Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 808 Video  (Read 8442 times)

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
808 Video
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:40:42 pm »

A small video of New Brighton Taken with an 808 keyfob camera fixed to the deck of my Akula. I had to edit the video down to 6 mins and also reduce the volume I will have to lift the mounting a bit higher for the next use as it sits a bit low on the hull and picks up a lot of water noise. no video of anything under water as this was the first time I used my new waterproof container.
Hope you enjoy anyway.

http://youtu.be/kk5ROLWKWRQ

Regards Mark.
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

ken224

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 808 Video
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:46:18 pm »

Great one mark

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:30:27 pm »

I love the waterline view. Good work!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:40 pm »

That looks very realistic, Mark...much like the view the skipper would get  from looking through a periscope. Nice video, mate...enjoyed that.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:42:24 pm »

Also just had a look at the video the wife took of the day and their is some very good bits which I will edit on my days off and put up on u-tube with links from here

Regards Mark.

redboat219

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:40:40 pm »

What container did you use for the camera?
"Better is the enemy of good enough"

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 01:05:04 pm »

@ redboat219 the container used is a tictac container suitably waterproofed

I drilled a 5mm hole in the base of the tictac container then glued (cyno) a piece of perspex over the compleat bottom of container then ran a bead of silicone around the edge once that had gone of I noticed that the camera would pick up glare off the clear plastic so I completely covered the body of the container in insulation tape. I then pushed the back into the container without the camera and wrapped more tape around the joint  and put the complete unit in the sink with a weight on top  this proofed the water tightness of the unit to finish off I cut a tri angle of coloured tape and placed it on the top of the unit central to the lens to ease the lining up of the camera. I then produced a platform for the camera to sit on the deck of my Akula which can be removed and replaced in a matter of seconds (photo`s will follow later  if you want to see them )

Regards Mark.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:00:39 pm »

Yes it would be interesting to see it please, I have an 808 but had not thought of a tic tac container.

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:11:36 pm »

OK a few pictures and a quick description on how I made a waterproof housing for my 808 keyfob camera from a tic tac container

firstly the first pictures are of a large container for clarity

Firstley eat the tic-tacs then remove the labels so you have access to the container

open the container so you can seal the inside of the flap bit where the tic-tacs come from

If you look closley you can make out a round impretion in the plastic at the bottom of the container this needs to be drilled out using a 5mm drill

cut a piece of scrap clear plastic to the size of recess in the bottom of the container

Glue the plastic into the recess with super glue then when set put a thin bead of silicone around the edge of the plastic to waterproof the front

wrap the whole container in insulation tape this will cut out reflective glare but dont wrap the top cap yet on one side of the container
place a piece of coloured tape in line with the lens position this helps in lining up the camera to your selected view point

push your 808 keyfob camera into the container line up the lens with the whole at the front carfuly push the sealing cap into the back
and wrap more insulation tape around the joint. you should do this at first without the camera in to ensure watertightnes of the container

if you try this and it leaks with your camera in then please dont blame me I left the empty container in the sink with water covering it and a lump of lead ontop before commiting my camera
I hope you find this helpful

Regards Mark

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:54:05 pm »

Thanks for sharing Mark.  Great bit of work.    :-))

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 09:46:28 pm »

Chap in Australia made an 808 case using a Tic-tac box. Worked well, and becuase it's squishy, you can operate the buttons with the camera inside the case.

I made a small teardrop casing for my camera. The enclosure is GRP, with an aluminium bayonet ring and acrylic lens at the front.

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:31:48 pm »

Went with the tic-tac case because I didnt want a large casing on the back of the Akula and the tic-tac case proved to be the right size for my needs

Regards Mark.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 07:20:37 am »

In terms of displacement the enclosure displaces about 80 grams. I expect a tic-tac box displaces a good deal less.

merriman

• Full Mayhemer
  • I wanna go back ....
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 12:58:50 pm »

Andy was kind enough to provide me with one of his tear-drop shaped 808 camera enclosures. A very neat job he did: well designed, and excellent GRP and machining work is evidenced.

An aside to that. Here are enclosures I made for the little Swann type camera-transmitters -- these permit real-time viewing from the submarine through a pair of driver worn goggles. The illusion of 'being there' is so real that the view will make you sea-sick in a swell while cruising on the surface. I always had a shaky pair of sea-legs!

David

"Anything the human mind can conceive is possible -- you know that, Blake!"

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 02:58:16 pm »

Very nice David, the chances are that the frequency used over in the USA means that we cant use that over here but something like that with a little monitor at the side of the pool would really let spectators see what was happening on the water from a differant perspective

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 03:38:29 pm »

You can use 2.4ghz wireless cameras here. Some of ebay sellers flog the 1.2ghz sets- they're not legal in the UK, although I've seen them in use.

But you won't get the same image quality you obtain with onboard recording- the signal tends to skip about a bit, plus you must have the aerial above the waterline- som people set up a buoy with the transmitter inside, and a wire leading down to the camera. Back when Dave did those enclosures, the concept of a tiny video camera no bigger than keyfob was a far off dream. The only alternative to strapping a fairly large and cumbersome camcorder to your boat, was to transmit a signal to a pondside recorder.

Why not get the Vanguard in the water at the same time, and do a bit of tracking. Those videos tend to be the best type to watch IMO.

