Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lanzhou Class Chinese Destroyers  (Read 29372 times)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lanzhou Class Chinese Destroyers
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2012, 09:53:58 pm »

Opened Front Doors....... %%

>>:-( <*<....near the VTO missile pods, they would be water tight doors on deck level FWD :embarrassed:

They would only be open when ashore for some maintenance or stores function

Best plan is return them to a sealed condition for sea duty.......  :-))

Derek
Derek,

Maybe they mistranslated the English instructions. %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2012, 09:58:58 pm »

Hey Raarty looks like mistranslates the English?
I was born in Scotland haha

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2012, 02:43:41 am »

FINALLY  the paint has been sent from China along with the Missouri so perhaps we can get some ships finished off very soon especially this one.

I have ordered the railings for the Jiangki II and completed all the body work that I intend to do.
She is running very well now and is ready for her final fit of the  3 bar railings which will arrive next week and then her hole filling and final paint work thank goodness.

I used some of those lead weights I found at the tip and this balanced the ship nicely.

So shipmates, here are the finals before railings and paint job.

I have sets of numbers which are correct to size so I will just spray them black to match the ship as mine are all in white. No matter you won't notice at all.

Then it's just a matter of ordering the Chinese Flags/Pennants.

Ok Mates there you are4. Like Mr Davis let's get this paint job right and finally we can play. Funny, in the Pictures the US Navy is not far away, a bit of Counter Intelligence me thinks.  ok2

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2012, 06:58:39 am »

Apparently, this whole undertaking is a popular thing to do. Others in the country of origin have realized this RC ship is worthy of improvement. I don't read Chinese but online translators work pretty well. Just interesting to see how popular this conversion is...

For what it's worth: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1821179837

~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2012, 07:30:42 am »

Yes I see. They do not seem however to have the Armo61 conversion and also I think they are still fairly as per the Vector drive. But yes seems to have caught someones attention Harquebus it's good to see.

Lifeboat1

• Shipmate
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2012, 05:10:04 pm »

Hi Armo61,  re the railings. I got 1:200 scale railings from these people for my Sovremenny - www.model-dockyard.com/. I am however forgetting that you are in Australia and the postage and time factor may be a nuisance. The model looks great but the photo's supplied are really an excellent bonus for detail and colour scheme.
Regards

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2012, 12:54:26 pm »

No probs Lifeboat, thank you shipmate. I have sourced the railings from A modeler in 2 sizes being in the 1/350 and 1/200 just in case my sizings are incorrect they seems to have a terrific range of different thingies and when It comes to finishing off the Sovremenny I will go straight to White ensign for the serious Upgrade kit to get everything I need plus the gun turrets matey.
 :-))
What is happening with the Jiangki at this time.

When the model first arrived and thought it the Lanzhou class.

lots more to do yet but starting to look like the real deal now methinks.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2012, 07:02:41 pm »

its coming on mate  :-))

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2012, 02:35:07 am »

Hi Armo61,

How's your progress? I really like seeing your twin rudder setup; those rudders look like they belong there...  :-))

While we're discussing the stern area, were you going to replace the original "racing props" with something more scale like some brass props with three (or more) blades?
Seems Sinodefence.com had been down for a few days along with a source called JeffHead.com I hadn't been able to visit until now. The latter has some good photo references and a good comparison between the Jiangkai I & II variants and Sinodefence of course has the usual content.

http://www.sinodefence.com/navy/surface/type054a-jiangkai-ii.asp
http://www.jeffhead.com/TYPE054A/index.htm
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2012, 02:48:23 am »

Hi Harquebus
in answer to your question, I am a bit concerned really about the props. I do indeed want to go 3 blade brass however I Don,t know how these props are fitted. I thought they might be screw on but when I tried to remove them no joy they just turn and do nothing. There is no drive dogs either to fit props onto. I don't want to damage the shafts at all so I am thinking of what and how to do it? They are possibly glued on so I could cut them if I had to but, what would I find at the end of the shafts to work with.
I can only think of gluing if this the case, the brass props in place.
Armor.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2012, 03:14:58 am »

Well it had to be done, the props have been removed and I was correct. They have just pushed the plastic props onto the end of the shaft. The shaft has small serrated markings on the end of it for the prop to grip onto. No matter the shipyard will sort some modifications out. Right now let's get her paintwork done with the deck railings and then we shall really do her new props.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2012, 11:00:49 pm »

[b]VERY VERY UPSET [/b] this morning Shipmates,

I seem to have lost one of the Pods from the back of the ship, they look like rockets and I am sorry but I do not know the name of them but there is 1 each side of the dome on the rear top deck.

I have looked high and low for it and it must have dropped off recently as I am sure it was on yesterday. I think it has gone down the plug hole or the dog has eaten it again???

I do not know if they make etch kits for them or plastic kits to replace them so I am really peeved off.

With all the work I have put in so far I am even prepared to purchase a new ship just for the one part.

I do not know if I can attempt a mold of one as it is something I have never attempted or even have the first idea of doing.

The last place I have to check today is the Vacuum bag and keep my fingers crossed.

So if anyone does know of where one could obtain say a pair of them.

They are the square looking pods at the rear of the top deck near the Spotlights etc.

I did not glue them in place due to re positioning them and painting of the deck in the dark grey.

Any help on this would be  most helpful please.

Charles

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2012, 07:14:34 am »

Might be able to get out of it.

