Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lanzhou Class Chinese Destroyers  (Read 29380 times)

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lanzhou Class Chinese Destroyers
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2012, 10:30:46 am »

Hello Shipmates,
I managed to fit in some work on the Jiangki II today after working on Nimitz for the last 3 days.
Paint arrived so I did some of the top decks in Extra Dark Sea Gray and the bottom of the Hull in Hull Red.
Filler and Hand Railings still not arrived so will be still at it.
Still have to order props.
Touch ups will be needed also.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2012, 05:31:34 pm »

looks a lot better now mate  :-))

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2012, 10:11:40 pm »

charles get on of those tiny choppers paint as the eurocopter in chink markings and have lots of fun

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2012, 08:06:27 am »

Hello Shipmates,

I have neared the end of this conversion and only work left to do now on my Jiangki is to touch up the Dark grey and Light grey paintwork. Paint to be ordered next week. I can see no further work required but some will say perhaps more, I am satisfied now with what I have done and do not feel the need to go into any other fittings just what I need for final completion which is just wee stuff.

I have fitted spare props I had, and at least I can  sail her until the 3 blade props come from England when I order them.

I said I had no experience in doing etch work etc so please forgive my work if some of you think it is a bit rough. I do not think it detracts from the look of the ship and the more experience I get I suppose haha I should get better (So they say).

Now it is time to enjoy what I have done and I will radio check her tonight to make sure and tomorrow she will be sailing. I am looking forward to it, seeing her on the water instead of seeing her on the Table. (Any one else ever thought like that on a build?)

I hope I have done this 'TOY' justice and that she now represents a decent working model of a PLA Warship. Oh I still have to order the Chinese flags also.

That is about it Shipmates and thank you all for your help and advice and especially Harquebus (The Phantom) ghost who pops up when required. A joke Harquebus.

Well here she is as of todays date here in Aussie Friday 19th October 2012.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2012, 12:51:57 pm »

It already has the counter-rotating rotors reminiscent of the Kamov Ka-27; I wonder if shortening the tail boom, adding fins and removing the fake tail rotor would harm the flight characteristics of this little RC chopper? You'd also possibly add wheels in place of the skids for more scale fidelity if that were feasible. Aside from that, it does appear more like a Z-9 and maybe all you need is some gray paint.  O0

Armo61, I am not sure what you are asking in regard to "which is the toy?" Sorry if I am not more helpful.

-Harq

charles get on of those tiny choppers paint as the eurocopter in chink markings and have lots of fun
~Harq

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2012, 02:53:23 pm »

As and aircraft engineer mate it would have massive consqences. You will have to ensure that the center of gravity doesn't shift or it will be uncontrollable

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2012, 03:56:15 pm »

Hello you two, Glen and Harquebus,
you said that the ships were toylike in your last posting Harquebus, I was just asking which ship did you mean as you mentioned a chinese build of a different ship.

I have tested all radio functions now and my ship is ready to go along with the Sovremenny which is still being worked on but can do with a run as I have refitted her with a 2.4ghz system and want to see how she performs. She can now move Astern which she could not before.

I guess I forgot to inform you re my other hobby long before I started building the ships. I have more????I enjoy this very much also so these are just some in the collection.

Harquebus you will see the little Dauphin wish it was smaller then I could carry out R/C flights from the ships.  She does take off and land with a bit of expertise on the Nimitz haha thats fun trying to land the wee beastie on her.

Ok so now you kno0w haha  :-))

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2012, 07:13:12 pm »

the ships are looking good mate  :-))
love your fleet of heli's as well , are you up to cp type helis yet ?

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jiangkai Class Chinese Destroyers
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2012, 10:57:53 am »

Ah, the toylike one was and is the Trumpeter Tongling, the one in the link I provided above. Since it was designed to be motorized they scaled back on the details and is therefore comparable to the exalted Lindberg Blue Devil...  :D

Well, that's not entirely true. Trumpeter in the early days made some godawful kits by today's standards and I think this is one of them. Trumpeter even has two versions of their Project 956 Sovremenny destroyer, a high level super-detailed one and a lower-end (and older) motorized version.

