Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hmas Hammersley Crest  (Read 20980 times)

Hilux5972

• Shipmate
Hmas Hammersley Crest
« on: September 07, 2012, 01:47:35 am »

Hi all.
Another Hammersley request. Does anyone have a photo of her crest? I have searched everywhere on line I can think of and no luck. I have however managed to get the crests of all 14 other armidales lol.
Thanks guys
Current Builds:
1/250 RMS Titanic

Past Builds:
1/250 Titanic (Twice)
1/200 DK Bismarck
1/200 HMS Hood

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Hmas Hammersley Crest
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 02:05:29 am »

Hi all.
Another Hammersley request. Does anyone have a photo of her crest? I have searched everywhere on line I can think of and no luck. I have however managed to get the crests of all 14 other armidales lol.
Thanks guys

This is a photograph of a Royal Australian Navy Fremantle class patrol boat, taken at HMAS Waterhen. The actual vessel is ex HMAS WOLLONGONG, although it has been modified to represent the fictional HMAS Hammersley, the centrpiece of the Sea Patrol television series.
As you can see there is no HMAS Hammersley,
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:46:17 am »

Hullo Richard ....good to have you back posting again....

Many years ago I had the pleasure of an hour on Sydney harbour on the same HMAS Wollongong   ;D ....my Group Section Leader in above water weapons was requested to provide a technical comment on a hydraulic system issue on board...which was not weapons related  :o....so with me hailing from Wollongong ...I was the obvious choice ....

& yes before anyone asks....I did manage to correctly diagnose the hydraulic issue cause..... {-) Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:58:18 am »

You can get a shirt with embroidered crest so they must have made one :-)

http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=1503&s=shopProductInfo&t=shopProductInfo&productId=1016

found this though

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:27:11 pm »

Matey check with Department of Defence and also Navy Department, they will put you on to the correct track if their is a HMAS Hammersley I think its the boat in the TV series and is just a fictional name myself, could be wrong though but Navy people will help especially tell you wanna join hahaha
Charles {-)

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 02:12:19 pm »

Hi Hilux.
              A comment I found in the mayhem archives from Mr Fitness .
    Hi Proteus, as you may know, the name Hammersley is fictitious, as is the pennant number 82. The numbers run from 83 to 96

There is some merchandise for it  although there would appear to be a crest on the T shirt the phot is too small to make it out. 
    And from what I found from the RAN`s own publication in may 2007

The “Witch”, HMAS Ipswich, has flown home for the last time. With sister ship HMAS Townsville, the last of the Fremantle class patrol boats, she will be decommissioned in Cairns on May 11.

Also leaving centre stage is Ipswich’s alter ego, HMAS Hammersley. The Ipswich was transformed into Hammersley for three months for the yet to be screened TV series Sea Patrol, starring Lisa McCune.

http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=1503&s=shopProductInfo&t=shopProductInfo&productId=1016

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wembley/antiques-collectables/hmas-hammersley-pb-82-baseball-cap-sea-patrol-cap/340829527

Frank   :P

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 02:24:02 pm »

Ship                                   Commissioning date                                   Commissioning location
Attack Division (6 crews, based at HMAS Coonawarra, Darwin)

HMAS Armidale (ACPB 83)   24 June 2005                                           Darwin, Northern Territory
HMAS Larrakia (ACPB 84)   10 February 2006                                   Darwin, Northern Territory
HMAS Bathurst (ACPB 85)   10 February 2006                                   Darwin, Northern Territory
HMAS Albany (ACPB 86)   15 July 2006                                           Albany, Western Australia

Assail Division (6 crews, based at HMAS Coonawarra, Darwin)

HMAS Pirie (ACPB 87)           29 July 2006                                           Port Pirie, South Australia
HMAS Maitland (ACPB 88)   29 September 2006                                   Newcastle, New South Wales
HMAS Ararat (ACPB 89)   13 November 2006                                   Melbourne, Victoria
HMAS Broome (ACPB 90)   10 February 2007                                   Broome, Western Australia

