Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie :)  (Read 2166 times)

PaulW

• Shipmate
Hi from a newbie :)
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:55:57 pm »

Hi all, definite newbie here!  :-)

I'll start with a story . . .

Once upon a time . . . about 14 years ago (I think!), a gadget obsessed teenager decided that he absolutely 'must have' a radio controlled boat. After much begging, his parents decided to purchase one for Christmas (Built by the model shop). It was a nice speedboat with an IC Engine. Unfortunately due to a mixture of him being a teenager and it being more technical than just turning it on and away you go, it did no more than an hour on the water before being flushed, cleaned and stored in the loft.

Fast forward roughly 14 years and the gadget obsessed teenager has turned into a gadget obsessed 30 year old who happened to be helping his parents clean out their loft the other day and came across the aforementioned boat! It is now sat in my spare room just begging to be used. There is however one problem . . . the gadget obsessed 30 year old has little more knowledge / experience than the gadget obsessed teenager!

After a bit of trawling on eBay, i have a glow starter, starter motor, glow plugs and batteries on the way. My biggest issue at the moment is that i don't know what fuel to buy for it or where to get it from (I live near Exeter in Devon). The engine has SC stamped on the side which i believe stands for Super Custom, but i have absolutely no idea what size it is. Is there an easy way to tell? I also have no idea about the model of the boat though i assumed it might be a seahawk titan. That's just a guess based on the decals, but my search on google didn't turn anything up.

I would love some suggestions as to how best to progress what i think could be a new and interesting hobby for me!   :-))

The boat has the following dimensions:

• Length : 970mm
  • LOA : 1050mm
  • Beam : 270mm
  • Height of Hull : 170mm
  • Prop Diameter : 45mm (ish)

I have included some pics below showing the boat, apologies for the quality / composition! :)

I look forward to chatting and spending time on the forum.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help,

Paul  :-)

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hi from a newbie :)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:43:24 pm »

welcome aboard  :-))

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:01:39 pm »

Welcome I can put you out of your misery so to speak and Identify your boat it was made by MFA a company which produces Model motors and is in fact a MFA Avenger/Se hawk you could build both boats depending on which transfers you used.It was available in 2 guises one used a MFA 850 electric motor and the other is th motor you have got.

One thing you will have to find out is if a Lake near you allows Petrol type engines a s a lot of clubs have banned them and wont allow them on their waters.Two of the best guys to contact on here is a member called SCOOP or Bill 203 Both are extremely experienced with petrol motors.
All is NOT lost if you cat find a lake to sail on simply take out the Petrol engine and fit a 900 type electric motor water cool it and run it on 24v and she Will FLY.you will notice I haven't recommended the MFA850 motor simply because the 900 is far more efficient and not so power hungry.

Dave

PaulW

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:27:26 am »

Hi guys thanks for the welcome  :-)

Thanks for the info Dave, good to know what she is  :-)) I was planning on running her in the local harbour / sea where i currently launch my 1:1 scale boat  so hopefully shouldn't be an issue with them being banned. I would like to stick with the petrol motor at the moment, if for no other reason than it was what i wanted as a kid and would like to give her a fair crack of the whip as she is  :-)

Cheers,

Paul

PaulW

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:10:13 pm »

Can anyone tell me what size engine this is likely to be and what fuel mixture i should be using with it?

Many Thanks,

Paul

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 05:16:16 pm »

hi bud by the looks of it the engine will be around 7cc there will be a number on the side of the barrel under the water cooling jacket should be 40 or 45 i would run it on 10 percent nitro

PaulW

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:07:39 pm »

That's great, thank you very much.

Cheers,

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.