Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from an old salt. (help!)  (Read 1286 times)

FishHead

• Shipmate
  • Happy Days!
    • The HMS Tartar Association
Hello from an old salt. (help!)
« on: September 07, 2012, 04:01:12 pm »

Hi All,
I returned to scale modelling about a year ago, after a short break (about 30 years!). I built a few plastic kits just to check whether I can still do it, or should that be see to do it? So far so good.

As the founder and web-master for the HMS Tartar Association I have long harboured (no pun intended) the idea of building a static model of HMS Tartar (type 81 GP Frigate) to display at our annual reunion. Now that I am back at the modelling bench I can feel the urge coming on quite strong.

The only kit I have traced (correct me if I'm wrong) is the Deans Marine Nubian/Mohawk kit in 1/96th scale but, I'm unable to find any info on the kit, how good it is, the level of detail and availability of scale accessories etc.

Can anybody give me the low down on this kit? Is it worth it? Or should I be looking for plans with a view to scratch building? Thanks in anticipation. Great forum BTW.
Keith 'Scourge of the U Boats'
So many models, so little time!

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello from an old salt. (help!)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:11:52 pm »

Hi FishHead, welcome to the Forum. :-))

I built a Deans Tribal class Frigate some years ago and it turned out pretty well.

Served on two Tribal classes; MOHAWK 1963 and ESKIMO 1976.

Most of the kit that "comes with" is usable and the only problem I encountered during the build was recessing the anchors into the bow. (Perhaps the hull mould has been modified by now).

The accessories span a few different "fits" on deck, and the basics are all well covered. Be ultra careful when fitting the bridge wings as these form the battery aperture on the hull line.

I would recommend this kit, but would remind you that if you intend inserting radio control, keep the topweight to an absolute minimum. :o  I found that the waterline was just on the limit when ballasted and completed.

Yarpie.

Yarpie.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello from an old salt. (help!)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:33:24 pm »

welcome aboard  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.