Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lanzhou Class Chinese Destroyers  (Read 29382 times)

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lanzhou Class Chinese Destroyers
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 05:49:32 am »

Found your ship! It does exist (imagine that). Don't know the name yet but it showed up while I was researching my newly arrived Trumpeter Tong Ling, Type 053H2G (NATO codename Jiangwei I)...

The lines are unmistakable. It is number 4 from the top and appears to have the hull number 568 which doesn't match your model and makes identification difficult. Looks like she has a sister ship in hull number 569, same picture, but she has a slightly different bow.

The pic has this accompanying text: "Five PLA ships are conducting drills east of Taiwan, a show of force that is unlikely to go unnoticed in both Taiwan and the Philippines

The Ministry of National Defense is paying close attention to ongoing maneuvers southeast of Taiwan by a fleet of Chinese navy vessels that includes one of the heaviest combat ships in the People’s Liberation Army Navy.

According to Japanese media, the Japan Self-Defense Forces first spotted the group of five Chinese vessels 650km southwest of Okinawa on Sunday.

The five vessels from the Chinese navy’s South Sea Fleet — Type 052B destroyers Guangzhou and Wuhan; Type 054A frigates Yulin and Chaohu; and Type 071 landing platform dock (LPD) Kunlun Shan — left from Hainan Island and reportedly entered the Taiwan Strait before making a right turn about 180km off Taiwan. At 18,000 tonnes, the Kunlun Shan is one of the largest combat vessels in the Chinese navy."  

Sorry, but blue is reserved for moderators

ken

~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 05:53:41 am »

Article here: http://fareasternpotato.blogspot.kr/2012/05/taiwan-monitors-chinese-naval-moves.html

This is just more of the same routine "saber rattling" that China conducts, much to the dismay of Taiwan...

I'll let you come up with the identity of your vessel.  ;)

Also, if I would just examine your photos more closely, I'd see that Japanese PT boat right on your workbench.  %)
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 06:29:24 am »

These pictures are terrific and gives me something to work with, many thanks.
Yes PT boat nearly finished just got to fit wire to stanchions I replaced. Found that Aircraft carrier that looks like Kiev class, do with a complete overhaul of paint, new squadrons of trumpeter Soviet aircraft and proper ballasting plus correct radio gear I think she will scrub up alright.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 11:18:28 am »

Looks like I am back in business with the big computer. I replaced a part of the Motherboard and she seems to have fired up aok.
So lets see if we can get you some pictures of this model and how she looks.

This is what happened on day one. Since then as I said I have only removed the chrome railings and turned off the Red Dome light which was designed to let you know power was coming to the ship. I have done nothing else as yet. But I am keeping the Vector drive and will work something out5 for better control of the speed of the ship. Then again for Harquebus I might enter it into the Fast Electric Hydro class how about that?
Hope this turns out aok.
Charles O0

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »

The red dome light doesn't appear as if it belongs there; it's not masquerading as radar dome or anything. Yes, those ugly chrome railings have to go, you were wise. If this is close in scale to 1/200, you could obtain some photo etch railings in that scale and it would do this model justice.

I identify this model (it changes from toy to model after mods) as a Type 054A (NATO codename Jiangkai II) Frigate. There are some 15 ships in the class with more being planned. Pretty fascinating stuff and it is gratifying that the manufacturer of these "toys" has chosen to closely imitate the real thing with most everything they have made.

I'd like to see a single or twin rudder setup, I do not really see a lack of room here. Use a micro servo and set up linkages for twin rudders if possible. Anyway, fine work. I am living vicariously through your hobby here... :-))
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 01:26:50 pm »

~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 02:19:20 pm »

Okay Harquebus your wish is your command a twin rudder system on the Lanzhou will be attempted.
While we are on the subject of the various so called Toy chinese ships here are the photos of my little collection all being worked on.
I must admit they do make presentable models when finished correctly. Only one missing is the Bismarck which is in the shed and I think they have made one called the Yamamoto which I have not got.

