Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour pic of a WW2 Destroyer Fore deck.  (Read 5481 times)

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Colour pic of a WW2 Destroyer Fore deck.
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:29:25 pm »

Found this picture in a book, original colour print, of a A/B class destroyer in 1942. Thought it may be of interest, because of the stowage of berthing wires and the deck paint scheme, the colour is shown better in the book, but to me it is Dado red deck paint.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
Re: Colour pic of a WW2 Destroyer Fore deck.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:52:24 pm »

An interesting picture - that is the first time I have seen pics of an identification roundel on a british  warship
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:28:21 am »

There also seems to be no officers on the bridge....
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:32:05 am »

Found this picture in a book, original colour print, of a A/B class destroyer in 1942. Thought it may be of interest, because of the stowage of berthing wires and the deck paint scheme, the colour is shown better in the book, but to me it is Dado red deck paint.

Fascinating!  What book is this from?
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

reg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 10:27:51 am »

Can you please tell use what bookyou found the picture in :-))

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 09:14:38 am »

Hi All,
The book is Conways   THE WAR AT SEA  in photographs 1939-1945 by Stuart Robertson and Stephon Dent- ISBN 13: 9 78184 860456 Published 2007. I bought the book because of the various detailed pics with some in colour.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 11:42:58 am »

Hi All,
The book is Conways   THE WAR AT SEA  in photographs 1939-1945 by Stuart Robertson and Stephon Dent- ISBN 13: 9 78184 860456 Published 2007. I bought the book because of the various detailed pics with some in colour.

Thanks for that! Found and bought a copy off fleabay! Sorted
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

RNfanDan

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:47:18 pm »

While the photograph is undoubtedly a fine one, a correction to the text accompaniment, and some other information regarding the ship, follows (in no particular order of importance):
  • It is a "V&W" class destroyer, not one of the later "A to I" classes (the "A to H" descriptor may be a typo);
  • The pinkish-brown hue of the decking is corticene, a linoleum-like material, not paintwork;
  • The ship was most likely on east coast/ Nore Command service, when photographed;
  • As noted in the text, the photograph dates from earlier than 1942;
  • A number of Nore Command warships purportedly featured roundels for a brief period, early in the war, for specific missions;
  • The photograph also appeared (IIRC?) in a digital archive collection (Life Magazine, perhaps?) a few years ago.

I hope this proves useful! :-)

My thanks to dodes for posting the pic!
A hangar is a structure for sheltering and servicing aircraft.

A hanger is not.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 07:41:00 pm »

Very interesting. Roundels were used on CMBs during the First World War. I'd suggest that the reddish-brown was corticene and the light border the metal strips securing it, but the planks seem to show too clearly. As usual, what at first sight appears a useful reference just raises more questions!
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 09:08:42 am »

Air visability markings were applied to navy ships around the time of Munich and the Spanish Civil War.  There's a well known picture of Ark Royal wearing red/white/blue stripes vertically down the side.  Perhaps this is an even earlier picture than captioned.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:04:47 pm »

Not wishing to be controversial but I always thought that corticene was actually a brown colour as corticene lino was still used in the MoD(n) when I was working there, also the pic in the book was a more redder colour and the foredeck was grey.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 04:20:53 pm »

The 'much loved' corticene I polished as an artificer apprentice was definitely the same colour as Dodes was familiar with.
No red but more of a light tan which darkened when we applied the wax polish.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 04:50:06 pm »

Now I've looked closely at the picture here and in the book it looks like painted canvas stuck to the deck.  If you look closely at the deck below the bridge on the left you can see the edges "laced" together. 
On the same page is another colour picture which I think was taken at the same time.  It shows two ratings at a signal lamp and one is wearing a cap ribbon with the name of a ship.  This would make the picture pre-war as only H.M.S. was worn during.  The lamp operator appears to have the HMS only ribbon but I think this the censors handiwork. 

RNfanDan

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 11:20:51 pm »

That's why I failed my detectives course at the academy ( {-))!

TailUK seems to be spot-on with the stretched canvas, in its own right a decent non-skid material.  Now that my eyes have been "trained", it also appears that the rear of the 4.7" B mounting has a canvas stretched over it, and the deck surrounding the mounting (within the zareba) has white-bordered canvas over the steel plating, too.

Although the images no doubt are from the same original, the file photo I have (not from the book) is somewhat different in that the steel decks are "greyer", the overall hue and tone is not as red-shifted as that posted here, and the wooden planking of the compass platform/open bridge is more "natural" looking---not nearly as pink-hued as that, above. Despite the observations contributed, the vessel seen is definitely NOT an A-I class destroyer but this in itself, does not really help with its precise dating.

Q: Does anyone have (or can access) a book titled "The Battle of the East Coast" by JP Foynes?

The book is unavailable here from US dealers, but from a discussion years ago about this very photograph, I seem to recall that the book contains information about the Nore Command V&Ws and particularly, mentions the use of roundels during early WW2 operations in the North Sea. I have had the book on my watchlist for some time now, but have only been able to find it from UK dealers.

Thanks for posting these interesting and revealing comments, gentlemen!

--Dan

A hangar is a structure for sheltering and servicing aircraft.

A hanger is not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.