Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: viper rv15 esc suitability  (Read 2167 times)

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
viper rv15 esc suitability
« on: May 04, 2007, 08:26:57 am »

Pirate desperately seeking help!!!!!!
Have acquired of recent a Mtroniks viper esc rv 15 which states 15 turn motor max and 3.3kHz drive as opposed to their marine units that do not have a motor max and 1kHz drive. Being a complete ignoramus on this subject and yet through a small experiment have found this able to drive a graupner speed 400 ( geared down) which I envisage driving my newest vessel, a diddy 10 inch tug for scale only competitions!!! Does anyone out there know if I will blow something up using this combination or inversely does anyone have a use for this esc!!??
 Help please.
Before my dear wife smells the burning and chucks me out of the house...Ho! Ho!

kendalboatsman

Re: viper rv15 esc suitability
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 05:00:51 pm »

Hi Pirate,

The biggest issue with using a car ESC is the reverse. It tends to come in with a bang and I believe isn't proportional at all. I had that speedo in a Tamiya CRV and reverse tended to come in quite abruptly. The old 15 turn Sonik 4 RV15 was 60 Amp max rated and 16amp continuous running. I noticed that Mtroniks advertise the Viper RV15 has having programmeable reverse, although not sure to what extent.

Clive :)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 06:23:08 pm »

This level of power sounds like rampant overkill on a model 10" long.  What will it weigh when ready to sail?  Unless it is a highly unusual shape, you might have a very powerful submarine.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 10:58:07 pm »

Hi Pirate,

The biggest issue with using a car ESC is the reverse. It tends to come in with a bang and I believe isn't proportional at all. I had that speedo in a Tamiya CRV and reverse tended to come in quite abruptly. The old 15 turn Sonik 4 RV15 was 60 Amp max rated and 16amp continuous running. I noticed that Mtroniks advertise the Viper RV15 has having programmeable reverse, although not sure to what extent.

Clive :)
I dont know what car ESC's you have used in the past but modern ones dont operate like that. Every car ESC with reverse I know of also has brake effect. This also operates a regenerative effect on the batteries. The effect of slamming a car ESC from full forwrad to full reverse is in effect full brake. If the stick is then held full back, reverse will kick in but this is nowhere near as fast as half throttle forward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 22 queries.