More work needed on all but will get there eventually. Now how many ships is that I am doing???? Will keep me occuppied for months. ;)
I like the drawing Harquebus a Jiankai class eh sounds groovy.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 02:52:24 pm »

But it's not the Lanzhou.  >>:-( It is a Jiangkai II class frigate. You get to pick the name of yours out of 15 or so variants...  :-) :-) :-)

Okay Harquebus your wish is your command a twin rudder system on the Lanzhou will be attempted.
While we are on the subject of the various so called Toy chinese ships here are the photos of my little collection all being worked on.
I must admit they do make presentable models when finished correctly. Only one missing is the Bismarck which is in the shed and I think they have made one called the Yamamoto which I have not got.

~Harq

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 10:16:38 pm »

Not sure if is just the images or my eyesight  {:-{ ...but they do not seem to have a Chinese version of a Rayathon Phalax CIWS......[gattling gun] ........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 11:51:28 pm »

These are just suggestions Armo61, and you know that. There's no pressure here but I guess I am just challenging your way of thinking.

Do what you like. But maybe my suggestions are keeping you well occupied, wouldn't want you to speed through all these conversions and have none left to do.  <:(

~Harq

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 12:43:32 am »

i have twin rudders in my Sovremenny conversion and she can actually steer astern , i did use a micro metal geared servo for a 450 size heli tho  :-))

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 07:55:49 am »

Harquebus, you are not swaying me in any direction haha I am enjoying the information you are supplying for my build it's great and that last picture is Wow a close up even of correct paint and the ship itself.

Here is the start of the R/C conversion as with ESC. I found a Brand new 2 channel am 27meg radio with Tx so I have decided to use that as all my other radios etc are in the fletcher. Nimitz thats the 4 channel digi stuff. So this will do for our new Chinese Jiangkai II class ok.

You will also see Twin rudders in the picture going to be fitted to her also Yeah man haha.

Now I believe this to be M3 for the Props so I will have to use Raboesch sorry if spelling incorrect anyone help with size of dia/pitch please?

I will attempt to fit the rudders directly behind the props as per normal tonight then to work out the linkages.

What the dfevil is a Russkie dong in the pikkies? A Sovremenny patroling around to see whats going on,   KGB?

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 02:03:05 pm »

Righto work done for tonight. Twin rudders installed and just waiting for everything glue wise to settle down before the Servo is put in place.

Lots of holes to be filled in on this ship before any serious work can commence on above decks. Plus a hole at the Stern which they designed to let water act as ballast. you will see how I have started to set the ballast each side of the receiver and also the battery should act as a balance point at the bow area.
to be continued.

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 03:59:08 pm »

Not sure if is just the images or my eyesight  {:-{ ...but they do not seem to have a Chinese version of a Rayathon Phalax CIWS......[gattling gun] ........Derek

There is a Chinese CIWS with a 30mm Gatling like the Dutch Goalkeeper system, link to photo -

http://www.defencetalk.com/pictures/chinese-navy-other/p7957-chinese-730-ciws.html

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 05:38:16 pm »

Bravo, sir. You work fast and your work is an inspiration. You're sort of a pioneer in this "field", I see no one else doing quite what you're doing. The rudders and linkages look first rate. Amazing work.  :o

I like what Stormbringer said though, steering in reverse. His rudders must be quite effective.
~Harq

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 09:13:08 pm »

Thanks Niall.......I see it in #33 now....I was looking for a Rayathon look a like..... %% ...Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 12:23:01 am »

Looking at the larger, it seems I will to take off and add bits and pieces in various parts of the ship. Luckily I just might have some parts to do the trick, we will find out soon enough. Will do some more work today.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 12:29:44 pm »

Today I decided not to do the servo but to let it go on the Rudder side for a couple of days to ensure good and secure fitment. I tested the setup tonight and moves beautifully and freely so should be no problems that end. I tested the Motors, Gearboxes and Esc with radio set up and running just nicely, so when Rudder servo is set up and that hole in the stern filled she should be ready to be tested for performance, but I feel sure she will be aok.