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 03:54:45 pm »

Its a fair bit of equipment to sort out in the hull of the Akula. I have seen the 2.4ghz sets you mention Andy, Please don`t talk about my Vanguard, having a few problems with it at the moment which I must sort out thinking of stripping her down and doing a complete overhaul on her cant seem to get her to balance submerged. seem to have spent hours in my paddling pool getting her balanced then take her to the pond and crapola go`s down tail first put her in the water on Sunday and guess what she went down nose first I cant seem to win then the rudder packed in think that is my fault though must try to stop putting the Akula in the water and running her for 5-6 hours then maybe I will sort her out.

Regards Mark

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 04:10:27 pm »

seem to have spent hours in my paddling pool getting her balanced then take her to the pond and crapola go`s down tail first put her in the water on Sunday and guess what she went down nose first I cant seem to win

Mark, I seem to be fighting the same thing on my Gato. She will balance out perfect then even run great for a while then (as you eloquently said) crapola - She floats at a 45 degree angle with the aft end down......I can relate to your frustration.

Moving back to the 808, there are many different types out there - which ones do you use and why?
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 04:25:47 pm »

Similar problems to what Jim experienced with his Vanguard. It sounds like trapped air, but you put plenty of vents in the deck, so that is odd.

Could this be sloshing in the tank I wonder?

Regarding the best 808 to get, get a Version 16, and make sure you purchase from this vendor, becuase she is reliable and trustworthy (not all are).

http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline365/16-Cameras-/_i.html?_fsub=4516628015

I have used Version 3, Version 11 and Version 16 of these cameras. Version 3 was the best of the standard definition cameras, but they used a 4:3 aspect ratio and could resolve a maximum of 480 lines horizontal. Version 11 was the first of the 720P HD keyfob cameras. Had a much wider aspect lens, a decent built-in battery charger for the onboard lipo and sharper picture.

The Version 16 is a much improved version of the 11. It has better colour (less staurated, but more realistic) the exposure control is improved. The battery is easily replaced, as it connects to the main PCB with a plug, rather than directly soldered. It's also very easy to configure its settings with a free windows based software utility.

You can also purchase 1080P cameras, however I think you are pushing the limit of the lens on these keyfob cameras with 1080P, and if you just want them for Youtube clips etc. then 720P is good enough IMO.

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 05:07:11 pm »

fitted 3 baffle plates inside the flood tank Andy with smallish holes to prevent slosh. I dont think the 12 volt sla at the front helps that much but I will keep at it, I am about 3/4 of the way through my Traf build will be ordering the battery at the end of the month which as you know Andy fits under the WTC if that works out then I will refit the Vanguard with the same setup.

@ salmon  I think the 808 I have is a version 3 I only use this one because it was ordered off e-bay and I have had no problems with it only thing I have forgoten is how to change the tiime and date.

Regards Mark.

merriman

• Full Mayhemer
  • I wanna go back ....
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 05:09:29 pm »

Very nice David, the chances are that the frequency used over in the USA means that we cant use that over here but something like that with a little monitor at the side of the pool would really let spectators see what was happening on the water from a differant perspective

Regards Mark

Which is just what I have done at a few venues:  I set up a big monitor (with attached DVD recorder that splits the signal between monitor and recorder from the video-audio receiver) up on a table, pool-side, for the crowd to look at. Meanwhile I'm off in a corner with the goggles on, out of sight of everyone, driving my submarine at their feet -- much to everyone's amazement. "Who's driving that submarine?" they would ask.

And I would invite people to look at the monitor, give them the transmitter, and ask them to try to keep the model at periscope depth, while steering and managing the throttle to follow other traffic in the water -- a real crowd pleaser! Some guys turned out to be pretty good at, 'periscope recon' driving -- getting right under, holding station, and getting a good look-see at the targets bottom and running gear.

The two shots here are of Rose using a monitor as I aimed the camera-transmitter around in a kiddy-pool for tests of the system. This makes the point that you can set up as many receiver-monitor links as you wish to capture the transmitter video-audio from a single in-water unit.

David

"Anything the human mind can conceive is possible -- you know that, Blake!"

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 05:26:45 pm »

I can now see me spending money on a 2.4ghz wireless camera system and monitor now
I hope the wife understands lol but hey needs must

Regards Mark.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 06:20:16 pm »

fitted 3 baffle plates inside the flood tank Andy with smallish holes to prevent slosh. Andy fits under the WTC if that works out then I will refit the Vanguard with the same setup.

@ salmon  I think the 808 I have is a version 3 I only use this one because it was ordered off e-bay and I have had no problems with it only thing I have forgoten is how to change the tiime and date.

Regards Mark.

Baffles slow down slosh, but won't eliminate it altogether. If you're slowly filling a tank, and the boat is out of trim, the water will works it's way to one end of the tank, shifting the C.G and can make the problem worse. Because the Vanguard is a very long but narrow vessel, even a small bit of air under the deck can cause issues. I understand the Sheerline Ohio was a problem child until  the batteries were shoved under the cylinder. Proportionally, the Ohio is a very similar boat to the Vanguard- just a bit bigger.

Your camera is not a version 3, it's a version 8. The video quality was a bit lower on the version 8, unfortunately. You can tell by the date and time stamp what version it is. On the version 3, 11 and 16 cams you can turn the time and date off altogether, which is the first thing I do when i get them as it serves little purpose for our uses.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 06:36:22 pm »

Mark, have a word with Ron Perrott on Andy's Facebook page about baffles...he's come up with a very clever idea which he's incorporating into the module for my Permit. It's so clever and so simple, it's brilliant...

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 06:50:36 pm »

Version 8 it is then Andy thanks for that dont suppose you know how to change the time and date on the said version 8 would be a help if some body could remind me.

Cheers for that Rich might just do that cos "it do`s my head in" to quote prof Steven Hawkin.

Regards Mark.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.