On Sept 19th Harquebus posted a picture of a variant using 4 AK632 guns mounted where these pods are

I have 4 of these types and could go that way. I think I will then as I am ordering another Jiangki I can keep her as per specs.

Charles.-(

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2012, 07:32:59 am »

Ok it is done. Had to move the CWIS forward a fraction towards the bow as per picture. Looks good, thank goodness for spare parts in your rubbish bin. Will keep the one pod now, you knever know. You will notice the difference. I have reworked and tidied up the CWS also.
Looks like a good glue will have to work on her new props also, but I will get it right. Will order those in M3 very soon.
Charles

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2012, 07:42:34 pm »

looking good so far Charles. I think losing one of those over sized chaff launchers and replacing them with guns is a stroke of genius it will look much better

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2012, 03:23:49 am »

Disaster strikes! But good recovery plan. The missing part I think you are speaking of is the Type 87 240mm ASW (anti-submarine) rocket launcher, 6 tubes typically. Pictures are very hard to find of this armament. It could be replicated with styrene rod and sheet if you had a mind to do it but it doesn't matter any more.

I am surprised you have some AK-630 to go in their place, where did you find some that were suitable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOlVcRns5dQ

Yes, it is firing so fast it sounds like a single blast from a shotgun.  :o
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2012, 03:43:23 am »

Thanks Harquebus,
I think they have been around in the use one day box for a while now and honestly cannot think of which ship they have come from ask have been given a few nobody wants also.
On looking at the picture you sent through, we might just get away with it I think. I will study the picture to see if any small mods are needed, but we are pretty close. I might have to shorten the barrel a wee bit and file to shape here and there, but the base is good.
I went out to water the garden and YES there was the missing part lying under a rose bush, a wee bit chewed but very salvageable. So we can go back to Original if I like, but I must admit the addition of the guns and the moving of the CWS forward gives her a different look.
I should be picking up the paint today or tomorrow and she is now all stripped down ready to go so I guess I shall have to make a decision on Variant of Original.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2012, 11:00:28 am »

Hello Shipmates, well the good news the paint arrived along with the Tamiya Kit 78018 USS Missouri but that will be another story and a long time away.

I believe that I am going to keep 530 as original as I might order another to fiddle with. I have enjoyed doing this so much that we can do the Variant at another time as there will be no hurry and plenty of time to do a good job.

This is her first coat of Light Grey except for the Hull which has had 2 coats hence her Numbering being put on.
I have to finish the black line and also the touch ups in black but petty stuff.
I am still waiting for Hull Red and Dark Sea Gray for her top decks, the body filler and the brass etch deck railings. They will be done at my final fit out.

I would say that you will definately notice the difference with positions of various onboard items being moved to their 'correct locations' and in the photographs you will see, stuff still to be added like the coloured antennas, spotlights etc.
This will be done after the Dark Sea Gray is applied to all her Upper Decks.

Harquebus I have enclosed pictures of the 4 guns, not clear sorry, but you will see what I mean re not much to make them ship shape if required.

The Helicopter pad is to be completely redone to correct specs and the new Heli added when it arrives, and I build it.

I wanted to ask,   Harquebus with your PLA models from Trumpeter what type of Heli did they supply??? if any???

Here so far then as at tonight is the PLA Class Jiangki II number 530 (Onwards we go).

O0

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2012, 06:23:09 am »

Hi Armo,

Both of these kits came with the same helicopter, The Harbin Z-9 (NATO reporting name "Haitun", Chinese: 海豚 for Dolphin). It is a license-built version of the French Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin.

But I believe, based on my research, that they carry either that or perhaps the more familiar Kamov Ka-27. The sources say either type of chopper. Kind of confusing.

~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2012, 07:05:20 am »

Good Harquebus tks I have the 27 coming so should be aol on mine then.

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2012, 09:54:55 am »

The Z-9C is a licence build copy of the French AS565 Panther not the Dauphin.

According to Flight International the Chinese navy had 8 KA28's and 19 Z-9C's in 2008. 4 of the KA28's are for the navy's Sovremenny class ships.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2012, 03:45:05 am »

I am not too keen on actually assembling the helicopter and placing it on the stern. I will leave it off and pretend it's snug in its hangar.  ok2
I figure if it's there it's more liable to be knocked off and lost. Also, if it is there, it's in the process of taking off or landing. They don't just park it there and leave it. Maybe I need to run a motor and some shafting from the hull up into the copter and attach it to the propeller. On cue from the transmitter, I can start the copter's "engine" and mimic a take-off.

For that matter, there are tiny micro R/C helicopters that can take off from the palm of your hand. I'll use one of those instead and call it a Ka-27. My, my, our advances in toy technology...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTlSSTTkqMw

Incidentally, I have found a source (Chinese again) that shows someone's conversion of the 1/200 Trumpeter Tongling (Jiangwei class frigate). The first pic shows two of them placed next to a 1/200 Sovremenny hull. It does show how toylike this particular model really is.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1805025150
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2012, 03:54:02 am »

Sounds like a lot of fiddling there.
I have a few of these little helicopters but I would have to try and use a scale body.
A real helicopter haha. I have plenty of gear to try.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2012, 05:08:58 am »

I was mainly being very, very sarcastic. I guess it didn't come across that way.

Needs more smilies...  %) ok2 %% :}
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2012, 05:27:47 am »

Which is the toy? Harquebus.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.