I spent most of this afternoon cutting, pulling and filing of various parts of the ship also placing parts in what I feel ,guided by Harquebus's picture, on where the parts should be placed correctly and not in a jumble as they appeared to be.

I resized the front Radar screen as to the correct sizing and moved most of the top deck stern fittings into correct places.

I also attached correct size Antennas being equipped with both long and sshort and this really is setting the ship off.

I resizes other fittings including spotlights as they appeared to tall for where they were to be actually fitted.

I cut out most of the inner body work which I had to do carefully due to the thiness of materials as you start to get near to where it fits onto the hull.
This has to be filed nicely tomorrow but its not too bad for neatness now. I would say this took a lot of weight off the ship as it included the battery box, the radio box and inner decking.

Pictures so far.

So a good days work and now will have a wee restie. I believe it will start to be more of the cosmetic work left to do as I cannot fit anymore fittings that I can see as there are not much fittings on the real ship compared say to a Fletcher etc.

Hope you like her transformation so far, and when painted up correctly and with her numbering and chinese flags on display I feel she will be a well worth while sailing and display model.
More to follow as we progress. :-))

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 04:18:05 am »

Well everybody appears to be asleep or doing something else haha No problemos.

Ok, I have done everything on this here  Jiangkai II Destroyer now except for the deck railings which I am working on.

I have had to alter a few things to get her to ballast correctly but now she is fully sea worthy I believe.

I have tested all that needs to be tested and I am really pleased at how she worked out and how smoothly all is working in unison. She wanted to turn on a dime in the bath test

I did some more work on the upper decks again as I missed some details yesterday and now I believe I can do no more than wait until this paint arrives.

I have send them an Ultimatum this morning so should have either paint soon or Refund of monies.

I will say that these will be my last pictures of this build until painted.

Pictures of Jiangkai II numbered or will be 540 repeat 540.

I have enjoyed doing this to my new Jiangki II, and I hope perhaps I have influenced some other prospective modellers to give this conversion a go. She will not dissappoint  and turns out into a great Warship of today's modern era.

Thank you for comments, help and pictures, especially Harquebus, whose information was invaluable, and I hope we are doing him justice, him being a fan of the PLA ships.

But there is still more work to be done so we will be proceeding with deck railings tonight. I believe I have found a way to convert those ugly chrome thingies supplied with the ship into something which will fit in with my model.

Being a long way from any shops, and having to rely on the Internet plus the waiting time to get stuff, I guess you have to make do with what you have and I was not prepared to just throw away the supplied railings,so, let's see what we can do with them, I can always upgrade if needed at a later date.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 04:22:44 am »

Sorry that was the incorrect number of the ship. 530 it is 530 and not 540 my tricky fingers of fate again.

Lifeboat1

• Shipmate
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 10:36:49 pm »

Hi, just a quick response to Armo61. Re torpedo boat speed control. It has "tank" steering and no speed control. I did a quick and cheap conversion on a similar boat a Severn rtr lifeboat. Pods and no esc. I used the electronics from a 1/16 scale TANK. Very small, light and cheap. An rx 18 unit and a receiver board.Everything just plugs together and you also have changeable crystals. The main thing is you have speed control. This would probably also work for most tank steer type rtrs. Anyway it's cheap and worked perfectly for the rtr Severn. You would also probably use the tank type transmitter which gives you one stick control for everything. Hope I haven't stuck my nose in.
Regards.     

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2012, 12:08:53 am »

Great idea,
thanks Lifeboat I have a couple of tanks in various stages of being wrecked. Brilliant in fact I am working on a ship which we will try your idea. So we can utilize it as a vector drive and also use the tanks radio gear. Wonder what 2 Maybeck motors out of a tiger sound like Hmmm.
(
Thanks shipmate.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:25 am »

be wary of range with the tank gear the heng long kit has if your lucky about 30ish metres range

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2012, 12:18:25 am »

Aye I was thinking aboot that Stormbringer, the ship I use it on winna be gan too far lot.
It's Mae a big area I'll be testing her on onywy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.