Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Royal Navy LCVP  (Read 4136 times)

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
Royal Navy LCVP
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:30:56 pm »

Does anybody have any references for a Royal Navy colour scheme for a 1944 LCVP (Higgins boat) ? I'm converting the 1/35 Italeri kit to R/C.

TIA

Steve

DannyL

• Shipmate
Re: Royal Navy LCVP
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:30:49 pm »

Hi,
Colours  for  a  RN  LCVP  would  be  Blue  and  white  camouflage.  Dark  grey  decks.  White  fittings  on  deck  area.  Pennant  number  is  red.

Photo  of  one  here  http://www.nevilshute.org/PhotoLine/PLD-1941-1950/116-a_wrensinlcvp.html

Although  RN  instructions  specified  the  colour  “B30”  as  the  darker  colour  WA  Blue  seems  to  have  been  used  more.

Colours  here  http://www.steelnavy.com/rnchips.htm 

If  you  Google  “Dan  Taylor  Landing  Craft”  you  should  get  a  lot  of  his  landing  craft  models  come  up  including  a  couple  of  shots  of  an  RN  LCVP.

Regards

Danny

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:33:56 pm »

Colours  for  a  RN  LCVP  would  be  Blue  and  white  camouflage.  Dark  grey  decks.  White  fittings  on  deck  area.  Pennant  number  is  red.

Interesting. Italeri give scheme with a) blue grey decks and internals, b) black, white, blue grey and pale green sides, and c) black markings. The blue grey being the same one that they give for USN schemes.

Photo  of  one  here  http://www.nevilshute.org/PhotoLine/PLD-1941-1950/116-a_wrensinlcvp.html

Nice, now where do I find 3 1/35 scale Wrens  :-) ?

Steve

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer

DannyL

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 09:39:26 pm »

Hi,
It  would  surprise  me  if  any  RN  LCVPs  were  finished  in  the  camouflage  scheme  that  Italeri  suggest.

The  only  photos/illustrations  of  landing  craft  with  3/4  colour  camouflage  that  I  have  seen  were  LCA  and  LCS  and  these  were  photos  taken  in  the  1941/42  period.

The  RN  did  not  start  to  use  the  LCVP  until  mid  1943  and  around  this  time  instructions  were  issued  to  standardise  the  camouflage  patterns  on  landing  craft.

The  Pennant  Number  could  still  be  black  but  in  mid  1944  orders  were  issued  to  paint  them  red  on  landing  craft.

The  deck/interior  was  supposed  to  be  grey  G 10.

Regards

Danny

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:24:10 pm »

Found this print in a book, showing LCVP,s in Norway about 1942. Thought it may be of interest to you have seen better colour ones in the past in other publications, but colour pics are rare for the time especially concerning British Forces.

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 07:17:02 am »

Found this print in a book, showing LCVP's

That's an LCA in a blue/grey (B20 ?).

The model is getting sprayed with primer today. I am close to deciding to take the path of least resistance and give it a USN scheme.

Steve

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 09:18:29 am »

Hi ,
Sorry if it is wrong for you the book labels them as LCVP's and almost identical craft on Fearless and Intrepid where labeled LCVP,s, I had three of them rebuilt and converted for the D.G department to lay Cables.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:20:40 am »

Forgot to say if are interested in British LCI.s have a colour pic of a flotilla at sea heading over to Normandy, if you are interested will scan an upload the pic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.