Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokit Sea Nymph build  (Read 9580 times)

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
Aerokit Sea Nymph build
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:04:37 pm »

Hi guys,

Before I start let me say I'm a complete beginner with model boats, I have been building and flying planes and helis for a while. So what got me into this boat lark?

I have a toddler (~3years old) who we quite often take to the children's play area in a local park; Broomfield Park here in London. On the way to the kids area there is a fairly well attended model boat club using what I believe to be a purpose built boating lake which dates from many years ago. He loves watching the little boats on the pond, seemingly more interested in them than my noisy planes! One day my wife suggested I build him a little boat, well how could I refuse!

I'm a great fan of vintage model aircraft, and while flipping through a '70s vintage Keil Kraft catalogue I found a selection of boats from the Aerokit range, a bit of googling later lead me to the Vintage Model Boat Company who are producing laser cut kits of some of this range. Not being one to think things through completely before diving in! I soon found myself in possession of a Sea Nymph kit.

So this is how I got here, the rough plan is to try and use a 7.2v buggy NiMH pack and a receiver out of a car I no longer use. The kit came with a 385 (I think?) motor and I have a spare 9g mini servo. So I'll need a rudder, prop shaft, prop and ESC.

Being mostly a thing for my kid to play with I dont intend to go to town on detailing. Simple but nicely done is sort of what I'm aiming for!

This is a scan of the KK catalogue.

I should add that I've finished this build now, I'll just post a few messages with pics of the build below.
My adventures in RC modelling blog: http://riviera.org.uk/

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Aerokit Sea Nymph build
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:12:17 pm »

Excellent ! looking forward to seeing how you got on and I hope it's  :-)going to start your youngster on the modelling route too ....
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:22:06 pm »

Artistmike - I hope so too, he seems to love the planes and helis I fly although he isnt keen on the noise of the IC engines! He had a happy hour playing with the Nymph on the pond today, so it seems to have gone down well!

Progress started off pretty quick, the laser cutting is very nice and before long you end up with the basic structure assembled.

II only took the odd picture while going along, but you'll get the idea.

First up is the keel, you can see the front and rear formers have been attached in this shot, as has the breasthook.

Now this may look like some crazy goings on but trust me, it is all square. I've no real building area at home so I have to improvise. The window sill is at a slant, but the two cabin sides are perpendicular to the former and it is all clamped up so it stayed that way!

This is the main structure built. Next up was some fiddling with the angled windows above the cabin roof.

The rear cabin area is something which troubled me a bit. The floor originally was quite low, but I needed to raise it sufficiently to hide my NiMH under it, I was just worried it might be too high to look good. At this stage, I was also wondering where to put the rudder servo. I didn't much want to raise the floor enough to have it under it, so I thought maybe build a box at the back and decorate it as a seat.

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:28:09 pm »

I visited the local model shop (308 Holloway Road here in London) where I bought a nice propshaft, prop, motor mount, UJ and a little ESC. The ESC is NiMH, not LiPo, because I wanted to make use of some buggy NiMH cells, rather than my aircraft LiPos.

At this point I had all but completed the upper cabin area and the hatch. Everything needs shaping but it is all together. The one pain was the gap between the two upper windows, they were too short and I had no ply in, so I've left a gap and cut a wedge shape out of offcuts to fit in the gap.

The biggest progress is the motor is mounted. I had to lower the mount plate, cut some wedge shaped bearers and still had to shave a bit out of the plate because the motor was still sitting too low. It all feels solid though and the motor is a straight run to the prop shaft so I'm happy. The propshaft is still too long in this shot.

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:32:36 pm »

At this point I had the rudder in and the servo mounted on a couple of bearers, everything was tested with the radio and seems fine.

I was wondering how much movement the rudder needed, but since trying her on the water it seems to have enough!