-Harq (The Phantom)
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2012, 03:07:49 pm »

Thanks Harquebus now I understand,
Yes gone and done it again have ordered the new PLA trumpeter aircraft carrier which is yet to be named and numbered, so with Missouri will keep me going now for many months i think.
Jiangki II 530 went full steam ahead today in the billabong and no problems. Only thing I would suggest if anyone is building the same ship to make sure she is watertight except of course to get entry into your radio stuff,  as she is low to the water line anyhow but apart from that Beaudy Mates.
We have a working DDG very pleased, now wait for final paint job and props as said and she is done.
Armo

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2012, 10:24:32 pm »

Armo61 ......I would be very interested in seeing some images of the DDG .....what scale is she?

Many years ago, a Techo @ GID built a 1:48 scale DDG however didn't interupt the plans correctly and had both prop shafts exiting the hull parallel to each other {:-{ ...when in real life no 2 turbine shaft exited the hull at a much sharper angle O0 .......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2012, 11:10:01 pm »

Derek,
I used 1/350 for the front railings and for the Helicopter pad 1/200.
I think they have modelled her closer to the 1/200 scale but could be wrong.
I guess have to get the size at 67cmthen real ship sizeand work out scale from there.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2012, 03:30:43 am »

Hello Stormbringer,
Thanks for your like of the ships.
Mate I have had an Align 450 a Hobbyking 450 and got rid of em both, not for lack of flying ability but of flying time. I really prefer the indoor stuff, no wind or weather worries and now some really great 2 blade 4 channel stuff is being introduced along with Scale bodies.
I can fly anytime I like with my small heliys which some can fly outside also if required.
So there you have it matey.
 O0

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2012, 12:03:08 pm »

Au contraire, mon capitaine! The ex-Varyag was officially named Liaoning after the province in China where she was retrofitted. If I obtained one of these kits, I'd prefer to model it as, not the Varyag, but as the Admiral Kuznetsov. I do so prefer the darker sea gray paint scheme the Russians use.

Thanks Harquebus now I understand,
Yes gone and done it again have ordered the new PLA trumpeter aircraft carrier which is yet to be named and numbered, so with Missouri will keep me going now for many months i think.
Jiangki II 530 went full steam ahead today in the billabong and no problems. Only thing I would suggest if anyone is building the same ship to make sure she is watertight except of course to get entry into your radio stuff,  as she is low to the water line anyhow but apart from that Beaudy Mates.
We have a working DDG very pleased, now wait for final paint job and props as said and she is done.
Armo

~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2012, 01:09:03 pm »

Yes a good suggestion Harquebus could be a possibility to go with my 755 Circumnavigate 956E Sovremenny class destroyer and the old Kiev class still being worked on, but plenty of time for all that.
Did the JiangkiII appear and appeal to you as it should? Please advise of any missing components within reason of my abilities of course haha.
Armo

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jiangkai II Class Chinese Frigate
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2012, 11:42:33 am »

Well, yes, you have good results on the Jiangkai II frigate. It looks right and I'm sure there can be more details added--but how far do you want to go?  :o :o

Basically the pics I posted are as much as I know about them visually, the playing field for you and I has been leveled in that regard. I'm not an expert on these particular warships; I'm a fan of the ones with more, shall we say, "classical" lines.

One thing troubles me though, there appear to be paint "touch up" areas on the frigate that are either a slightly different shade of paint or were in the process of drying at the time. May be a defect that only shows under camera flash too. Did you notice it?

Aside from that, she looks fine.  :-))
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2012, 11:48:29 am »

Wow what vision you have,
Very good obversation you have Harquebus must be part of your training haha.
The areas are indeed a different shade as I was just touching up and used the incorrect grey.
I have since ordered the correct shades of both the light and dark greys to finish her off.
Thank you for your kind comments also and look forward to some more.@
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.