Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the Hobby - Seeking Advice  (Read 2231 times)

cillian_sheerin

• Shipmate
New to the Hobby - Seeking Advice
« on: September 12, 2012, 02:33:14 pm »

Hello all,
 I am a first time model boat builder who is seeking advice with regards my first project. I am studying woodwork in college and am currently planning my final year project. I come from a fishing background and for a while now I have toyed with the idea of making a scale model of my father’s fishing boat. The boat in question is an Ocean Tramp 36.

Although the boat itself is of fibreglass construction, I intend to recreate it using timber. I also have the blueprints of the boat which I intend to scale down. I will build the boat in college so I have a full workshop of tools at my disposal. With regards time, as it is my final year project I intend to invest quite an amount of time in the build as it needs to showcase my woodorking ability, for the same reason I want to make pretty much every aspect of the build from scratch where possible. As far as the budget of the build is concerned, I have no exact figure in mind but am happy to spend in order to achieve a high quality finished boat as it will need to be presented for assessment so I dont intend to cut corners. I also want the boat to be radio controlled.

I am proficcient at woodwork but am a complete novice when it comes to this sort of model making so any assistance which anyone can provide regarding any part of the build would be massively appreciated!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New to the Hobby - Seeking Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 05:06:34 pm »

Hello cillian_sheerin and welcome to Mayhem.

We would most certainly like to help you in your project. It would be nice if you started a build blog for us all to see. There are plenty of threads on here which cover all aspects of model boat building so have a good read. We could also follow your thread and offer advice if needed.

We also love loads of pictures and perhaps you could start with the drawings so that we can appreciate the task ahead.   :-))    If you put your location in your Profile then we can recommend local boat clubs etc.

Cheers

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:11:02 pm »

welcome aboard and good luck with your build  :-))

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:32:15 am »

You will get all the help you could ever need on this forum, & welcome aboard, Mick B.
Mick B.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:33:41 am »

You will get all the help you could ever need on this forum

And quite likey some you don't lol  :D

Welcome aboard :)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

Hello all,
 I am a first time model boat builder who is seeking advice with regards my first project. I am studying woodwork in college and am currently planning my final year project. I come from a fishing background and for a while now I have toyed with the idea of making a scale model of my father’s fishing boat. The boat in question is an Ocean Tramp 36.

Although the boat itself is of fibreglass construction, I intend to recreate it using timber. I also have the blueprints of the boat which I intend to scale down. I will build the boat in college so I have a full workshop of tools at my disposal. With regards time, as it is my final year project I intend to invest quite an amount of time in the build as it needs to showcase my woodorking ability, for the same reason I want to make pretty much every aspect of the build from scratch where possible. As far as the budget of the build is concerned, I have no exact figure in mind but am happy to spend in order to achieve a high quality finished boat as it will need to be presented for assessment so I dont intend to cut corners. I also want the boat to be radio controlled.

I am proficcient at woodwork but am a complete novice when it comes to this sort of model making so any assistance which anyone can provide regarding any part of the build would be massively appreciated!

Hmm... If the original is fibreglass then the internal constructional details will probably not be easy to reproduce to scale in wood, and you will have to design your own internal structure that is appropriate to support a wooden skin.

If the original is round bilge, then the common technique is to cut bulkhead formers derived from the ship lines, then assemble them upside down on a jig, and skin the hull with strips of wood. This picture shows an example. There are lots of 'old fashioned' model boat books showing this sort of thing.

You might be better off picking a wooden original, since you will be able to reproduce all aspects of that to scale....

How about a clinker-built dinghy...?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.