Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Ourang Medan - Death Ship  (Read 1089 times)

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
SS Ourang Medan - Death Ship
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:49:49 pm »

"Ominous tales of ghost ships like the Flying Dutchman and the Mary Celeste have been passed down from one generation of seafarer to the next for centuries, but as eerie as these haunted vessels are alleged to be there is another even more disturbing maritime phenomena that deals not with ships that have been abandoned, but those whose crew have mysteriously perished. Arguably the most disturbing of all these legends is the shocking case of the SS Ourang Medan."

In 1947 — or, according to alternate accounts, February of 1948 multiple ships traversing the trade routes of the straits of Malacca claimed to have picked up a series of SOS distress signals. The unknown ship’s message was as simple as it was disturbing:

“All officers including captain are dead, lying in chartroom and bridge. Possibly whole crew dead.”  This communication was followed by a burst of indecipherable Morse code, then a final, grim message: “I die.” This cryptic proclamation was followed by tomb-like silence.

The first problem with trying to ascertain what happened to this now infamous Dutch freighter is the fact that there doesn’t seem to be any official records that it ever existed in the first place.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2011/11/death-ship-the-ourang-medan-mystery/

I've never been so sure of something I wasn't sure of...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.