Ardent Division (6 crews, based at HMAS Cairns, Cairns)

HMAS Bundaberg (ACPB 91)   3 March 2007                                           Bundaberg, Queensland
HMAS Wollongong (ACPB 92)   23 June 2007                                   Sydney, New South Wales
HMAS Childers (ACPB 93)   7 July 2007                                                   Cairns, Queensland
HMAS Launceston (ACPB 94)   22 September 2007                           Launceston, Tasmania

Aware Division (3 crews, based at HMAS Coonawarra, Darwin)

HMAS Maryborough (ACPB 95)   8 December 2007                           Brisbane, Queensland
HMAS Glenelg (ACPB 96)   22 February 2008                                   Adelaide, South Australia

There is no Hammersley, it is fictional.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:33:18 pm »

Sorry to correct you dicky but you somehow picked the wrong freemantle RE:  The vessel ex HMAS WOLLONGONG,  modified to represent the fictional HMAS Hammersley, the
    centrpiece of the Sea Patrol television series, is actually HMAS Ipswitch.

Frank.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 04:24:42 pm »

Both right actually.

The first season featured two real Fremantle class patrol boats, whose appearances were conflated to become HMAS Hammersley (PTF 202).[1] HMAS Wollongong was used for filming in Sydney, while HMAS Ipswich was used for six weeks of filming off Dunk Island in Queensland.[5] Hammersley serves under the fictional naval command structure of "NAVCOM", and was decommissioned during the final episode of the first season. HMAS Kingston (PTF 205), a second fictional Fremantle class boat, is mentioned in several episodes and appears in the ninth episode: Kingston shares her pennant number with real patrol boat HMAS Townsville.

Cap from the Armidale class HMAS Hammersley
When the first season was being filmed, it was predicted that later seasons would replace Hammersley with the newer Armidale class patrol boat.[1] Subsequent seasons have used an Armidale class ship, also named HMAS Hammersley, with the hull number 82.[6] For Season 2, footage from two ships was conflated to represent Hammersley: 42 of the 86 days of the series filming were spent aboard HMAS Broome, with later pick-up filming aboard HMAS Launceston

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 05:35:27 am »

DickyD's info is absolutely correct O0 and can be verified by doing a Google search.

Peter.

sjbatche

• Shipmate
    • Steve's Model Ship Shed
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 07:17:00 am »

The question about the crest for HMAS Hammersley really got me thinking as I am almost finished my own model of her. My first reaction was that there isn’t going to be a crest as it is a fictional ship and the producers of Sea Patrol wouldn’t go to the trouble of making a crest. To check I watched a couple of episodes of Sea Patrol and to my surprise there was a crest on the side of Hammersley in some shots when she was along side. I grabbed a couple of screen shots from a DVD to get a closer look.

Unfortunately the pictures are not very good resolution but you can see the general idea of the crest. It looks very similar to the crest of HMAS Broome but instead of an arm holding a hammer it seems to have a picture of Thor, the same as on the shoulder patch in an earlier post. I am assuming that it is Thor as this was a prop in one of the early episodes of season one of Sea Patrol. I am also assuming that the motto says: Strike First, again the same as the shoulder patch.

Not sure that there will be a high resolution picture of this crest available as it is not an RAN ship but it is still worth keeping an eye out.

Steve

My 1:72 models of HMAS Wollongong and HMAS Hammersley

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 07:25:18 am »

Whilst 'Hammersley' may be a fictional boat name, O0 O0 O0

http://www.australiantelevision.net/sea_patrol/hammersley.html

Hamersley actually exists, albeit a WA Range in the Pilbara. O0 O0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamersley_Range.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 11:50:31 am »

Hi.
     Seems sea patrol even has interest in Deutschland.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/HMAS-Hammersley-/110946109827?pt=RC_Modellbau&hash=item19d4e74983

Frank.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 03:08:38 am »

Sorry to say this.  As fictional a model as is H.M.A.S. Hammersley in real life.
So much out of proportion and so many incorrect details that it is only a vague representation of an Armidale class.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 04:51:58 am »

Sorry to say this.  As fictional a model as is H.M.A.S. Hammersley in real life.
So much out of proportion and so many incorrect details that it is only a vague representation of an Armidale class.

