Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hood's Guns  (Read 8352 times)

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Hood's Guns
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:26:29 am »

Hi can anyone tell me the length and diameter of the main guns (15inch turrets) on HMS Hood? And what they'd be at 1/128th scale?

I've had a quick look but the measurements I've found are conflicting, 1 says they were 640.4 inches, but it also states that 'The barrel was 42 calibres long (i.e., 15 in x 42 = 630 in)', but at 1/128th (with either of those measurements) I'm getting a barrel of approx' 5 inches long! Which sounds too long to me? And also what would the overall diameter be, I know the calibre was 15 inch but what about including the barrel thickness? Thanks.

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Hood's Guns
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:05:59 am »

This page should help:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_15-42_mk1.htm

It states that the overall length was 650.4 inches but the bore length was 630 inches.

There are also some links to other sources of information.

Regards.
Roger

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:11:45 am »

Guys.....

Just as we now know that some of the reported dimensions of the pyramid's are a little  >>:-( ....the same must be said for the accuracy we are led to believe here

The actual barrel length suggested as [bore x caliber] = total barrel length is a  %% thought?

So where does the measurement begin?
1. At the closment point of the expandend breach block?
2. At the front position of the actual projectile?
3. At the rear of the projectile face we have the cordite bags??????

I do not know the answers here but believe a

"15 in x 42 = 630 in)', but at 1/128th (with either of those measurements) ....of approx' 5 inches"

Would be close to the mark........Derek :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:28:18 am »

Ok thanks, so the length seems it will probably be about right, but any idea's on the diameter? I know the barrels would be thick, but I've no idea how thick...

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 01:36:18 pm »

From the book Anatomy of the Ship Hood

These are the details provided:

Calibre 15"
Length of Bore 42 cal (630")
Length of gun 650.4"
Dimensions of chamber 20"dia x107.68"long; 30.650 cu in
Length of rifling 516.33"

It does not give tube thickness! But taking measurements from the barrel drawing in the book which is at a scale of 1/75 I calculate a tube thickness at the muzzle of 7", bearing in mind that the muzzle flares out very slightly, tube outside diameter at the muzzle I calculate at 28" Coarseness of measuring and rounding down to whole inches in my calculations has given the 1 " discrepancy, eg 7"=7"+15" bore should equal 29" not 28" as I measured. Near enough for model work at 1/128 scale though.

Mounting max elev 30 deg, max depression 5 deg.

I hope it helps, i can recommend this book for anyone building Hood.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 01:43:51 pm »

If you can get down to the Imperial War Museum, London (with a stepladder) you could measure the two 15 inch guns mounted outside!

Colin

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 02:10:22 pm »

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/crossing-the-line-1

Have a look at this newsreel and guestimate.  :-)

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 02:45:45 pm »

There's one measurement you migt find useful from the same book. in it  there's a profile drawing at 1/600 and this shows the barrel length protruding from the turret front at 'normal' stowed elevation (whatever that is) of 431", this changes depending on the elevation compared to the sloping turret front.

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 12:04:30 am »

Thanks for the answers, I will certainly get that book when I can afford it. Hope to be starting this project within the next couple of months using the hull from fleetscale.

Any other hints or tips for books or sources of information I should look out for (though I must admit I've not yet decided what year I will be modelling)

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 08:45:42 am »

One of the best sources of information is the HMS Hood Association:

http://www.hmshood.com
Roger

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 09:23:12 am »

Just found this in my files - gives a good idea of the thickness of the barrel when you know that the bore is 15 inches'

Colin

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 10:40:29 am »

The certainly give that building a "Don't mess with me" attitude
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 02:05:00 pm »

I believe the guns outside the IWM are from HMS Vanguard, which in turn are from a mixture of other 15inch battleships/battlecruisers. I don't think they will match the Hoods 15inch barrels because I remember reading that Hood had a different variation of 15inch gun compared to say the QE class battleships.
I might be wrong, someone with access to their books might be able to confirm this as I am miles away (8000mile) away from my resources!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 02:41:54 pm »

The guns outside the IWM are one from from HMS Ramilles and one from HMS Resolution and later the Monitor HMS Roberts. They are both 42 cal and according to R.A. Burt in his 'British Battleships' the QEs, R Class, Renown & Repulse and Hood all carried the same model gun. Hood's mountings allowed a greater degree of elevation.

