
3/ If it was on the right/Port side it would confuse the Pilots and it already takes a long time to teach them L Left from R Right, and we can't afford to confuse them!  The L and R on the flying gloves matches the L and R on the boots (Apparently underwear comes from C&A and the label says Front and Back.)

Rex   {-)

This sounds like someone who worked at Bath, designing the fleet...
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 02:36:59 pm »

Hi,
 i was asked today why do aircraft carriers which have a superstructure 'usually' have it on the starboard ,is there some some practical reason or is it some other reason.
Mickyrubble

On a more serious note Mickeyrubble, there is a definitive answer.

Whilst I had a good chuckle at some of the previous answers (especially emira's offering), the answer is relatively simple.

In the days of propeller driven carrier borne aircraft it was found that most aircraft that landed with difficulty would naturally veer off to the port side, primarily because of the rotational direction of their propellers.

Because of this inherent bias, and quite simply because of this, the Royal Navy decided that in future all islands on the flight deck of RN carriers would be built on the starboard side.

Most other nations decided to follow this example, the Royal Navy being the leader in this technology for some time.

Having worked on the flight deck of a fully operational fixed wing strike carrier in the early sixties, I can tell you that it is one of the most dangerous places to work on earth. O0

Yarpie.

(And thanks for the highly amusing anecdotes guys, loved them). :-))

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 02:56:16 pm »

Yarpie is of course right, though it was not so much propeller rotation as the tremendous torque effect of rotary engines that caused early aircraft to veer to the left. The initial experiments with HMS Furious left the island in the middle with separate take off and landing decks separated by it. Trawling through the memory banks, I think the Japanese built at least one with the island on the left, and I've a horrible feeling that there was even one with an island on either side.

Propeller or propellor? I'm in Oz and trying to cope with an American keyboard and spell checker. Not that I would ever admit to nededing the latter...
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:42:17 pm »

Not that I would ever admit to nededing the latter...

No, I've never nededed one either ...... %)
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 04:01:52 pm »

....coarse knot .........  %)

Hoo nedes spool chucker eh?    :embarrassed: :D %) %% {-) O0

Yarpie.

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:26:15 pm »

The Japanese did build two carriers with an island on the port side AKAGI was one the other was HIRYU, this was probably demanded by the routing of funnel uptakes over the starboard side and thus keep smoke and fumes from the Island.

Did you know that the US had two paddle driven carriers, USS Wolverine and USS Sable? These were converted as training carriers from Great Lake steamers. they did not see action.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 01:33:12 am »

...that there was even one with an island on either side.

HMS Argus, as originally converted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Argus_(I49)
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 12:34:06 pm »

Yarpie is of course right, though it was not so much propeller rotation as the tremendous torque effect of rotary engines that caused early aircraft to veer to the left. The initial experiments with HMS Furious left the island in the middle with separate take off and landing decks separated by it. Trawling through the memory banks, I think the Japanese built at least one with the island on the left, and I've a horrible feeling that there was even one with an island on either side.

Propeller or propellor? I'm in Oz and trying to cope with an American keyboard and spell checker. Not that I would ever admit to nededing the latter...

Jonty,

Your location, Gods country correct for OZ but yorkshire {:-{ {:-{ {:-{
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.