Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Tamar  (Read 15464 times)

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
Small Tamar
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:10:08 pm »

Having just completed a 1/12th scale model of a 47ft Watson Class Lifeboat with the Solent cabin conversion, the RNLB Joseph Soar, for its current owner and having the boat and its travelling box cluttering up my main work space (the kitchen!!) which is preventing me at the moment from completing a model of the Whitby Trent, I dug out one of the Model Slipway  small kits I have stashed about the house and decided to give it a go.

The kit I am building is their 1/35(approx) stand off scale model of the Tamar. This is based on their small Trent model with a new deck overlay and a new superstructure moulding. 

The styrene mouldings ready for trimming. 

The trimming has been done as given in the instructions using scissors,craft knife and sanding blocks. The kit specifies a single prop and rudder BUT I decided that two motors and rudders should be fitted for no other reason than as the full size boat has two engines so should the model!! so the positions for the shafts was marked and cut out. The centre access in the deck will be removed later when the hull and deck are bonded to help keep things rigid at the moment.

I have made and fitted keels to give the stern of the boat a more Tamar look.

Simple 2mm shafts with 30 mm props have been fitted and bonded in place. These are not "handed" but as this is a stand off scale model I don't really care !!

Inside the hull two 400 size motors have been fitted, (which will give it plenty of go as I use them in conversions of the mini RNLI Severn Lifeboat) and a plate fitted at the stern to hold the rudder servo, battery pack and the blocks for the twin rudders.

Rudders will be fitted tomorrow and a couple of coats of primer on the outside of the hull.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Small Tamar
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:25:38 pm »

this is beginning to look interesting Mike!
Mick F

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:07:10 pm »

Hull now painted so refitting of shafts, props and rudders ( cut down commercial fittings) done.

The rudders are operated by a standard servo as the forces are low in these small models.

Whilst waiting for the paint to harden the superstructure mouldings have been marked out and trimmed, then joined, filled and sanded where needed.

Finally for now superstructure in place on the deck moulding with stern deck overlay in place.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:09:19 pm »

I have sorted out the positioning of the r/c gear inside the boat and fixed it in place. Before anybody says it, the Bob's board is perfectly adequate for this model and happened to be one I have had lying about for some time. The amount of times I sail my boats the inefficiency of this system doesn't matter.

The deck moulding has had a couple of coats of primer and has been bonded in place on the hull.

The superstructure moulding has also had a couple of coats of white primer and a couple of coats of orange top coat and sits nicely of the deck moulding.

A trip to the lake is next on the agenda to check out the boat's performance before detailing takes place as the floatation/motor tests in my test tank in the garden were very encouraging.  :-))

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:28:57 pm »

Hey Look A 'Bobs Board'!!!!!    %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 07:12:33 pm »

No trip to the lake as yet. Everytime I was free to do it the rain started!!

So The hull has had the rubber fendering added. The instructions recommend using contact adhesive but I used industrial strength double sided tape as used for sticking trim onto cars etc.

At the stern I have added some extra detailing. This consists of trim tabs. rams, exhausts and the large hinges for the opening stern (non-working).

The deck has been painted and the hatches for the inflatable storage section marked out with trim tape.

Finally for now the boat has been given an identity. She is to be 16-05, RNLB Helen Comrie  ON1285, stationed at Longhope in the Orkneys.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:59:46 pm »

what's the name of the double sided sticky tape Mike, and where did you buy it.
cheers, neil.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 09:13:11 pm »

and how in h#ll did you get such a gloss finish on the hull please?
Mick F

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 11:07:57 pm »

what's the name of the double sided sticky tape Mike, and where did you buy it.
cheers, neil.

I bought it at a local motor factors ( the ones that supply garages), cant remember the brand as I got it a while ago and it was a large roll. 1/4" wide.  Just find a local supplier to body shops etc and ask them for a roll of the tape to stick trim onto the exterior of cars.

and how in h#ll did you get such a gloss finish on the hull please?
Mick F

That's two coats of Johnstone's non drip gloss paint in Oxford Blue applied with a 1" soft no-loss bristle brush. Applied over a couple of spray coats of grey primer.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 08:53:44 pm »

Pouring down with rain so I started work on improving the superstructure.

The rear of the superstructure as provided in the kit.

The structures on the upper steering position (port side is the main air intake) made to match the hight of the sides and moved more to the rear of the upper deck area.

The storage position for the three liferaft canisters opened up in the rear wall.

Access door to the interior made and fitted.

All the parts fitted in place and just needing a touch of filler and sanding before repainting.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 04:12:23 pm »

Now made the large stern rail from the supplied styrene tube. This takes some juggling, and lots of good old Anglo Saxon words, as the parts are curved as well as round so need fitting together very carefully to ensure a strong bond. The station name has been added along with the yellow and red upper hull stripes.

I have also made the three liferaft canisters that fit in the space opened up in the rear wall of the superstructure.

Lastly for now more Anglo Saxon and burnt fingers has produced the mast arch.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 05:05:26 pm »

I'm liking this. Am I right in thinking that all the white styrene detail being added at the back of the superstructure are your own additional detail and not part of the kit?