Colin

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 02:15:22 pm »

There is a 14" gun of one of the KGV Class outside Fort Nelson, the big gun wing of the Royal Armouries museum, between Fareham and Portsmouth. The museum also has a number of smaller calibre naval guns, but is mainly artillery ordnance.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 02:39:30 pm »

Found this drawing of Hoods Y turret in a book of mine, please do not ask me what scale the drawing is but if you know the bore size you should be able to get your info of it.

There is one more drawing showing the verical of the turret from aft if you want that I will scan it.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 03:05:08 pm »

There is a 14" gun of one of the KGV Class outside Fort Nelson, the big gun wing of the Royal Armouries museum, between Fareham and Portsmouth. The museum also has a number of smaller calibre naval guns, but is mainly artillery ordnance.

For anyone interested in Fort Nelson I did a report for Model Boats magazine a while back: http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/naval-guns-at-fort-nelson/5275

Colin

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 06:22:52 pm »

Found this drawing of Hoods Y turret in a book of mine, please do not ask me what scale the drawing is but if you know the bore size you should be able to get your info of it.

There is one more drawing showing the verical of the turret from aft if you want that I will scan it.

That's a really great diagram, thanks, which book is that in? Looking for any details of 'Hood' to be honest, not just of her guns so all pictures and diagrams are welcome!

Thanks for all your great replies!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 05:37:36 pm »

The guns outside the IWM are one from from HMS Ramilles and one from HMS Resolution and later the Monitor HMS Roberts. They are both 42 cal and according to R.A. Burt in his 'British Battleships' the QEs, R Class, Renown & Repulse and Hood all carried the same model gun. Hood's mountings allowed a greater degree of elevation.

Colin

Thanks Colin for for correcting me, I knew there was something different between them but couldn't look it up without my copy which is stuck in the UK.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 09:20:00 pm »

Hi Biker,
The drawings came from "Naval Gun" by Ian Hoggs and John Batchelor  ISBN 0 7137 0905 7 published 1978.
Particulars of main armament 15"- weight 97.15 tons, weight of B M 2.85tons, total length 650.4", Length of bore (cal/ins) 42/630, Chamber dia x length 20 x 107.5, Chamber capacity (cu-ins) 30,590 , length of rifling 516.33", No.of rifling grooves 76,
Charge type MD45, Charge weight (lbs) 428, Projectile weight (lbs) 1920, Muzzle velocity (fps) 2450, Muzzle energy (foot-tons) 79914, Max range (yards/degrees)  23734/20deg    29000/30deg.
The info on the gun is from Ship Shape "Battlecruisers" by John Roberts, it has a few photos of Hood and some diagrams illustrating her armour protection etc, but no real modling info. Although there is a really good free plan which could be used to model the Queen Mary. But from the info above you have the length, you should be able to exract the necessary info for the width.
Can see why she came off worst with the Bismark engagment, even the Prinze Eugen out ranged her by about 3000yds, she was trying to take on two ships at once!!!

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 12:16:55 am »

Well, for the first time in my life I actually now have a list of books that I want! (I'm not a great reader, read 1 book in the last 4 years, War of the Worlds, I don't even read all of model boats magazine!)

I'll have to slowly acquire the books, maybe get a few for christmas. There's something about Hood that I think just looks right. The German battleships, and I know this will sound silly, but they look too 'designed' to me, too clean.

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 01:09:57 pm »

Many years ago I read a book entitled the mighty Hood which is a riveting read especially the world tour it undertook between the wars. The Hood was the most famous warship in the world between the wars and considered the most powerful, its frailities were not made public. That's why its loss was such a world wide news item when it was sunk, added to the huge loss of life it hit the British public hard. The real debate is whether Battlecruisers were a waste of time and money compared to a battleship?

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 09:42:20 pm »

Thats a good debate which could go on forever, though I read a good book on the subject which stated the only action they where involved for which they where designed was the first Falklands battle. But it is noticeable that when Fisher went so the builds stopped, but they where built for another time and era by the time of WW2.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 10:06:14 pm »

Don't forget HMS Renown pursuing Scharnhorsr & Gneisenau during the WW2 Norway campaign and having the better of the encounter.

Colin

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 11:22:09 pm »

very true but but the Repulse and Renown's ww1 encounter with Scharnhorst and Gneisenau really worried the admiralty with ammount of damage they took and were whisked into dock to have armour fitted ( as designed they had little to no armour )
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.