The next thing was the power pack. I had pondered splitting a pack into two 3 cell packs, but decided against this because my son and I do sometimes still put these packs back in a Tamiya HotShot. I came up with a solution though, having eased the middle former a little (about 1/4") it fitted without having to raise the cabin floor that much. It probably would look better lower but I'm happy with how it went together. I've also put little bearers around the outside of the hatch for it to rest on. Of course I was hoping that cutting a chunk out of the middle of that former wouldn't weaken the boat too much, this was designed for a 1-1.5cc diesel which would cause a load more vibration and stress than my little leccy motor. At least that was my working theory!

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 08:37:13 pm »

By this point I had given all of the internals of the boat a coat of resin (Z-Poxy Finishing Resin).

Then I decided to tackle the hull sheeting, which I have to admit I was not looking forward too! I roughed out a couple of carboard templates which helped a lot and before long I had the two lower sheets attached.

My thoughts then turned to the side sheeting. I figured it would look best overlapping the decking rather than the other way so I got the breasthook and side decking attached first.

The final pics show it all attached but not trimmed to shape.

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:42:48 pm »

After a few busy evenings bending plywood and much sanding, construction was all but finished.

We were planning on visitng my father at the weekend and the toddler was very keen to take his new boat to show granddad, as a result I pushed on and gave the entire boat two coats of resin (Z Poxy finishing ). I had yet to finish the rudder servo cover/rear seats but figured given it will be a removable hatch it can be built later.

I had never used resin as a finishing technique and I have to say I was a bit nervous, but I shouldn't have been! It went on really nicely; two thin coats applied with a brush and excess wiped off with a sponge. The last coat needed a little cutting back with some wet and dry before painting.

With the second coat dry I installed the radio gear which went in pretty easily because of the test fit before applying the side sheeting. The battery was just plonked on the bottom of the hull at this point :)

After all that we were both as excited as each other to put her in the bath, I'm pleased to report all went well, happily going back and forth without sinking! The only water ingress appeared to be from the top of the rudder outer tube, although it was only very slight and since then I've put a little grease in both the propshaft tube and rudder tube which seems to have solved that.

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 08:49:35 pm »

While on holiday we managed to try her out on the pond in the pleasure gardens in Warminster, I shot a little video which you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnRQZEEReGY

And also on grandads swimming pool, which is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRyCziUh5Co

Can you embed youtube videos on this forum?

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 08:51:55 pm »

After coming back from holiday I managed to make a bit of progress. The hatch at the back was built, I went for a sort of sun deck type affair rather than a seat. I asked SWMBO for a little bit of sun lounger 'type' fabric from her enormous collection to cover it with, I was expecting Cath Kidston!

I removed all the electronics, ready for some gentle rubbing down with wet and dry and a few coats of paint.

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »

The painting begins!

Before starting to use the epoxy finishing resin I was worried it would be really hard to sand to a nice finish, but I needn't have been concerned. I sanded the entire boat with some 400 grit and the resin finish looked fantastic. I am begining to think maybe I should try resin on an aircraft at some point!

The decking area will be left as wood, so that had to be masked up first.

Then I gave everything a coat of primer.

I used Halfords acrylic spray cans for both the primer and top coat. Next was to cut this back when properly dried, and then spray the top coat. Those green lego blocks needed a lot of coats!

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 08:57:04 pm »

Top coat, then! I flatted down the primer with some 1200 grit wet 'n' dry and then masked up the colour separation line down the hull.

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 09:01:07 pm »

I tend to cover my 'planes with film or fabric and use the same for decoration, so masking and painting is not something I'm overly familiar with. However I pushed on regardless  I was advised to use Tamiya masking tape for its ability to give nice edges and lo, it appears to have worked.

The line at the top of the hull isn't perfect, it thickens slightly towards the bow on one side, and wavers ever so slightly, but in general I am pretty pleased.

Turning to the finishing touches, a bored day at work led me to order the fixtures you can see below, they were cast in a soft metal and needed cleaning up quite a bit.