A very poor representation indeed, Brian - but it has been sold......for 197 Euros :o

Peter.

Hilux5972

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 06:15:39 am »

Hi All

I am fully aware that Hammersley is a completely fictional Armidale Class Boat, But she still has a crest. Ill keep Looking I guess.

Hilux
Current Builds:
1/250 RMS Titanic

Past Builds:
1/250 Titanic (Twice)
1/200 DK Bismarck
1/200 HMS Hood

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 01:34:26 am »

You could try emailing Channel 9 TV that made the series:-
customer.service@ninemsn.com.au

plugger

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 06:06:38 am »

photos from www.sea-patrol.com   Not the sharpest photos. but best I have found.

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:25 am »

All the surrounds of the crests are the same AFAIK so take the picture in the cloth badge add it to another crest and change the motto to Strike First.

The motto for our ship was so lame "return to the sea" not a fighting word to be seen {:-{

Nick

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:55 pm »

Hello

Since your talking about Crests, I thought I could ask the group. Does anyone know from whom I could buy a Crest for my Frequently class and Armidale Class, both still in planning stages only, of HMAS Wollongong. That`s my home state and that`s what both my ships will carry some day. I would also like the Wollongong Name plate as well.

As for scale I think I will go with 1/72 scale for now BUT might go up One size, thats yet to be determined. It ALL depends on the gentlemen there in Australia that produces those Excellent Cast fittings for the Armidale ship.

Please let me know about the Crest and Name plates.

Thanks for your Help.

George

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 02:02:13 am »

George, I assume you mean Fremantle Class, not Frequently? The Crest for HMAS Wollongong, Armidale Class, can be seen here http://www.navy.gov.au/HMAS_Wollongong, and as far as I can ascertain the same crest was used for the Fremantle Class boat, as shown here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Wollongong_(FCPB_206) If you look closely you can see there is a slight difference between the two.

I made the crest for my Armidale Class by copying the graphic from the navy web site and printing it on to decal paper, using ink jet decal paper available from Crafty Computer Paper. As far as I know the crests are not commercially available, although others may know differently.

I made the name plate using adhesive vinyl lettering from BECC, although I used white letters when they should be stainless steel.

Peter.

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 02:25:12 am »

Hello

Thank You Mr. Fitness for the information. I am still very new to computers and I am Not sure of the printing information you gave me. If the ships are 1/72 how do I get the scale printing of the Crests in that size? I have heard of BECC will give them a look for the lettering you mentioned. What size of letters matches 1/72 scale?

Typing I am to blame, too many fat fingers and hand tremors.

Thank you for All your information and help.

George

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 09:05:30 am »

Crests in general:  I recently made a ships crest for HMS Amazon at 1/96 scale.  First you need a good detailed image of it. 

Do not try to reduce the size of the pixel image (eg JPG), you will only get reduced pixels and no detail.
I used a desktop publisher program to copy/paste the image into, then pick up one corner to resize it.  All the detail stays intact.
In my case I use Microsoft Publisher.  Once reduced to the right size print on decal paper or gloss paper, cut out and fit, then protect with matt or semi gloss varnish.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 01:56:35 am »

Incidentaly the crest is removed when at sea.
In the sea going picture of H.M.A.S. Maryborough you can see the attachment points just in front of the bridge.

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 02:49:17 am »

Hello

Can you explain why the Crest is removed when a ship goes to sea but the name plate is still on?

Just curious that`s all.

Thanks

George
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.