...and which orange are you using please, I can't see it on your workbench?!

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 07:00:04 pm »

I'm liking this. Am I right in thinking that all the white styrene detail being added at the back of the superstructure are your own additional detail and not part of the kit?

...and which orange are you using please, I can't see it on your workbench?!

Andy

The instructions give some of the details to add in sheet styrene but I am going one step further and making them more 3D and adding extras details.

The paint I use for modern lifeboats is a brand called SupaDec spray enamel. 400ml spray cans only cost me £2-75 from a local general tool shop. The shade is 2004 Orange, I use this over their Flat White primer.
I also use their grey primer on most things and their bright red ( finished off with satin varnish to reduce the high gloss) on the lower hull sections. The blue for the upper hull I mentioned in a previous post.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 08:05:51 pm »

Thanks for sharing the info, I'll have a look for a can. For reference, how does the tone compare to the Tamiya Orange I can see in your photo, or Humbrol that I cant, please?

Will be looking forwards to the next progression of the build  :-))

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 10:50:37 pm »

Main details added to mast structure which will be fitted onto the superstructure when the final coat of orange has been done.

Thanks for sharing the info, I'll have a look for a can. For reference, how does the tone compare to the Tamiya Orange I can see in your photo, or Humbrol that I cant, please?

Will be looking forwards to the next progression of the build  :-))

Andy

The Tamiya paint is a shade darker than the spray paint I use. The Humbrol I never use on lifeboat superstructures.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 11:46:33 pm »

Mike,
do you use varnish on all your models? mine suffer a lot of scratch and some chipping damage taking them to shows (27 this year) and I wondered if varnish might give a little more protection to the hulls? This then raises the question if they still get damaged,how easy would it be to touch them in with varnish involved?
cheers,
Mick F

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 01:56:39 pm »

Mike,
do you use varnish on all your models? mine suffer a lot of scratch and some chipping damage taking them to shows (27 this year) and I wondered if varnish might give a little more protection to the hulls? This then raises the question if they still get damaged,how easy would it be to touch them in with varnish involved?
cheers,
Mick F

I don't normally varnish things unless I need a specific level of matt/gloss finish on an item.

re damage: Not a problem I come across a lot as I don't normally keep the boats I build !!!!! {-)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 06:56:59 pm »

The superstructure has had its last coat of orange and detailing has started. The vents and covers have been added to the sides along with the small capstans on the front of the superstructure.

The vinyl stickers for the windows have been added and the boat now looks more like it should.

At the rear of the cabin the mast is in place and simulated rams added, the liferafts have been painted and added to their locker and the rear access steps fixed in position. The canister that holds the salvage pump has also been made and fitted onto the deck and the safety rail around it made.

The air intakes caused me some thought as I wanted them not to look like painted bits of plastic. The answer was found in a local craft shop, thin corrugated card (6 A4 sheets for £1 !). This was cut to size, stryrene frames added and then glued in place.

Finally for today the boat hooks have been made and fitted, blue on starboard side and white on port side, also the man recovery frames have been fitted.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 08:10:22 pm »

The ID numbers on the roof have been added, the boxes on the front of the superstructure marked out, the handrails along the sides of the superstructure made and fitted and the Lifeboats logo added.

At the rear of the superstructure the handrails are now in place along with the backrest for the helmsman.

The bow pulpit and the side rails have been soldered together and fitted in place.

The twin large antennae are now in place on either side of the superstructure.

More details added, in this case the screen wipers ( a little difficult to see as they are black on black vinyl!!)

On the rear deck the sampson post has been fitted and a capstan, turned from a lime dowel, fitted behind it.

The nameplates have been made using Photoshop and fixed on each side of the superstrucutre.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 06:42:58 pm »

The rails around the stern have been made and fitted in place and the hangers for the life rings made and fixed in place.

At the rear of the superstructure the fender rack and fenders have been made and fitted to the rails behind the upper steering position. The distinctive ball camera has been added to the underside of the mast arch.

At the bows two plough anchors and their fittings have been made and fixed alongside the pulpit rails, bollards and fairleads have also been glued in place along the deck edge.

fFnally for today the spray screen and the upper side rails have been fitted.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 06:48:26 pm »

looks--bonny as we say in scotland

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 07:34:27 pm »

thats a really clever bit of work Mike,very well done!
Mick F

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 08:14:23 pm »

Thanks guys.  :-))

Just keeping myself occupied, sort of twiddling my thumbs, whilst waiting for the big Watson to be collected and allowing me to get Dan's Trent back on the workbench.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 06:39:33 pm »

The glue is dry, the paint has hardened off so it was into the test tank this afternoon. With a 7.2v NiMh battery installed she sits very nicely in the water.

Under power she gets her nose out of the water and produces a reasonable bow wave and wave pattern.

Now need a trip to the lake and get a video of her in action on open water.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 08:05:06 pm »

she looks superb Mike......might you bring her to the Blackpool show for a sail.
neil.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.