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 09:05:20 pm »

She is finished!

The decals I made using an inkjet and some clear water slide decal paper. They were given a coat of gloss acrylic and then given another coat to seal the edges once in position. The name is what he calls himself, which is nothing like his name but hey ho, who knows what a 2.75 year old is thinking

As for the people well, as I said the boat is really for my toddler and apart from Thomas the Tank Engine, Lego is his next favourite thing. And there was no way I was going to have a steam train driving the thing! <*< I glued two 2x2 duplo blocks to the rear deck so he can chop and change the figures as he wants. I now wonder if I should have just used a entire plate of duplo for the rear deck, oh well he hasn't complained!

Right, that's that I think. I'll post some action shots I took up at Broomfield park today when I get a chance to get them off my camera.

Thanks for reading!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 09:08:58 pm »

what a bonny little boat she is..........it has whetted my apetite to have a go at one of these......will give my lifeboats somethinng to rescue on a "shout".

just have to ask the good lady seeing as christmas is coming along. O0 O0

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 09:31:15 pm »

Just had a chance to look at the shots I took earlier, some of them came out ok.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 10:24:18 pm »

nice wee boat and looks great , hope your wee 1 loves it  :-))

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 11:04:53 pm »

well done you have done a great job of that boat and i love the use of duplo for seats  :-)) will you carrying on with this field of the hobby on side to your aircraft?

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 07:52:00 am »

Well I bet your lad is thrilled with what you've made for him, it looks great and will give him hours of pleasure. You're going to have to build yourself something now as he's going to want to be down the lake a lot so you'll have to have something to play with too !   :D ...  These Aerokit designs have started a lot of model boaters off over the years and the Vintage Model Boat Company's revised versions have really kept to the spirit of the originals so it's nice to see another one take to the water on Mayhem.

A quick photo of mine, built for my grandson, which is their Sea Scout, which goes like a bat out of hell as I upped the spec on the motor a tad  :embarrassed: .... So, what boat are you going to build next ?  :}

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 07:52:41 am »

Stormbringer, he seems to even getting a little upset when I took it off him to change the batteries  ;)

Mike that is a tough question, before I started the answer would probably have been no, but now I'm softening to the idea!

I'm pondering a little sea scout for myself so we can both be on the water together, or perhaps if I can justify the cost a Sea Quen, something a bit bigger is beginning to appeal! But first, I need to get back to the Diamond Demon. I started before the Nymph and then had to put aside because my poor brain cannot handle two builds at the same time. I expect I'll have that finished before Christmas, so who knows whether it'll be another plane or a boat on the xmas list  :}

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 10:46:53 am »

Mike that looks amazing! Puts my simple effort to shame. I love how all the little details really bring out the character of the boat. I think if I build one for myself I will have to pay more attention to the details.

r.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 11:17:56 am »

I think if I build one for myself I will have to pay more attention to the details.
r.

I think that possibly the greatest fun in these types of model boat is that they are infinitely customisable and no two end up looking the same. When working to tight scale on the more serious model boating endeavours it's a different matter but the Aerokits range and the like have enabled modellers to just experiment with finishes, motors and detailing to create very individual craft.  Now that you've done one boat you'll have the confidence to go off piste a bit with your next one and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.... and I bet you do make another, they are totally addictive.  :}

rk295

• Full Mayhemer
    • My little blog
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 09:23:24 pm »

Funny you should say that but, today I was asked 'Where is daddy's boat?' Ahem, almost rude not too  ;)

Now I find myself reading about the Sea Commander, would need to be a bit nippier though, the Nymph with a 380 motor is just right for a toddler but a bit sedate for me! Maybe a brushless outrunner and a Lipo. Hmm. I must finish a couple of planes first.

r.

Tim B.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 12:50:21 am »

Hi guys,

Before I start let me say I'm a complete beginner with model boats...

Beginner ???

It rather appears not Sir ...

I follow your example.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.